Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:34 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The main problem with Shea was, quite simply, that it was just another one of the cookie-cutter stadia put up during the 1960s. It was totally undistinguished.
That's exactly my point about Dodger Stadium...everyone brags about it as if it is some kind of classic like Fenway or Wrigley, when the truth is, its just Shea Stadium with palm trees instead of an airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 03:21 PM

16 posts, read 35,072 times
dodger stadium all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go dogers!! rape wainwright tonight like carpenter last night!!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 03:41 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
I've been to a game at Dodger Stadium and I was at a handful of games (5, plus one that was rained out) at Shea Stadium. Believe me, Dodger Stadium is/was a much, much better facility than Shea Stadium. As for the setting being the difference, well yeah, that's a big factor but that's ALWAYS a big factor. As an example, County Stadium in Milwaukee, even though it was built in the early 1950's, was architecturally not that much different than many of the classic ballparks that were built between 1909 and 1915. But it never was mentioned in the same breath as those ballparks. Why? Because County Stadium was surrounded by parking lots and not too much else near a major interchange in Milwaukee, while many of the classic ballparks were located in or near city neighborhoods and/or city parks and fit into their surroundings. People don't talk about Wrigley Field in respectful terms because of its architecture, they talk about it because of its setting.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:54 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Dodger Stadium by a longshot. Too bad it's hell getting people to stay for a whole game. It's packed for the bottom of the 9th tonight though.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:42 AM

623 posts, read 1,542,831 times
The "cookie cutter" style that was once condemned is now being more celebrated. That's how architecture works, first it's generally accepted, then it goes out of style, then it becomes a classic example of the times. A good example of another classic "cookie cutter" style stadium, one that is and was baseball only like Dodger Stadium, is Kaufman in Kansas City. I don't mind that style at all, actually preferred ATL-Fulton County over Turner Field. I love(d) the circular overhang roofs that went around the stadium. The "neo-retro" faze that constructors went through during the 90s up until recently is so fake and sterilized imo. I say Dodger Stadium is a gem. New Yankee Stadium, not so much....but maybe just yet.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
The "cookie cutter" style that was once condemned is now being more celebrated. That's how architecture works, first it's generally accepted, then it goes out of style, then it becomes a classic example of the times. A good example of another classic "cookie cutter" style stadium, one that is and was baseball only like Dodger Stadium, is Kaufman in Kansas City. I don't mind that style at all, actually preferred ATL-Fulton County over Turner Field. I love(d) the circular overhang roofs that went around the stadium. The "neo-retro" faze that constructors went through during the 90s up until recently is so fake and sterilized imo. I say Dodger Stadium is a gem. New Yankee Stadium, not so much....but maybe just yet.
While I love Citizens Bank Park, I have to say it was pretty cool going to a game at Shea Stadium last year in its final year....being in that type of stadium was like a trip back to my childhood, going to games at places like the Vet, Shea, Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, etc.

But anytime I get some nostalgia for the Vet, I just go see a minor league game here in Scranton. The stadium was built when we had the Phillies AAA team and was built to be a miniature Vet. The stadium is still pretty much the same, with its orange seats in the upper deck, the only difference is they replaced the astroturf with grass.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,870 times
Default LA Dodger stadium

LA Dodger stadium. One of the cleanest professional baseball stadiums. Scenic and historic, I love Dodger Stadium. I lived in LA for 3 years and had season tickets during that time. I sure do miss it!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat13 View Post
LA Dodger stadium. One of the cleanest professional baseball stadiums. Scenic and historic, I love Dodger Stadium. I lived in LA for 3 years and had season tickets during that time. I sure do miss it!
Absolutely kittykat! Dodger stadium is baseball's "Windsor Castle":-) I cannot think of another stadium that has had appearances of the Pope and the Beatles either!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:22 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,669 times
^^^^ Shea Stadium?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:46 AM

623 posts, read 1,542,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
But anytime I get some nostalgia for the Vet, I just go see a minor league game here in Scranton. The stadium was built when we had the Phillies AAA team and was built to be a miniature Vet. The stadium is still pretty much the same, with its orange seats in the upper deck, the only difference is they replaced the astroturf with grass.
I bet Michael Scott loves that place!

Grass > carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball