Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
The problem here with Buffalo is. Us taxpayers are already paying for the TaxPayer Stadium in Orchard Park, NY for the losing Bills. So we would have to build another stadium in Buffalo if the Bisons became a major league team. Why? U ask, because Dunn Tire Park, now Coca-Cola Field can't hold enough people to make it a Major League Team. Now if we still had the old War Memorial Stadium a.k.a The Rockpile, then yeah we could easily have a major league team. Honestly i would love it if the Buffalo Bisons moved up. Keep the name, but just moved up.
You're partially correct Jazzy. Dunn Tire Park was originally built for pro ball and can be expanded to seat an addtional 20,000, making it a 40,000 stadium. There would be no reason to build a brand new park. Plus extra luxuary boxes can be fitted within the desing too. However, any additions to the ball park would be at the expense of the taxpayers. HTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:17 PM

730 posts, read 2,054,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Not a great idea.

Memphis belongs in the South, and Washington can be in the North.
The main reason why I have Memphis in the North is because if the Orioles are in a Southern Division, Washington should be in a similar geographic division with Baltimore.

In addition, The NHL's Central Division has Nashville, so I thought having Memphis in the NL North would make it similar to the NHL Central.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:15 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
I think northern New Jersey should get a team to break the Yanks/Mets stranglehold on the tri-state market, especially if revenue sharing does not come to fruition. Charlotte or Nashville would be my second choice.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
The problem here with Buffalo is. Us taxpayers are already paying for the TaxPayer Stadium in Orchard Park, NY for the losing Bills. So we would have to build another stadium in Buffalo if the Bisons became a major league team. Why? U ask, because Dunn Tire Park, now Coca-Cola Field can't hold enough people to make it a Major League Team. Now if we still had the old War Memorial Stadium a.k.a The Rockpile, then yeah we could easily have a major league team. Honestly i would love it if the Buffalo Bisons moved up. Keep the name, but just moved up.
If you lost the Bills, why not use their old stadium for as baseball park.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:34 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times
Quote:
If you lost the Bills, why not use their old stadium for as baseball park.
I feel jazzy means "losing" as in a team not winning

Old 01-25-2009, 08:40 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
You know, what's forgotten is this: Baseball did have plans to go to a two 16-team league format and the big discussions occurred in the early 1990s. The reason for the "delay" in the AL is still concerns over good pitching (or, perhaps, a lack thereof) and the DH rule's effect on that.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:02 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
You know, what's forgotten is this: Baseball did have plans to go to a two 16-team league format and the big discussions occurred in the early 1990s. The reason for the "delay" in the AL is still concerns over good pitching (or, perhaps, a lack thereof) and the DH rule's effect on that.
Get rid of the DH.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
I think Charlotte,NC would be a great idea and they have responded well in other sports, also Nashville,TN but having moved recently to the suburbs outside of Rochester,NY I think Rochester would be the best.Rochester has great support for the minor league teams and considering proximity to Buffalo it would be a great area with plenty of support.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,716 times
I don't think we'll ever see MLB expand to Las Vegas though it probably makes the most sense. I think that Portland is a lock. The second choice is a little tougher to call. San Antonio seems logical. This is a crazy idea but what about Albuquerque?

Old 03-21-2009, 03:40 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
If MLB could expand to 32 teams, what do you think the MLB would look like? What cities do you think could get a new team?

Current cities

Anaheim
Arlington(part of Dallas-Ft.Worth,TX)
Atlanta
Baltimore
Boston
Chicago(2)
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Denver
Detroit
Houston
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Miami
Milwaukee
Minneapolis
New York(2)
Oakland
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
St. Petersburg
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
Toronto
Washington DC

Possible places:

Portland,OR
Las Vegas, NV
San Antonio,TX
Virginia Beach,VA
Portland-no
Las Vegas-might be a good choice
San Antonio-already too many Texas teams
VA-not enough of a demand
*A team in the Carolinas (especially North)would be a good idea especially considering the growth in population the last 10 years.(Raleigh)
*Maybe an Indiana team(Indianapolis)
*Nashville
*Oklahoma City(has proven they can be a good sports city)
*Also the state of New Mexico can be a gold mine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball