Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,637,633 times

Advertisements

We all know, that the Yankees were the team of the 90's, but who would you say were the team of the 2000's? Only 2 teams won 2 championships this decade ( Red Soxs, Yankees ), also, no team won back-to-back championsips, either. The Phills, were the only team to play in back-to-back WS.

The way I see it, with the Phills loosing, I will call the Red Sox, the unofficial team of the 2000's. Winning 2 WS, in a three year span, and playing in 4 ALCS, also helps. Dispite playing in 5 ALCS, in this decade, the Yankees, haven't gotten out of the first round from 2004-09 - and missed the playoffs in 2008. If the Phills would of won this WS, I would consider them the team of the 00's, by becoming the first team since the Yankees of the 90's, to win back-to-back WS.

As baseball fans, how do you see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,383,886 times
I consider the Yankees and Red Sox co-Teams Of the Decade.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:44 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,101,497 times
I'd say the Red Sox. I think they, for a longer period, struck the most fear throughout the rest of the league. I also felt they, for a longer period, had the best shot at winning the next title. I think it's also important based on their history - they broke their streak, and won another, whereas the Yankees' winning surprised zero spectators. One more title on the part of the Yankees? Yeah, probably, but tied? I'll give it to Boston. (This comes from an always-disappointed Indians and A's fan)

Old 11-06-2009, 07:54 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,929,130 times
Is there really any team of the decade, this decade? Does there have to be?

Strictly speaking, the Red Sox remain the only team with more than one championship this decade. It's not generally perceived this way, but in fact 2000, when the Yankees won their last title, was the last year of last decade.

What I really feel is that there is no "team of the decade" at this point. For the reasons given by Puddy and SilkCity, I would give the title to the Red Sox nominally if pressed to name one team, but I would really say that no team has stood out well beyond any other in the same way as, the Yankees of the '50's, for an extreme example, or in the era of the player draft and its tendency to promote some degree of equalization, the Reds of the '70's, the Braves of the '90's, etc.

With only one team in reality, and two teams in terms of common perception, having won two titles, no one stands out to the degree of those past teams. I would hesitate to say that the '80's had anyone who stood out enough to really be a "team of the decade." The same is true this decade. If the Red Sox were to win the Series next year, there would be your team of the decade, but even then, just barely.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 PM

364 posts, read 484,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
...whereas the Yankees' winning surprised zero spectators...
I could see that in '99, '00, but not this year. It's been almost a decade. To me, the lack of surprise would strengthen a team's case for being the team of the decade.

That said, I don't think there is a team of this decade. I think 5+ years from now I'll shrug my shoulders and say the same....no domination.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:20 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,499,185 times
It has no real relevance unless you blog/write a column and need to fill up space in one of those. Especially since there is no clear winner, so I think a more interesting debate would be what was the BEST team of the decade? I'd say the 05 WhiteSox, wire to wire regular season as the best team in the AL, 11-1 in the post season.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:52 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,247,132 times
There is no real clear-cut "Team of the 00s", but the team with the strongest claim is the Yankees. Between 2000 and 2009 they tied with Boston for most World Series titles (2), won twice as many pennants as the runner-up teams (4; the Red Sox, Cardinals, and Phillies each won 2), appeared in the playoffs 9 times (the runner-up Cardinals made 7 playoff appearances), and finished with a winning record every year (only the Red Sox also went 10 for 10 with winning seasons). The Yanks also had the best cumulative record over the 2000-2009 period by 46.5 games over the #2 team (Boston). Though no team stood out head and shoulders above the pack, it's pretty clear the Yankees were the best team of the past decade.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,157,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
There is no real clear-cut "Team of the 00s", but the team with the strongest claim is the Yankees. Between 2000 and 2009 they tied with Boston for most World Series titles (2), won twice as many pennants as the runner-up teams (4; the Red Sox, Cardinals, and Phillies each won 2), appeared in the playoffs 9 times (the runner-up Cardinals made 7 playoff appearances), and finished with a winning record every year (only the Red Sox also went 10 for 10 with winning seasons). The Yanks also had the best cumulative record over the 2000-2009 period by 46.5 games over the #2 team (Boston). Though no team stood out head and shoulders above the pack, it's pretty clear the Yankees were the best team of the past decade.
Even as a Yankee fan I wouldn't classify them the team of the decade.In my opinion there isn't really a standout team.Honotable mention would have to go to the smaller markets though with teams like the Marlins, Diamondbacks,Rays, and Rockies all making world series appearances.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:37 PM

823 posts, read 2,217,233 times
the Yankees are clearly the Team of the 00's. No team has the same consistency.

9 playoff appearances, 8 division titles. 4 pennants, 2 titles

No team can touch that.

Boston missed the playoffs four times!

Old 11-07-2009, 02:52 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,157,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
the Yankees are clearly the Team of the 00's. No team has the same consistency.

9 playoff appearances, 8 division titles. 4 pennants, 2 titles

No team can touch that.

Boston missed the playoffs four times!
You do bring up a good point though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball