Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:29 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,295 times

Advertisements

Absolutely.

1. Chris Paul is the best PG in the NBA and makes players around him better
2. Blake Griffin is an amazing big man
3. Doc Rivers is one of the best coaches in the world
4. I'm white

I'd make millions and might win a ring. I'd play for the Clips tomorrow.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:31 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Adam Silver has to do something. The majority of NBA players are African American and it would look very bad if the NBA did absolutely nothing. It would be like the CEO of the Bravo Network making homophobic remarks and then being surprised that there is a huge backlash from the gay community.
His hand is forced by money/social pressure. It still doesn't make punishment the right thing to do though.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 379,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
All true, but we're also talking about a league where the commissioner will fine a team for a coach's decision to sit players for a nationally-televised game. Stern and now his apprentice have a history of overreacting toward coaches and players, and it would not be a good look if the NBA protected an owner who is blatantly racist and endangering their global appeal.
Totally agree. It's easier to have an overly politically correct response to everything. Everyone is so hyper-sensitive these days. Never liked smarmy Stern for the reasons Natural510 has pointed out. All of his decisions are so political (read dishonest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I just don't see how someone can be punished for free speech/thoughts made in a private conversation. I would like to think what I say in private is my business and untouchable by an employer.

I don't think the NBA should get involved in legislating morality.
I can see your side here. If the NBA is going to tell players how to dress, I guess the owners can at least be held to a standard where they aren't inserting foot into mouth like Sterling has done. What an idiot. Does he think Magic Johnson's trying to score with his harlot?

So he has some issues tolerating people, big deal. There's plenty of celebs who have all but said they hate a particular demographic. I just hate the ultra-sensitive response to what this clown said to his sugar gal. If I were Chris Paul, DeAndre Jordan, or any player on the Clippers I'd be fine as long as my millions kept rolling in.

Off topic - Mark Cuban was awesome at the end of the Mavs game ha!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post

I can see your side here. If the NBA is going to tell players how to dress, I guess the owners can at least be held to a standard where they aren't inserting foot into mouth like Sterling has done. What an idiot. Does he think Magic Johnson's trying to score with his harlot?
The only thing I'd say here is that the way a player dresses reflects on the league when the player is sitting on the sideline in front of millions. Holding people accountable for what they say in private is equivalent to telling players how to dress at all times...what next NBA approved beach wear or bedroom apparel?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:23 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,981 times
Quote:
I just don't see how someone can be punished for free speech/thoughts made in a private conversation. I would like to think what I say in private is my business and untouchable by an employer.

I don't think the NBA should get involved in legislating morality.
You might like to think that but it is without a doubt not true.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
You might like to think that but it is without a doubt not true.
I don't think it - just pointing out how freedom is eroded. Heaven forbid the day when thoughts can be monitored.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:42 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,981 times
Quote:
I don't think it - just pointing out how freedom is eroded. Heaven forbid the day when thoughts can be monitored.
He made comments that became public that had a large negative impact on his business partners. He didn't make private comments, he made comments that became public. He might not have intended them to be but that's the way it happened.
He's done things that deserved discipline before in this same vain, so I'm not shedding any tears. He'll get a fine and he deserves it.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:43 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
Difficult to say how many NBA viewers are black. When you see shots of the arenas, it is overwhelming white.
I was talking about the players. There is no denying that the popularity of the NBA makes up a much higher percentage in the Black population than it does the White population. It sort of similar to how there are a lot more White people on welfare than Black people but welfare it makes up a higher percentage in the Black community.

Quote:
Ultimately only 13% of the US population is black. So not quite an accurate analogy to Bravo/gay community.
Your comment makes no sense to what I was talking about.

Quote:
We shall see how many fans attend the next Clippers game. If it's a full arena, then the NBA won't end up doing much because financially life goes on.
Though it probably won't happen, I would love to see the Clippers players take a stand and boycott the game.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
He made comments that became public that had a large negative impact on his business partners. He didn't make private comments, he made comments that became public. He might not have intended them to be but that's the way it happened.
He's done things that deserved discipline before in this same vain, so I'm not shedding any tears. He'll get a fine and he deserves it.
Have you ever said anything publicly or privately that could negatively impact your business partners (assuming you were in his position)?

And heck, if someone secretly follows you around and records everything you say - does that mean you've never had a private conversation in your lifetime?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Have you ever said anything publicly or privately that could negatively impact your business partners (assuming you were in his position)?

And heck, if someone secretly follows you around and records everything you say - does that mean you've never had a private conversation in your lifetime?
It doesn't matter because he still said it. Those were his words. You want to give him a pass because he didn't say it publicly. So what! It's still his fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball