Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 08:22 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Good work trying to pull that fast one CP3. I see you on the left walking away with your jacket in hand.
hahahahaha

Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM

584 posts, read 871,972 times
We have this thing call Free Speech and sometimes it comes back and bite you in the A@$. This is a case of free speech gone wrong so now he is paying the price. I don't think it is legal or necessary to make him give up ownership of his team. The power is the hands of the fans who could stop buying clippers tickets and tuning into the station to watch them play. Sterling will lose sponsers and a lot of money then he will voluntarily give up ownership.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
In the words of Marion Barry...."***** set me up".....looks like Sterling's ***** set him up.

Now Magic Johnson is bidding to buy the Clippers.

In the words of The Church Lady......

How convenient.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:05 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,061,549 times
Ah the bittersweet irony. Magic will never give another dime to Sterling... except when he offers to buy his entire franchise. 'Muricah!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM

Kind of like going to the car dealership, scratching a new car in the lot, then telling the dealership you'll pay a couple of thousand less for the car due to the damage that you found on the car. Wouldn't it be a story if Magic colluded w/ the ***** who set up Sterling?

Report: Magic interested in buying Clippers - Orlando Sentinel

Old 04-28-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
"In California, to intentionally record someone else's private conversation without their consent is a crime & civilly wrong."

I thought so - as it should be. Without his money, she probably doesn't have a pot to **** in and a civil suit won't be worth his time.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
From page 2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I just don't see how someone can be punished for free speech/thoughts made in a private conversation. I would like to think what I say in private is my business and untouchable by an employer.

I don't think the NBA should get involved in legislating morality.
In a legal sense - I agree. He was taped without his knowledge, and the content sold to the highest bidder.

On the other hand - in the market place... he is subject to the reactions and feelings of his customers. They know how he feels. The customers (tickets, clothing, TV advertisers, etc.) have the choice of whether or not they want to buy what he is selling and put money in his pocket.

So what is the higher priority for the customers - race ethics, or entertainment?

The players are different since they are employees. If this was FedEx, or Hostess where people make $20/hr - they would be on strike yesterday. Which says race relations is more valuable than $20/hr. Now we are talking millions of dollars and championships and fame and fortune. How valuable is race relations now? Is it worth all of that to go on strike and not play? Apparently not to the players. What they want to do is get their money, fame, and fortune while at the same time punishing their boss. It's an interesting dynamic that will play itself out.

And what would REALLY be interesting - is if they won the NBA championship. How would that play out with the whole trophy presentation?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:48 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Kind of like going to the car dealership, scratching a new car in the lot, then telling the dealership you'll pay a couple of thousand less for the car due to the damage that you found on the car. Wouldn't it be a story if Magic colluded w/ the ***** who set up Sterling?

Report: Magic interested in buying Clippers - Orlando Sentinel
Wow - had not thought of that angle...

There is definitely a setup somewhere in this whole thing. It was probably pretty easy for the girlfriend to set up Sterling. She knew how he felt. They probably had the conversation before. So she posts the pictures knowing what his reaction would be, and knowing a conversation would follow. That's not a surprise to me - but the set up for Magic to step in and buy the Clips... that's pretty juicy.

Who then would be worse if this is valid - Sterling for his views, or Magic for using racism for profit?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,095,197 times
sterlings daughter posted this on twitter

Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,941,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Wow - had not thought of that angle...

There is definitely a setup somewhere in this whole thing. It was probably pretty easy for the girlfriend to set up Sterling. She knew how he felt. They probably had the conversation before. So she posts the pictures knowing what his reaction would be, and knowing a conversation would follow. That's not a surprise to me - but the set up for Magic to step in and buy the Clips... that's pretty juicy.

Who then would be worse if this is valid - Sterling for his views, or Magic for using racism for profit?
I agree. She is scum. She's been with him since 2010 and NOW she wants record him saying something? And to do it to a 80 yr old man who probably isn't as mentally sharp as he used to be? To me, this qualifies as elderly abuse....about the same as a caregiver hitting patients in a rest home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball