Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 10:03 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,077 times

Advertisements

LA Clippers Take A Stand Against Donald Sterling, Refuse to Show Team Logo + Wear Black Arm Bands - B. Scott | Celebrity Entertainment News, Fashion, Music and Advice

Old 04-28-2014, 12:47 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Can't stand the Clippers.
Can't stand the Owner.
Can't stand two teams of the same professional sports league in the same city.
Cant stand Racism.

The NBA should do the league a favor and dissolve the Clippers.
Since the inception of the SanDiego Clippers and then since their move to LA, they have added nothing of value to the NBA.
Sports Illustrated named the LA Clippers as the worst sports franchise in all of professional sports, not just pro basketball, back in the year 2000. When it comes to sustained ineptitude, no pro team in - 04.17.00 - SI Vault
14 years later, not much has changed.

There are too many teams and too many games.
Do the world a favor NBA, dissolve the Clippers.
That will never happen, but there is certainly a fanbase in Seattle who would welcome them with open arms if he sold to an interested owner. Still, the LA market is too large for the Lakers to have for themselves alone...even with a salary cap that will only heighten the league's disparity.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 AM

40 posts, read 39,468 times
How bout the Clippers all threatening to leave in postgame interviews right after they got smacked around by the Warriors. Let the excuses rain down.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 AM

491 posts, read 1,652,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Ultimately, as sad as it is, it will come down to the almighty $.

The black NBA players aren't going to jump ship to play in Europe or some sort of upstart league in America and make a fraction of what they once did.

$ is only one color and that's green.

Yeah, Sterling is racist but my suspicion is that he was one who got caught and there are many more like him out there. I'll even go out on a limb and say that there are blacks who don't like whites.

But when it comes down to making $, I bet the only color people see is green.
I couldn't agree with you more. As I noted in my first post that this is nothing new and no surprise. He's known in La as a racist and also well known in the NBA circle as a racist but everyone looked the other way.
The problem is that everyone enabled Sterling cause of money.The guy is a scumbag but everyone that knew him looked the other way but now act surprise that he said those things.

Just look at the lawsuit Elgin Baylor filed for employment discrimination back in 2009.
Clippers Were Like 'A Vision Of A Southern Plantation'
Baylor: Clippers Were Like 'A Vision Of A Southern Plantation'

Baron Davis is open about Sterling's issues long before this came out. These current and former players talk amongst each other, Doc Rivers included.
I mean, common, Doc Rivers is not stupid, he knows Sterling's past but he too look the other way knowing that he'd coach a good up and coming team and make bank. He was hesistant to take the job but he still took it knowing Sterling's past.
You think Chris Paul didn't talk to Baron Davis about the owner, lol, come on.
What has happened is that NBA players looked the other way cause of $$$$$ and enabled Sterling and gave him a pass. What the players see is that villa in Bel Air or beach house in Malibu or that brand new Ferrari. Who can blame them, they're making a good living and living their dreams.

Just look at the hypocrisy in the NAACP awards. Sterling was awarded a second NAACP award, knowing his past history. He was going to be awarded a Lifetime achievement award before this recording came out. Leaders of the NAACP ignored his acts of discrimination only seeing the cash he gives out to the organization. This time they had to do something and rescinded his award.

http://thesource.com/wp-content/uplo...4/04/naacp.jpg
Despite Sterling's history, he and Al Sharpton were invited to this event. Not even Al Sharpton objected to Sterling being awarded after Sterling's well known discriminatory past, otherwise Sterling would not be awarded a Lifetime achievement award with Sharpton's loud voice in the NAACP. If that recording wasn't made public, they would ignore his discriminatory past but now they have to do something.

Just look at these quotes from the LA times in 2009 when Leo Jenkins, president of the NAACPLA branch was asked about Elgin Baylor's lawsuit against Sterling.
"He has a unique history of giving to the children of L.A.," revealing that the owner donates anywhere from 2,000 to 3,000 tickets a game to youth groups for nearly every Clippers home game.
We can't speak to the allegations, but what we do know is that for the most part [Sterling] has been very, very kind to the minority youth community."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post

"In November of 2009, Sterling settled the suit with the U.S. department of justice for $2.73 million, the largest ever obtained by the government in a discrimination case involving apartment rentals. In LA, Sterling just said no to rent to non-Koreans in Koreatown and just said hell-no to African Americans looking for property in plush Beverly Hills. Sterling, who has a Blagojevichian flair for the language, says he did not like to rent to "Hispanics" because, "Hispanics smoke, drink and just hang around the building." He also stated "Black tenants smell and attract vermin."

Donald Sterling: Slumlord Billionaire | The Nation

Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Speaking about it to others is my way of doing something.
Voting as much of this government as possible out of office in November is mine.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
Sterling made comments in private: behind closed doors. Meaning not on twitter, not on youtube, not on facebook, not in front of a microphone.

His GF during an argument tape recorded him. Then sold the tape to TMZ for blackmail.

Private conversation with his girlfriend being taped and made public to the world. Something doesn't sound right from that end. I'm wondering if I've said anything privately that would be held to public scrutiny. If the guy doesn't want his girlfriend/wife/children to associate with a particular class/race/sexual orientation of people should be up to him. Its a private matter.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:55 AM

320 posts, read 539,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Magic Johnson is not welcome. If people don't comprehend the depth of the situation you will never understand the racism that minorities have to deal with. Magic Johnson is the NBA. If he isn't welcome per an owner what does that say to the average fan? Does this mindset extend into society with other company owners?

America and the world has heard it upfront and to the point.

Not only that, Magic Johnson considered him a friend at one point. Donald Sterling was one of the first people Magic met when he moved out to L.A. Would invite Magic over to his house and everything. You have to be a really screwed up individual on the inside to publicly befriend a person who in reality you despise because of how he looks. Pretty sad, but this is how the world works.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 AM

320 posts, read 539,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Private conversation with his girlfriend being taped and made public to the world. Something doesn't sound right from that end. I'm wondering if I've said anything privately that would be held to public scrutiny. If the guy doesn't want his girlfriend/wife/children to associate with a particular class/race/sexual orientation of people should be up to him. Its a private matter.
No doubt about it, the girl who taped their private conversation is scum. But what would you expect from a woman in her 20's dating an 83 yr old married man? If something doesn't sound right to you, it might be that.

Something tells me that they've had plenty of conversations of this nature in the past. I find it hard to believe that she had her recorder out at the exact time that Sterling was going to tell her something he'd later regret. I mean it would be one thing if he was making some sort of off color joke or comment that he wasn't expecting her to take seriously. Of course there are people out there who would still want his head on a platter for that, but ultimately I think reasonable minds would be able to figure it out. But in the recording that I heard, he seemed pretty adamant about what he was saying.

If you have to wonder about how often you've said something of that nature to someone in a private setting then that says a whole lot about you. Like I said, Sterling wasn't making an off color joke or trying to play to a crowd or anything like that...he was dead serious. Furthermore, if he truly doesn't want his girlfriend/wife/children to associate with a particular class/race/sexual orientation why not state it out in the open so everyone knows where he stands? Surely he has a good, logical reason (in his mind) for feeling this way. A reason that he would have no problem standing behind. Is it maybe because it's easier to hide your ignorance than to stand behind it?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:54 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,061,549 times
Good work trying to pull that fast one CP3. I see you on the left walking away with your jacket in hand.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
While this is an ugly story that many parents are going to have a tough time explaining to their young kids, I'm looking at the silver lining (pun intended I guess).

Because this is an opportunity for the league to step up (and I believe they will) and essentially "tar and feather" Sterling. The NBA will strongly and publicly condemn this racist mentality as unacceptable.

So we'll have one step backward and two steps forward.

Let's continue to enjoy an excellent playoffs, and let the turd get flushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball