Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 AM

252 posts, read 258,564 times

Advertisements

Barely anyone I know still watches.

- No defense
- Teams aren't serious about winning: Thunder & Grizzlies (trading away star players for financial benefit)
- Lack of competition. Heat (team with 3 HOF's) are about to 3peat

It's a 8 month long sport with 2 weeks worth of watching. Only thing that can save this NBA season is a long Heat-Spurs Final
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,742 times
Compared to 2004 and the Pistons and Spurs competing for who can average the fewest points per game lol I think we are doing pretty damn good.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 AM

252 posts, read 258,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Compared to 2004 and the Pistons and Spurs competing for who can average the fewest points per game lol I think we are doing pretty damn good.
That was one of the best NBA Finals of the past 25 years.

Seems like many NBA fans under the age of 25 want the league to resemble the And1 tour. No defense, no post play, each player taking turns dunking, everyone smiling and dancing. That's professional basketball? I want to see 10 players on the court clawing and fighting for an upper hand.

Shaq stated the truth on Open Court (NBA TV) last week. He said the NBA playoffs these days lack the intensity of when he played and is much weaker than the older generation. Too many of these guys are buddy buddy with each other and getting paid/staying healthy is more important than winning.

The NBA is the only sport that makes more news off the court/field than on it.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post

Seems like many NBA fans under the age of 25 want the league to resemble the And1 tour. No defense, no post play, each player taking turns dunking, everyone smiling and dancing. That's professional basketball? I want to see 10 players on the court clawing and fighting for an upper hand.

Shaq stated the truth on Open Court (NBA TV) last week. He said the NBA playoffs these days lack the intensity of when he played and is much weaker than the older generation. Too many of these guys are buddy buddy with each other and getting paid/staying healthy is more important than winning.

I agree with most of what you said here. Look at the Eastern Conference right now. There's nothing there. Yeah Miami won 66 games but they are unchallenged and at the moment the West isn't gonna throw anybody at them that could stop them at this point. Back in the day you had some tough teams back east. But I don't necessarily like those old New York Knicks style slugfests. I like toughness, but a fast athletic toughness like the Showtime Lakers.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:33 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Gawd, not another one of these "back in the day" threads. The NBA is more team-oriented than it was 10 years ago and you certainly do have defense when you have teams setting organizational records for low-scoring in a game. They're even calling traveling more regularly than since when I was a kid. There's also less thuggery permeating the game...look at how Ron Artest is dealt with now vs. a Laimbeer or Rodman back in the day.
Shaq needs to cut out that Joe Morgan "when I was playing" garbage, because he's easily the worst pundit already, only good for one of TNT's Photoshop jokes.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:44 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:

- No defense
When someone says this, it is clear they don't know what they are talking about and are not worth wasting your time responding.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,257 times
Quote:

Lack of competition. Heat (team with 3 HOF's) are about to 3peat
FYI, the Heat have not won back to back titles to be in line for a possible three-peat. That little booboo, along with the rest of your post, shows that at the very least you don't watch much.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 AM

933 posts, read 1,478,687 times
Quote:

- No defense
- Teams aren't serious about winning: Thunder & Grizzlies (trading away star players for financial benefit)
- Lack of competition. Heat (team with 3 HOF's) are about to 3peat

It's a 8 month long sport with 2 weeks worth of watching. Only thing that can save this NBA season is a long Heat-Spurs Final
Are you kidding me? Why don't you watch a game for once. No defense? How about amazing offense. It's amazing how some of these players can make amazing shots.

Teams aren't serious about winning? Now you just sound stupid. Obviously getting the number one seed and winning the first game of the playoffs by 29 POINTS means they aren't serious about winning. And Rudy Gay wasn't a good fit in Memphis and for the money he made, I don't blame them. And it's worked out pretty good too with a top 5 seed.

And lack of competition? So when the Patriots were 16-0 going into the playoffs was there a "lack of competition" there. And we saw how that worked out for the Patriots. With the way the Thunder played last night are you honestly going to say the Heat are just a shoo-in for the championship.

And barely anybody you know watches? I guess the people you know is the entire country. And if the people you know not watching the NBA means the NBA is on life support, then I'd like to be on life support because almost everyone I KNOW watches the NBA.

You sound ridiculous.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:17 AM

933 posts, read 1,478,687 times
Quote:

Please explain your reasoning for the last sentence. I'd really lose to hear how the NBA is the only sport that makes more news off the court than on it. Sorry buddy, but you are just bitter.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,096,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Please explain your reasoning for the last sentence. I'd really lose to hear how the NBA is the only sport that makes more news off the court than on it. Sorry buddy, but you are just bitter.
im sure he is a "the nba is full of thugs and criminals" guy.

if thats the case then i shall refer him to exhibit A, the nba doesnt have a web page/blog dedicated to nothing but the crimes the players commit.

NFL Crimes NewsBlog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball