Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:38 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,224 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, will the C.C Sabathia trade help the indians or the brewers more? I think it helps the Brewers out immediately due to the playoff race and with Ben Sheets and C.C Sabathia at the top of the rotation, and Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, and Corey Hart starting to heat up, the Brewers will have a great second half, however, it sets the Indians up better for the future, they got Matt Laporte who has great power potential, and can hit between .280-.290 a year. You thoughts on this?

Last edited by dxiweodwo; 07-07-2008 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
This year? The Brewers. Next year? The Indians.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Isn't Sheets a FA at the end of the year also? Will they be able to sign one of the two?
Immediately, it helps the Brewers, but with the Indians' injuries they weren't doing anything this year anyhow. Next year, it helps Cleveland as Laporta should move up quickly to AAA.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Isn't Sheets a FA at the end of the year also? Will they be able to sign one of the two?
Immediately, it helps the Brewers, but with the Indians' injuries they weren't doing anything this year anyhow. Next year, it helps Cleveland as Laporta should move up quickly to AAA.
yup, he is FA at the end of the year, with C.C also being a Free Agent. I don't know if they will be able to sign both at the end of the year.....we'll see how it pans out. And Laporta is going to move up quickly, he's hitting .288 with 23 2B, 20 HR, and 64 RBI in double-A so far this season and don't forget the Indians got 2 young arms as well.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Getting Sabathia should really increase the chances of the Brewers getting to the World Series this year, and get a nice bump up in attendance (revenue to pay his salary). After this season I expect him to sign elsewhere, but the Brewers will get two first round draft picks in compensation. Based upon their recent draft history, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Brewers draft a star with at least one of these two picks.

I also don't see the loss of LaPorta to be too severe for the Brewers to compensate. They have plenty of batting in their minor league system, and will have a plus hitter at first base regardless of how they proceed.

LaPorta becomes a key player for the evolving Indians. He probably hits the majors in mid to late 2009, and should be a Pat Burrell type of impact hitter (.270/30/100) including a decent walk rate. Of the two pitchers included in the deal, Bryson projects as a plus relief pitcher, and possibly a closer. Zack Jackson is just a flyer, doubtful he has much of a major league career beyond being a fill in guy for a few starts when a pitcher is injured. Green isn't a certainty yet, apparently the Brewers are going to play him for a week or two at 2nd base so the Indians can evaluate if they want him, and I'm not sure who the alternatives are if they don't pick up Green (Cain, Lucroy, Brantley and Gillespie are some of the names I've heard from my sources).

Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Getting Sabathia should really increase the chances of the Brewers getting to the World Series this year, and get a nice bump up in attendance (revenue to pay his salary). After this season I expect him to sign elsewhere, but the Brewers will get two first round draft picks in compensation. Based upon their recent draft history, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Brewers draft a star with at least one of these two picks.

I also don't see the loss of LaPorta to be too severe for the Brewers to compensate. They have plenty of batting in their minor league system, and will have a plus hitter at first base regardless of how they proceed.

LaPorta becomes a key player for the evolving Indians. He probably hits the majors in mid to late 2009, and should be a Pat Burrell type of impact hitter (.270/30/100) including a decent walk rate. Of the two pitchers included in the deal, Bryson projects as a plus relief pitcher, and possibly a closer. Zack Jackson is just a flyer, doubtful he has much of a major league career beyond being a fill in guy for a few starts when a pitcher is injured. Green isn't a certainty yet, apparently the Brewers are going to play him for a week or two at 2nd base so the Indians can evaluate if they want him, and I'm not sure who the alternatives are if they don't pick up Green (Cain, Lucroy, Brantley and Gillespie are some of the names I've heard from my sources).
Yea, the Indians probably did that trade for Laporta and those 2 other pitchers were kind off an extra piece to have there. I think Laporta has potential to become a Teixeira-type hitter in his prime (.290-40-120), but he'll be a Pat Burrell-type before he reaches his prime...

Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
What are the odds are then that Cleveland signs CC in the offseason? They offered $72mil for four years. What will his value be? Only so many teams can pay more.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Quote:
What are the odds are then that Cleveland signs CC in the offseason? They offered $72mil for four years. What will his value be? Only so many teams can pay more.
I would put the odds as a very long shot. It is more likely that the Dodgers, Angels, Yankees (especially with all of the large contracts expiring at the end of this season) or Mets end up signing him to something close to $130 million for six years.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I could see them doing that, however I think he'd rather sign with a team that has a high probability of winning in the postseason. With CC in Milwaukee, I think attendance will shoot up, giving the Brewers more money, and with that extra money they might be able to sign both Sheets and CC after this year......we'll see

Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 PM
HGH

51 posts, read 21,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I could see them doing that, however I think he'd rather sign with a team that has a high probability of winning in the postseason. With CC in Milwaukee, I think attendance will shoot up, giving the Brewers more money, and with that extra money they might be able to sign both Sheets and CC after this year......we'll see
Not very likely, though. They will probably lose one ro both of them to teams that have a lot of money. The Yankees will probably pick one of them up in the offseason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball