Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 10:24 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
lol at all the posters who think Donald Sterling is the victim.
The funny thing is that there are zero victims in this. Sterling might be a racist, but he doesn't let it affect the way he runs his business.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:26 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
That is pretty laughable.

1. He didn't even acknowledge her as being mixed. She had to point that out to him several times.

2. Not using the N-word doesn't mean he isn't racist

3. He also makes even more millions off of these same blacks. They make a fraction of what he makes off of them.

4. He stated to acknowledge him privately, not publicly. That doesn't sound the same as admiring.

5. Yes because telling someone to sleep with blacks somehow means someone is not racist. You do remember hearing stories of slave masters having sex with their slaves right?

Even if we took your observations as accurate, which they are not in my opinion, his history of mistreating blacks and hispanics, including being sued by the federal government, should provide enough evidence of the type of person he really is.
1. You don't think he knew she was mixed? Don't be naive.

2. Never claimed that. Just pointing out that "racist" hate based rants often contain the word.

3. True, but he could also field a team with the majority of players being white.

4. Like I said, he wants his GF to maintain an image. He never said she shouldn't admire him - he just doesn't want her to be seen with him.

5. I never said that alone doesn't make him racist. Stop dramatizing. It does tell me that he has no problem with someone he cares for (who isn't white) hanging out with blacks -- he just doesn't want it done in front of those he maintains an image for.

I don't know about his past and frankly don't care. He may not even be the same person he was 10-30 years ago. All I can do is point out what I hear from the audio clip -- and that is a person trying to have their GF maintain an image that involves not palling around with blacks.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
He is openly
I can stop you right there. Sterling did nothing openly - he was having a private conversation.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
lol at all the posters who think Donald Sterling is the victim.
I would say freedom is the victim. I'm sure Sterling's lawyers are preparing to attack.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,612 times
Its some delusional posters on this forum. Smh

Old 04-27-2014, 12:03 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
1. You don't think he knew she was mixed? Don't be naive.

2. Never claimed that. Just pointing out that "racist" hate based rants often contain the word.

3. True, but he could also field a team with the majority of players being white.

4. Like I said, he wants his GF to maintain an image. He never said she shouldn't admire him - he just doesn't want her to be seen with him.

5. I never said that alone doesn't make him racist. Stop dramatizing. It does tell me that he has no problem with someone he cares for (who isn't white) hanging out with blacks -- he just doesn't want it done in front of those he maintains an image for.

I don't know about his past and frankly don't care. He may not even be the same person he was 10-30 years ago. All I can do is point out what I hear from the audio clip -- and that is a person trying to have their GF maintain an image that involves not palling around with blacks.
1. Why would she do that if he knew? This is what they said at the 2:38 mark:

Quote:
GF: Did you know I'm mixed?
Sterling: No. I do not know.
GF: You know that I'm mixed.
Sterling: You told me you were going to remove those. You said 'Yes I understand you.' I mean you change from day to day. Wow. So painful, wow.
He admitted he did not know she was mixed. He even insinuated before that she was either white or latina.

2. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? What does your point have to do with this situation? How using/not using the n-word relevant?

3. So you think he's doing them a favor?

4. He stated that he didn't want her around black people. He said it several times. It's not about image, it's about the fact that he doesn't like black people. He even stated it's a cultural thought process.

5. So why would telling her to sleep with blacks insinuate anything different? It sounds like you are saying he can't be that racist if he encouraged her to sleep with black men. I am trying to understand how telling her that she could sleep with black people validates anything you are trying to prove?

His past is very relevant because it brings context to a pattern of behavior. The first argument that is made for someone that is accused of being racist is who they associate with and their past behavior.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:13 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I can stop you right there. Sterling did nothing openly - he was having a private conversation.
He has discriminated against different races of people for years. This tape whether it was private or not just is a continued evidence of what he has already done.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:18 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post

It will be interesting to see the long-term fallout within the Clipper organization.
Agreed; things were looking pretty bleak for the Warriors up to this point...I wonder if this will affect the players mentally, or if the Clipper players will be able to completely block it out and keep it business as usual on the court.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:23 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I feel bad for the Clippers team members because they now have this situation hanging over their heads. Hopefully they can rally around each other and come together for themselves.

I really despise political correctness, but if the audio recording is proven valid perhaps the NBA can give Donald Sterling an ultimatum of sorts. The NBA could allow all Clippers players, coaches, and basketball operations staff to become pseudo-free agents, able to talk with any other team without any tampering charges and despite being officially under contract, within a couple months (say one month after the Clippers are eliminated from the playoffs). (IMO, it is unfair for the people employed in the Clippers' organization to not have an opportunity to change jobs if they are opposed to the ownership's beliefs and direction; in most other jobs in the U.S. people can leave freely at any time if they so choose and market themselves on the open market.) If players and/or other members of the organization decide to leave, they can do so without penalty and the NBA can create a one-time provision that allows these players to be signed by other teams without cap penalties. Additionally, the Clippers will have one season after this pseudo-free agency period to prove they can field a competitive team that meets the best interests of the NBA to have all of its teams field a competitive product, otherwise the league will take over control of the team and will buy the team at less than market value. If Sterling does not want to agree to these terms, he can avoid them by selling the team, or at least initiating the process to sell the team, during that one month period between the end of the Clippers' season and the beginning of their pseudo-free agency period.

I'm of the opinion people can have whatever beliefs they choose to have, but it is not fair if those beliefs negatively impact your employees and those employees have no ability to seek other employment if they so choose.
I'm not sure that would be an option simply because they had to know what kind of guy he was before they chose to work for him (other than draftees like Griffin, who had no choice). The treatment of the lawsuits from his tenants and his comments toward them, his history of sexism towards women, the Baron Davis situation, his comments about wanting to run his team like a plantation, etc. They probably chose to ignore Sterling in favor of the market and playoff opportunities in LA, but now he's become too public for the league to ignore as they always have.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
1. Why would she do that if he knew? This is what they said at the 2:38 mark:

He admitted he did not know she was mixed. He even insinuated before that she was either white or latina.
Latina is not white, correct? Next point...

And look at the girl - she's obviously not white. My guess is that for the sake of their relationship, she was supposed to come across as a "white girl".

Quote:
2. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? What does your point have to do with this situation? How using/not using the n-word relevant?
Depends on who you ask. I see it as a clue to the overall meaning of the conversation. The n word is synonymous with racist speaking in private - he didn't use the word. Take something from that or don't - I don't care. I won't force you to read into it as I do.

Quote:
3. So you think he's doing them a favor?
Did I say that?

Quote:
4. He stated that he didn't want her around black people. He said it several times. It's not about image, it's about the fact that he doesn't like black people. He even stated it's a cultural thought process.
He said people were asking him about it - this means he is worried about how she is perceived. He went on to say he didn't care if she hung around them in private. Again, it points to image. I did not hear him say he didn't like black people or hated them - maybe you can quote that line for me?

Quote:
5. So why would telling her to sleep with blacks insinuate anything different? It sounds like you are saying he can't be that racist if he encouraged her to sleep with black men. I am trying to understand how telling her that she could sleep with black people validates anything you are trying to prove?
It insinuates that he doesn't mind her being around black people in a private setting. Again, private = ok. Public = image.

I'm not sure if I can make it anymore clear.

Quote:
His past is very relevant because it brings context to a pattern of behavior. The first argument that is made for someone that is accused of being racist is who they associate with and their past behavior.
I don't care about his past. He may have changed since then. I would rather focus on this particular incident.

Past behavior is not proof of current behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball