Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 11:53 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,941,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
You are deflecting the conversation over and over, in an attempt to defend him and you have done this on multiple threads on this website, and I don't understand why you feel the need to continue to defend him. I can admit that perhaps in our sociey that there is an unevenness of how race relations is treated where someone white is generally treated far worse for what they do as opposed to what someone of another race does. However, that doesn't absolve him of his behavior. Even if there is a double standard, that doesn't mean he should get away with mistreating and disrespecting the league's clientele. That is what the conversation is. We can throw all of these scenarios out there and it still doesn't change what he said out of his mouth.
I like to speak out about hypocrisy and the loss of freedom.

Now I will ask you like I've asked 101 times already: can you quote the most offensive parts of what Sterling said?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:54 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulio82 View Post
Great question! Someone called on Mike and Mike this morning with the comment that players (white/black/hispanic) beat their girlfriends, commit assault, rape, do drugs, get caught with loaded firearms..but the outrage and media coverage is a lot less intense and eventually they are allowed back on the team.

Some old 80 yr old white guy who most of us didn't even know existed makes a statement in private and we are outraged??? i don't agree with his statement or his views, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
That's a fair point and I do believe the media loves stories like this that deal with race and blow them up, but in this case the situation is fairly unique. I mean those incidents that you mentioned are primarily domestic incidents that only impact the individuals involved. What this man did was basically refer to a whole demographic of people, which includes millions of people. That doesn't just affect him or just his girlfriend. It affects the customers, sponsors, players, front office personnel, players who will soon be free agents, coaches and almost anyone else in the league. He is putting an blight on one of the most profitable industries in our nation. When you start talking about money, it's going to get people's attention. While I definitely think we should not sweep those incidents of athletes behaving poorly under the rug, I also think you have to consider the comparison being made is apple and oranges.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I like to speak out about hypocrisy and the loss of freedom.

Now I will ask you like I've asked 101 times already: can you quote the most offensive parts of what Sterling said?
I dislike hypocrisy as well, but I also do not agree with ignorant mindsets that people have. I think it's completely hypocritical for this man to admit that he doesn't want to associate himself with black people but he makes millions, perhaps billions off black people.

Before I do that, which I have already responded to you in part, have you listened to the entire audio recording yes or no? If you have do you agree that he mentioned black people at points in the recording?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:56 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,077 times
What u do in the dark will eventually come to light eventually. Please Alexis remember that

Old 04-28-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
That's a fair point and I do believe the media loves stories like this that deal with race and blow them up, but in this case the situation is fairly unique. I mean those incidents that you mentioned are primarily domestic incidents that only impact the individuals involved. What this man did was basically refer to a whole demographic of people, which includes millions of people. That doesn't just affect him or just his girlfriend. It affects the customers, sponsors, players, front office personnel, players who will soon be free agents, coaches and almost anyone else in the league. He is putting an blight on one of the most profitable industries in our nation. When you start talking about money, it's going to get people's attention. While I definitely think we should not sweep those incidents of athletes behaving poorly under the rug, I also think you have to consider the comparison being made is apple and oranges.
How does Sterling not wanting his GF to post pictures with blacks doing all that?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
How does Sterling not wanting his GF to post pictures with blacks doing all that?
Look at my last post.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I agree and it's almost like a form of social/media bullying (another issue that we are supposedly against). If they don't like a person, they're held to a different standard and their life is made miserable when they mess up (i.e. bullying).

The NBA and media consider Kobe part of the in crowd so he gets a pass for calling someone a ****ot. On the other hand, Sterling is an old rich guy so he gets bullied if he says something prejudice. Make the rich white guy feel pain!!!
U mean the same pain blacks felt for hundreds and hundreds of years behind the rich angry white man?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:03 PM

339 posts, read 765,081 times
Quote:
I mean those incidents that you mentioned are primarily domestic incidents that only impact the individuals involved.
Agree with most of what you said, but i beg to differ on the above- fans and most importantly, kids are the ones impacted. These players are role models for a lot of kids and are emulated in each and every way possible. Watching them mistreating women and using abusive language makes these kids things it all right to do so.

honestly, to me, what kobe/lebron/wade say is going to have more of an impact than what Sterling says.

And maybe its just me- but beating or abusing even a single female is much much worse than sterling making a racist comment.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I dislike hypocrisy as well, but I also do not agree with ignorant mindsets that people have. I think it's completely hypocritical for this man to admit that he doesn't want to associate himself with black people but he makes millions, perhaps billions off black people.
Well maybe some folks hate fat people but have no problem selling work out videos to them. The point is - everyone is entitled to their private thoughts. And once again what was said in the recording has been altered -- he didn't say what you said.

Quote:
Before I do that, which I have already responded to you in part, have you listened to the entire audio recording yes or no? If you have do you agree that he mentioned black people at points in the recording?
He mentioned black people in reference to not wanting his GF to post pictures with them.

At one point he even said "you think I'm racist" in a shocked and disappointed tone of voice.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Don't bring blacks to the games including magic Johnson?? He said that too. Do u not see anything wrong with that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball