Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 05:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times

Advertisements

I think gagne is out there somewhere?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:40 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default Astros Update

The Astros have traded Pudge Rodriguez to the Rangers for three minor leaguers. It's probably what's best right now, and Ed Wade may not be finished dealing yet. The best thing is for Houston to get some kids into their system and get them developed for upcoming seasons. Patchwork teams can only take you so far.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's definitely time for the Cubs to re-evaluate the closer spot...
... and they did exactly that. Gregg got bumped from the role which will now by filled by Marmol. I had said at the beginning of the year that Marmol earned the closer spot with his performance last year as the setup man.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
... and they did exactly that. Gregg got bumped from the role which will now by filled by Marmol. I had said at the beginning of the year that Marmol earned the closer spot with his performance last year as the setup man.
I agree that Marmol should have been the closer out of spring training, and that would have been based on his dominance in 2008.

This move, now, worries me. Not that they have many better options either, but Marmol has had major control issues this year. You certainly cannot be walking guys in the ninth.

I'd like to see Guzman get a shot, although he has been a slight bit shaky lately too. Nobody else out there, except maybe Grabow, is even worth considering.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I agree that Marmol should have been the closer out of spring training, and that would have been based on his dominance in 2008.

This move, now, worries me. Not that they have many better options either, but Marmol has had major control issues this year. You certainly cannot be walking guys in the ninth.

I'd like to see Guzman get a shot, although he has been a slight bit shaky lately too. Nobody else out there, except maybe Grabow, is even worth considering.
Here's what I have observed about Marmol:

1) He's a bit of a wild one so he'll always has a control problem to some degree -- even when he gets it over the plate 75% of the time -- but the problem is much less severe when you actually use him instead of letting him sit in the bullpen for a week getting rusty;

2) He usually doesn't give up many long balls, so even when he puts men on base he tends to get out of his self-created jams with little or no damage.

He had a rough patch last year as well, right before the all-star break. But then he did his thing in the all-star game, got his groove back, and continued his dominance for the rest of the season.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:27 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I generally agree with you. He is better when he is worked more.

However, he has had more control problems this year than last too. Brenly has remarked that he feels his release point is lower this year than last, and that is leading to his control issues. I also know he has been working on his mechanics to get back closer to where he was last year. He has had some good outings of late.

I also agree that the positive with him is that he is generally very difficult to hit, whether he has his control or not. There is just so much movement on his pitches that even when he misses over the middle, it is not a guarantee that the batter will get a good piece of it.

I hope he does well! Gregg has been painful to watch at times this year!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:22 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,974,118 times
The Cardinals are looking really good. How many times do we see a midseason pick up have little to no impact on the team that picked him up. Well not in this case, all 3 of the pick ups, especially Holliday, but Lugo and DeRosa as well have helped and it really has turned the Cards around the corner and put some space between them and the rest of the division. The Cubs have had bullpen problems and still havent been the offense that was expected in Spring Training.

G Man

Old 08-20-2009, 09:02 AM

Well the brewers season is over now it's just white sox baseball for me!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:10 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Well the brewers season is over now it's just white sox baseball for me!
welcome aboard

Old 08-20-2009, 06:46 PM

You have no Idea how pissed off I am for the Crew sitting on their hands(GM Doug Melvin) and owner Mark Attanasio. Did we get Cliff Lee...NO, Matt Holliday....NO, Smoltz....NO. WTF!!! I feel like a Jets fan. Next year we better start wheelin' and dealin'.

Hey Mark pull the trigger:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball