Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 PM

87 posts, read 416,705 times

Advertisements

So what's the chances of a Colorado Rockies pitcher doing so well? Unless something really strange happens (it is baseabll right) Ubaldo stands a good chance of being a Cy Young winner. If the season ends right now I would say he's a shoe in.

Or course that's what I thought about Todd Helton the year he almost hit .400 and was the leader in most catagories. They called that a fluke because of the altitude even though his numbers were as good on the road. Then there's Larry Walker...

Could there possibly be a similar excuse to not give Jimenez a Cy Young award if his numbers and his performance continue to be so outstanding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,975,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davya View Post
So what's the chances of a Colorado Rockies pitcher doing so well? Unless something really strange happens (it is baseabll right) Ubaldo stands a good chance of being a Cy Young winner. If the season ends right now I would say he's a shoe in.

Or course that's what I thought about Todd Helton the year he almost hit .400 and was the leader in most catagories. They called that a fluke because of the altitude even though his numbers were as good on the road. Then there's Larry Walker...

Could there possibly be a similar excuse to not give Jimenez a Cy Young award if his numbers and his performance continue to be so outstanding?
The excuse for hitters was due to the offensive bias of playing in Colorado which most people accept is a valid one. Coors plays more fairly than it used to, especially compared to some of the new parks, but its obviously not a pitchers park by any stretch of the imagination.

So, why would a pitcher meet the same bias? That doesnt make any sense. In fact, the opposite would be true, if a pitcher can be so dominate in Colorado, i think they would get extra respect/credit for doing so. Ubalado could obviously get people out in Antarctica the way he is going right now.

Have to disagree with something you have said thought. While Ubaldo has been the best so far this year (its only May) he is not a shoe in. 2 time defending champ Timmy is off to a good start as well and one slip up, he would be in the lead. Its pullling hairs at this point and we are only through 10 starts so it doesnt really matter.

Ubaldo is great, i love him. I hope he keeps it up.

G Man

Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,315,939 times
Major League Leaderboards » 2010 » Pitchers » Value Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball

According to Fangraphs WAR Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball, and it's not really that close:
Halladay 2.7 WAR
Jiminez 2.2 WAR
Lincecum 2.1 WAR

2010 Colorado Rockies Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
According to B-R Coors Field's Park Factor for runs in 109. That means that there are 9% more runs scored at Coors field than a neutral park.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Major League Leaderboards » 2010 » Pitchers » Value Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball

According to Fangraphs WAR Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball, and it's not really that close:
Halladay 2.7 WAR
Jiminez 2.2 WAR
Lincecum 2.1 WAR

2010 Colorado Rockies Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
According to B-R Coors Field's Park Factor for runs in 109. That means that there are 9% more runs scored at Coors field than a neutral park.
I dont understand the WAR stat but, like most stats, it must be taken with a grain of salt. Halladay has clearly not had as good a season as Jimenez or Lincecum has so far.

G Man

Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,494,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
I dont understand the WAR stat but, like most stats, it must be taken with a grain of salt. Halladay has clearly not had as good a season as Jimenez or Lincecum has so far.

G Man
If you don't understand it, then how can you refute it? I don't disagree totally, but you could at least try to back up your statement with #s.

O man

Old 05-26-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post

G Man
One reason that Halladay ranks above Ubaldo and Timmy is because he's pitched a lot more.

Halladay 77 innings
Ubaldo 63
Lince 61

He's pitched an extra two games worth of innings.

He's going almost an inning more per start than the other two. That has a lot of value because he's better than whatever relief pitcher they'd have to bring in.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,619,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davya View Post
So what's the chances of a Colorado Rockies pitcher doing so well?
Find a copy of the Baseball Encyclopedia, and turn to the pitcher section. Huge numbers of pitchers throughout baseball's history have had career years, seasons when their performance completely dwarfed anything else they'd ever done.

I imagine you don't remember George Stone. He was good enough to make the major leagues, but no more than a mediocre pitcher with the Braves. Came to the Mets in 1973 and went 12-3 (best winning percentage among starters in the league that year). Then we never heard from him again.

The real test for Jimenez is not what he does this year--but what he does next year.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Ubaldo this year looks a lot like Ubaldo last year. So I'd guess that Ubaldo next year will look a lot like Ubaldo last year.

2009: K/9=8.17, BB/9=3.51, HR/9=.54, GB/FB=1.88, BABIP=.290, LOB%=73.5%
2010: K/9=8.24, BB/9=3.27, HR/9=.14, GB/FB=1.80, BABIP=.225, LOB%=90.8%

The things that Ubaldo has control over (strike outs, walks, home runs, groundball/flyballs) are generally the same this year as last. There is some slight improvement, which is to be expected for a pitcher his age. He should be improving from year to year.

The reason that this season looks so impressive is luck.
*Ubaldo's career BABIP is .294. Pitcher BABIP's are generally around .300. Ubaldo WILL NOT keep up a .225 BABIP. Just won't happen. He'll start giving up more hits.
*Ubaldo's career Left On Base Percentage is 73%. Pitcher LOB% is generally around 70%. Ubaldo WILL NOT keep up a 90% LOB%. Just won't happen. As he starts giving up more hits, more runs will score.

Ubaldo is an excellent pitcher. He's probably getting better. But there is NO WAY that he can be expected to continue putting up numbers like this.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
If you don't understand it, then how can you refute it? I don't disagree totally, but you could at least try to back up your statement with #s.

O man

Ok, i will.

Ubaldo made his 10th start last night, so now him and Halladay both have 10 starts.

Halladay, 77 innings as you mentioned.

Ubaldo now is up to 71 1/3 innings.

Halladay is 6-3 for a better team than Ubaldo's. Jimenez is 9-1.

Halladay has a sparkling 2.22 ERA and 1.10 WHIP. Jimenez has a historic 0.88 ERA and 0.93 WHIP.

Strikeouts are similar, Jimenez has more, 61-59.

Batting average against, Jimenez .176, Halladay, .250.

Its pretty clear that Jimenez is having a better season so far, through 10 starts, which admittedly is less than 1/3rd of these starters season, but to have a stat that displays Halladay not only ahead, but ahead by a good margain, means to me, that the particular stat in question is bunk.

I left Timmy out of the discussion - he has had two pretty rough starts in a row, but his numbers are still somewhat comparable to Halladays.

Halladay is a great pitcher and may end up having a better season because he is a horse and has the track records, but no one has been as good as Ubaldo this year so far.

G Rizzle

Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,947,814 times
Go Ubaldo!! I hope he keeps it up and wins the Cy Young! He deserves it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball