Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 07:18 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
you sound like a broken record: DELUSIONAL, DELUSIONAL, DELUSIONAL.

maybe you should get a parrot and train it to say that over and over and over, raahh DELUSIONAL, raaahh DELUSIONAL, raah DELUSIONAL

perhaps you have the onset of Alzheimers or something?
Now you are just being silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:18 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Also, although I do think the MLB could overturn the call with little or no long-term fallout, I really just wish they had a system in place where it could have been corrected last night. That would be 100000x better than any result that could have come from Selig today
They do have a system in place where it could have been corrected last night. If Joyce had had any question in his mind he could have asked the rest of the crew to consult on the play, and it's possible that one of them had a better angle and would have changed his mind.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
They do have a system in place where it could have been corrected last night. If Joyce had had any question in his mind he could have asked the rest of the crew to consult on the play, and it's possible that one of them had a better angle and would have changed his mind.
Inadequate in my mind. Take it to the ump that is in the clubhouse watching it on TV (yes they are already there, they have one on staff).

Grandstander, thank you for your well thought out post, it had interesting info in it, however I think the situation you provided is apples to oranges.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:34 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:

Grandstander, thank you for your well thought out post, it had interesting info in it, however I think the situation you provided is apples to oranges.
How is that? There is some difference between pitching a perfect game and setting a new homerun record which demands that they be treated differently? They are both individual player achievements. Which one is the apple and which one is the orange? They look like two chunks of fruit to me for our purposes.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:40 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
How is that? There is some difference between pitching a perfect game and setting a new homerun record which demands that they be treated differently? They are both individual player achievements. Which one is the apple and which one is the orange? They look like two chunks of fruit to me for our purposes.
Yes, big differences, breaking a homerun record is a long term record, and while pitching a perfect game is 27 outs, this particular instance, was one play, one out. Not a season long record. Fixing that call does not change the outcome of the game, the Tigers won just the same.

What do you really think would happen if Bud had changed that call today? The very fabric of baseball collapses? (ok now I am being dramatic), but seriously what do you think would happen that would be so terrible? I hope the word "pandora" is not in your response as I have addressed that at length earlier in the thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 PM

90 posts, read 188,449 times
The Umps looks genuinely upset that he made a bad call. And he apologized once he saw a replay. He is now getting death threats to him, his wife and kids over all of this. Galarraga does not seem to be to upset, then again GM gave him a brand new Corvette!!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Yes, big differences, breaking a homerun record is a long term record, and while pitching a perfect game is 27 outs, this particular instance, was one play, one out. Not a season long record. Fixing that call does not change the outcome of the game, the Tigers won just the same.

Your response is inadequate, you fail to present the nature of the difference which requires treating the events in a different manner. Your argument is akin to arguing that people 6'4" and taller should get different treatment in our courts of law because they are taller...but you fail to provide the reasons why this should be the case.

What is the supposed distinction between a seasonal record and a single game record which mandates a unique approach to one but not the other?

What is required here of you, if you wish your point to seem to have validity, is an explanation as to why it is okay to make exceptions in order to preserve this particular record, but not okay to do so for another particular record. Simply pointing out the obvious differences does not help your cause, you may as well write "One involved hitting the ball while the other involved throwing the ball."

We need the "why" of the matter.

Your last sentence above is an irrelevancy...in neither case, Maris nor Gallaraga, was the issue of a game outcome at stake.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
"Because that's not how it works?" Isn't that playground logic?

Actually, extreme circumstances often yield extreme, and unprecendented actions.

The whole its one "meaningless game" thing plays into my sides favor, we arent asking you to take a win away from a team, we are asking to overturn one meaningless (your words) games' FINAL out.

It's not a second guess when you have proof and its this black and white. Oh well, whats done is done, and this is just another notch in Seligs bedpost of fail. Hopefully good will come out of it and a Gallaraga Rule can be put in place that will avoid crap like this.
No, when I say "because that's how it works," I'm referring to the fact that there would be no precedent for Selig to go back and change a judgement error on the part of an umpire. It doesn't happen in any sport, let alone the sport with the most tradition.

And when I say that it's one meaningless game, it doesn't help your argument, because that means that Selig shouldn't dare consider breaking precedent to change the call.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user376 View Post
No one is contending that the Commissioner should reverse every incorrect call. We all know that most incorrect calls involve bells that can't be unrung. The error in Galarraga's perfect game, by contrast, is an easily remediable mistake. It's a once-in-a-generation sort of incident, which is why it's silly to suggest that correcting it would open up Pandora's box.
Honestly you can't sit there with a straight face and say that. Right now, this is a "once-in-a-generation incident," that is, until the next one comes along. When the commissioner starts overruling umpire judgement calls, the cat is out of the bag, and there will be incessant whining down the line when other situations arise. Count on it.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yer a Cleveland fan huh..I just realized that...THANKS FOR THE LAUGH!@
It took you that long to realize that? Thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball