Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:39 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,936,932 times

Advertisements

Another issue is the number of teams that should be in the playoffs at all. This year, I'd rate the Angels and the Rays as probably the only teams with really good chances to win the World Series. Two, or maybe at most three, additional teams have at least some chance, maybe even a halfway decent chance, with a little luck. That leaves three or four teams that have no chance to win the Sreries without divine intervention, or something pretty close to it.

It seems to be that way just about every year, no matter how the top teams compare to each other. This year's top teams are moderately spread out. Sometimes you get several teams so close together that it's really a roll of the dice which one will win the Series. '03 is probably a good example of a fairly recent season when that happened. Then you get a situation like the one with the Red Sox last year, and then the Yankees in '98 and '99, and probably the White Sox in '05 as other examples, where there is one team that stands all alone at the top for pretty much the whole season. No matter which of these scenarios you have among the top teams, you are still always going to have those three or four teams who are not really serious contenders. They're kind of just there to give the real contenders someone to play in the first round. Which leads to the question of whether they should even be there at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 06:04 AM

734 posts, read 2,620,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I think the Steinbrenners' opinions matter to everybody. The Yanks do bring in the most fans and revenue to the MLB. I think Selig cares a lot about what the Yanks front office thinks.

You probably also think that New York is still the capital of the United States, everyone else of ths planet yearns to live there, and that the wheel, fire, sliced bread, and the Pyramids were all created within New York.

And don't even get me started on Bud Selig. He's a freaking dolt.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,219,781 times
Steinbrenner should be a sportswriter for NASCAR.

When the writers' favorite driver doesn't make "the chase" they start crying how the rules should be changed.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
That's exactly the problem. It's not just the Yankees this year. It happens a lot. Also, to do a quick re-run of a point buried inside my kind of long post above, there is the issue of wild card teams giving up home field advantage in the first two rounds, even when they have better records than their opponents who happened to win weaker divisions and get home field because of being division winners. This year, the wild cards in both leagues will each have better records than one of their league's division winners, but will still be at home field disadvantage if those teams should end up playing in the LCS. The fact that these things happen often, not just to the Yankees this year, shows that there is definitely a flaw in the systerm.
I'm not sure why this is considered a "flaw" so much as just a matter-of-fact way the playoffs work. If you want home field advantage, you need to win your division at a minimum. If you don't win your division, you're lucky to be in the playoffs at all so I don't want to hear any whining about home field advantage. It gives teams a goal to strive for, improves the caliber of play among the top teams, and creates more competition and rivalries than simply taking the top 8 teams.

Is there a major team sport anywhere where division play doesn't matter, where it's just the top X teams with the best record? If so, why bother with leagues and divisions at all?

Old 09-27-2008, 01:21 PM

734 posts, read 2,620,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Is there a major team sport anywhere where division play doesn't matter, where it's just the top X teams with the best record? If so, why bother with leagues and divisions at all?
Umm, handball? The Steinbrenners must be big-time team handball fans.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:33 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,243,775 times
If the Yankees made the playoffs I doubt he'd be complaining. So let's just up and change everything to better suit the Yankees.

Like father like son.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:26 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,509,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
You probably also think that New York is still the capital of the United States, everyone else of ths planet yearns to live there, and that the wheel, fire, sliced bread, and the Pyramids were all created within New York.

And don't even get me started on Bud Selig. He's a freaking dolt.
I don't think New York is the capital of the United States. I'm not dumb, it's the Capital of the World.

Anyway, it is stupid. I'm hearing so much about how it happened to other teams and they dealt with it, but the Yankees aren't a team that is going to deal with it. Of course we're angry. The Yankees are better than the Dodgers, but we're not in the playoffs and they are. It's stupid.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
If the Yankees made the playoffs I doubt he'd be complaining. So let's just up and change everything to better suit the Yankees.

Like father like son.
Of course he woudln't complain... Do you complain when you're called in to the doctor's office even though someone who was there first has to wait longer? But if it's you on the other end of that, I guarantee you'll be angry. It's not our responsibility to worry about other teams' issues... We worry about the Yankees and the Yankees only.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:37 PM

8,807 posts, read 10,265,364 times
They probably would not have gone far anyway, and besides, a team with 26 world titles shouldnt be complaining when some teams dont even have one title

Old 09-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
They probably would not have gone far anyway, and besides, a team with 26 world titles shouldnt be complaining when some teams dont even have one title
Like I said, other teams had the chance to state their case and they didn't... But in New York, we exercise our 1st Amendment rights. We don't like the setup for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball