Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 04:32 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Here was my earlier point.
I don't think he's saying not using the n word = no racism. That seems obvious.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:53 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,190 times
Magic Johnson is not welcome. If people don't comprehend the depth of the situation you will never understand the racism that minorities have to deal with. Magic Johnson is the NBA. If he isn't welcome per an owner what does that say to the average fan? Does this mindset extend into society with other company owners?

America and the world has heard it upfront and to the point.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:54 PM

This got me thinking - if we illegally tapped the phones of everyone involved in the NBA and punished them equally for racist/sexist/homophobic remarks - would there be enough people to have a league?

Watching ESPN's show on the 80s Pistons - I saw the part where Rodman said Larry Bird was only a star because of his skin color and not because of skill. The reporters then asked the team captain Isiah Thomas about the comment and he agreed - adding that if he were black "he'd be just another good guy".

Something tells me they could've went down the line and about every black Piston's player would've agreed.

And the most vocally outraged commentator on ESPN is Jalen Rose!! This is a guy who not long ago called Duke players "Uncle Toms". He also apologized for calling Rob Gronkowski "white boy wasted". Did he lose his job? Of course not! Imagine if a white ESPN commentator said "black boy buzzed" or something similar! He'd be fired within hours.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:27 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
These two are just trolling at this point...I'm going to put them on ignore.
I agree. Anybody who says he was only talking about a person and not black people, cannot be taken seriously nor can their opinion. He repeatedly stated he didn't want black people at the game. I don't know how much clearer it could be. The thing I wonder, if people didn't hear the whole audio, which clearly they couldn't have, then why are they defending him?

You can sit here and have a different opinion but when you say that he didn't say things, that he said multiple times, it makes me wonder what a poster purpose is in coming into this conversation.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:33 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
This got me thinking - if we illegally tapped the phones of everyone involved in the NBA and punished them equally for racist/sexist/homophobic remarks - would there be enough people to have a league?

Watching ESPN's show on the 80s Pistons - I saw the part where Rodman said Larry Bird was only a star because of his skin color and not because of skill. The reporters then asked the team captain Isiah Thomas about the comment and he agreed - adding that if he were black "he'd be just another good guy".

Something tells me they could've went down the line and about every black Piston's player would've agreed.

And the most vocally outraged commentator on ESPN is Jalen Rose!! This is a guy who not long ago called Duke players "Uncle Toms". He also apologized for calling Rob Gronkowski "white boy wasted". Did he lose his job? Of course not! Imagine if a white ESPN commentator said "black boy buzzed" or something similar! He'd be fired within hours.
Yea because those comments are comparable to what Sterling......Ok.....Gimme a break.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I agree. Anybody who says he was only talking about a person and not black people, cannot be taken seriously nor can their opinion. He repeatedly stated he didn't want black people at the game. I don't know how much clearer it could be. The thing I wonder, if people didn't hear the whole audio, which clearly they couldn't have, then why are they defending him?

You can sit here and have a different opinion but when you say that he didn't say things, that he said multiple times, it makes me wonder what a poster purpose is in coming into this conversation.
The title of the TMZ article is: "LA Clippers Owner to GF: Don't Bring Black People to My Games ... Including Magic Johnson"

Race baitors are trying to insert things that were not said.

- He told his GF that there was nothing wrong with her skin color and asked why she was inferring that he thought that. He said it really hurt him that she said that.

- She asked why he hated minorities. Sterling said: "I don't have any hate on nothing"

- She talks about hate and Sterling responds with "I love everybody"

- He said he knows Magic well and he SHOULD be admired.

Sterling NEVER said black people shouldn't come to his games. Will anyone deny the comments I'm referring to were said?

The more I hear the recording the more I think this is issue is crap. There is nothing racist said. People just want to talk about race and go on a witch hunt.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Yea because those comments are comparable to what Sterling......Ok.....Gimme a break.
What did he say - specifically. Please quote what you are hearing.

And Jalen Rose's comments are WORSE than what Sterling said.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:32 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The title of the TMZ article is: "LA Clippers Owner to GF: Don't Bring Black People to My Games ... Including Magic Johnson"

Race baitors are trying to insert things that were not said.

- He told his GF that there was nothing wrong with her skin color and asked why she was inferring that he thought that. He said it really hurt him that she said that.

- She asked why he hated minorities. Sterling said: "I don't have any hate on nothing"

- She talks about hate and Sterling responds with "I love everybody"

- He said he knows Magic well and he SHOULD be admired.

Sterling NEVER said black people shouldn't come to his games. Will anyone deny the comments I'm referring to were said?

The more I hear the recording the more I think this is issue is crap. There is nothing racist said. People just want to talk about race and go on a witch hunt.
The hurt will never heal until we acknowledge the wound. If a race issue isn't seen here then it's just a case of willful blindness. Nothing to see do to a lack of vision. To be one nation still is going to take a lot of work.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:38 PM

373 posts, read 778,343 times
Can't stand the Clippers.
Can't stand the Owner.
Can't stand two teams of the same professional sports league in the same city.
Cant stand Racism.

The NBA should do the league a favor and dissolve the Clippers.
Since the inception of the SanDiego Clippers and then since their move to LA, they have added nothing of value to the NBA.
Sports Illustrated named the LA Clippers as the worst sports franchise in all of professional sports, not just pro basketball, back in the year 2000. http://si.com/vault/article/magazine...8959/index.htm
14 years later, not much has changed.

There are too many teams and too many games.
Do the world a favor NBA, dissolve the Clippers.

Last edited by cheesecracker; 04-27-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
The hurt will never heal until we acknowledge the wound. If a race issue isn't seen here then it's just a case of willful blindness. Nothing to see do to a lack of vision. To be one nation still is going to take a lot of work.
This sounds like a load of feel good gobbly goo.

As I've said before, this issue boils down to the man not wanting his GF to post pictures on the net with black celebs. You can make as big an issue as you want out of that, but that's what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball