Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 01:40 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I don't see much of a difference. I think we are nitpicking each others comments at this point. Whether he said not associating, not bringing to game, or not putting pictures on Instagram, I MOST of us can agree that he has a problem with black people and that is the narrative.
I understand he has a problem with black people. But it is nothing new. BUT for some reason he has won the 2009 Lifetime Achievement Award for the NAACP, and was about to win a second time in 2015. How does that happen based on his questionable race views?

I guess being that this was a known issue that has been looked aside, the revelation of the audio, and the role of Magic in this whole thing (who is WAY to eager to jump in and buy at this point)... I just have questions beyond Sterling. Sterling's views are a known variable - especially with the insiders. But the other people in this, we don't know their motives at this point.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:49 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
by now everyone has read/heard the audio by the owner of the clippers. clearly his racist white buddies are angry and he has to answer to them for every instagram post his mistress shows the world with "black people in it."

if you were in the NBA, would you play for such an owner? i don't think it matters because he keeps business as business and i am sure other racist owners are also around in the NBA. this old foggie just got caught with his jim-crow-upbringing out in public on 21st century technology. even if you are white, it would make for an odd position as your black teammates may treat you bad as retribution for how they view the owner. as a black or hispanic guy, would you overlook his understanding of your race/culture or would you jump ship/sign elsewhere?
I agree that there are probably some other racist owners who are better at hiding their hate.

Perhaps if players were to jump ship, they'd notice covert forms of racism and be complacent about it, because that's what a lot of people in society do- remain complacent.

But, doesn't mean they should subject themselves to blatant prejudice. Money talks, and people will do anything for the name of money just so they can put food on the table. And, that includes selling out. Either that, or the owner will be forced out, but he'll still find a way to be a part of the NBA. Just like Paula Deen and her clan on the Food Network. If change were to happen, society as a whole has to change in order for any real change to truly happen. Otherwise, it's just a never-ending cycle of the same ignorance and oppression in another form.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Of Course Donald Trump and Alex Jones Have Joined the Defenders of Donald Sterling - The Wire

Old 04-28-2014, 02:26 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Bigger question why is he dating a woman that is young enough to be his grand-daughter?...he is a despicable human being on soooo many levels...
Why is she with him? Gold digger? She knows he's married and she is being sued by his wife for embezzling over a million dollars. Both are stereotypes, the old man with the young girl, and the young girl who enjoys being treated like a prostitute.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:36 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Why is she with him? Gold digger? She knows he's married and she is being sued by his wife for embezzling over a million dollars. Both are stereotypes, the old man with the young girl, and the young girl who enjoys being treated like a prostitute.
she's a leech

Old 04-28-2014, 04:41 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I understand he has a problem with black people. But it is nothing new. BUT for some reason he has won the 2009 Lifetime Achievement Award for the NAACP, and was about to win a second time in 2015. How does that happen based on his questionable race views?
$$$$ talks. He gave a lot of money to the organization after the housing discrimination lawsuit, and continues to do so. An article asking why he was receiving this lifetime award generated the response that he does a lot for black youth in LA by giving them free tickets to his games.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:23 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

I guess being that this was a known issue that has been looked aside, the revelation of the audio, and the role of Magic in this whole thing (who is WAY to eager to jump in and buy at this point)... I just have questions beyond Sterling. Sterling's views are a known variable - especially with the insiders. But the other people in this, we don't know their motives at this point.
NAACP has been one of the phoniest organizations out there, they will support anyone or anything that generate money for them.

I completely agree with you. I have less sympathy for the players for that reason but some players didn't choose to be there.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:33 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
$$$$ talks. He gave a lot of money to the organization after the housing discrimination lawsuit, and continues to do so. An article asking why he was receiving this lifetime award generated the response that he does a lot for black youth in LA by giving them free tickets to his games.
A little research...

NAACP returning all donations made by Donald Sterling

Leon Jenkins, president of the LA NAACP, said at a news conference Monday that donations made by Sterling will be returned. He wouldn't say how much money was involved but called it an "insignificant amount."

So the NAACP was on the take from Sterling.

---------------------------------

NAACP Took Grants From Clippers Owner Donald Sterling, Defended Him In The Press

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) accepted multiple grants over a period of several years from Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, and publicly defended Sterling even after some in the African-American community complained about his alleged racism.

Why Is the NAACP in Bed with Racist Donald Sterling?

The NAACP’s love affair with Sterling apparently knew no limits. The group had already given Sterling its Presidents Award in 2008, according to Sterling’s own website, which is primarily devoted to a long list of the many honors bestowed on him by various charitable groups to which he’s contributed.

Of course, many nonprofit groups rely on charitable donations from wealthy donors and corporations. Often their philanthropy is altruistic and heartfelt, but sometimes their gifts are self-serving, designed to help a company or a billionaire cleanse a soiled reputation or peddle influence with politicians. Many donors expect to see their names on buildings or to be rewarded with public celebrations of their philanthropy, including receiving awards.

So the NAACP was happy to take this man's money for years KNOWING what he believed.. until now... I guess he didn't pay them enough hush money for this one. Doc Rivers came to be employed by Sterling knowing the history.

He gives tickets to fill some empty seats - probably takes a tax deduction without shelling out any money.

They are guilty as well.

In the end, what this comes down to is the players and the fans want the NBA to do what they are not willing to do. It is easier to say Adam Silver - you ban him... instead of saying "I am not playing", or "I am not going to the game".

Old 04-28-2014, 05:38 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,365 times
n LA, Sterling just said no to rent to non-Koreans in Koreatown and just said hell-no to African Americans looking for property in plush Beverly Hills. Sterling, who has a Blagojevichian flair for the language, says he did not like to rent to "Hispanics" because, "Hispanics smoke, drink and just hang around the building." He also stated "Black tenants smell and attract vermin."

OK........you are a property owner anywhere in the USA. Honest answer: Would you not want to rent or sell to people who who have pride in their homes and neighborhood, or those who might turn it all into the newest ghetto in your city. You do not want to see your big investment turn to sh*t. Want to deny the fact that Koreans would make much better tenants? Go ahead............

Old 04-28-2014, 06:14 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
n LA, Sterling just said no to rent to non-Koreans in Koreatown and just said hell-no to African Americans looking for property in plush Beverly Hills. Sterling, who has a Blagojevichian flair for the language, says he did not like to rent to "Hispanics" because, "Hispanics smoke, drink and just hang around the building." He also stated "Black tenants smell and attract vermin."

OK........you are a property owner anywhere in the USA. Honest answer: Would you not want to rent or sell to people who who have pride in their homes and neighborhood, or those who might turn it all into the newest ghetto in your city. You do not want to see your big investment turn to sh*t. Want to deny the fact that Koreans would make much better tenants? Go ahead............
So every black neighborhood in America is a ghetto? I'm not a racist, but white people are freakin delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball