Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 05:07 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's always the tough part of analyzing teams headed into the playoffs.

You have teams coasting, resting players, injuries....just a lot of noise. Without going through game after game and seeing who was playing a full squad, which games were back to backs etc it's hard to get a real good bead on things.

I frankly think that Atlanta has been resting up.

Bulls went 23-18 playing most of those with 2-3 of their best players out but again, those guys aren't going to be 100% for the playoffs and the the discontinuity has wrecked their team synergy as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think Cleveland could make the Finals, I just still favor Atlanta a bit. However neither of those teams is IMO immune to the Bulls taking them out in a series upset so there's the wildcard.

I just don't see Atlanta or Cleveland etc. beating whomever wins the West.

Let's face it, finals losses is NOT the ultimate goal for any of the top teams in the east.

P.S. The nice thing is that we don't have to speculate much more...and my opinion is worth zero on the court lol. Looking forward to seeing some compelling eastern conf. series for the first time in years.
Wow, Cleveland sure looked good, beating the Bulls the other day. At times, it seemed like they could not miss a shot. I started to get upset our our defense, but the D was okay, Cleveland just had a hot hand. On that particular night, Cleveland could beat anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:32 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Wow, Cleveland sure looked good, beating the Bulls the other day. At times, it seemed like they could not miss a shot. I started to get upset our our defense, but the D was okay, Cleveland just had a hot hand. On that particular night, Cleveland could beat anybody.
Yep, the problem is that when you get to teams that are less banged up and with more time playing together than the Bulls....they have to bring thier A-offense every night to win because their defense is going to get shredded by potent, healthy squads. I am predicting the NBA finals to be a lopsided beating for the east like last year.

The Bulls right now are a good team, not great. Probably not a 2nd round team in the west as banged up as they are let alone a team capable of making the WCF.

Cleveland, other than Lebron has no playoff experience....frankly, my money is on Atlanta to win the east.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:52 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Cleveland, other than Lebron has no playoff experience....frankly, my money is on Atlanta to win the east.
Cleveland and Atlanta are basically in the same boat in regard to who has playoff moxie with ONE MAJJJORRRR caveat Lebron has just played in four straight NBA finals. That's not just some casual fact. Can any of the top East Contenders say that? Miami i guess if they make it and Wade is teleported back to 2006 form.

The Cavs have a GREAT mix of youthful ignorance to big moments and a core of vets that are battled tested and know about deep playoff runs.

Atlanta will beat Cleveland if they: 1) Make it to the ECF 2)play like they did mid season 3)Cleveland doesn't play well. 1 should happen 2. May happen 3. Not likely to happen (judging from the the stretch run here) Call me brash, arrogant whatever. Playoff experience won't factor into that series. I will apologize to any Hawks fans on here if it happens. We played ISO ball and Lebron had 10 turnovers and we almost beat them at their place. Almost doesn't count but you will see a different gameplan.

I'm not afraid of Atlanta. I'm concerned about the Bulls, If Noah wakes up or gets healthy whatever it is and Rose who I think could be healthy doesn't have some mental block with his injury and plays really well. Credit the Bulls D. They held the Cavs to 99.

What I took away from Sundays game. Lebron can and is going to abuse Butler on the block but the Cavs got issues if Rose is healthy and buzzing in the lane as the Bulls minus Rose picked their spots and did well there. Mozy/Thompson/Love can hang with the Bulls frontline.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 04-07-2015 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 06:56 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Cavs beat the bulls by 4 points, and JR Smith was 8 of 17 in threes. While Smith is a very good three point shooter, if the Cavs are dependent upon him hitting 8 of 17, they have problems.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:11 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Cavs beat the bulls by 4 points, and JR Smith was 8 of 17 in threes. While Smith is a very good three point shooter, if the Cavs are dependent upon him hitting 8 of 17, they have problems.
That's the problem teams have with Cleveland. Who do you roll to? Lebron?, Kyrie? Love? Everyone talks about Mozy and JR being steals...no actually they are benefiting from being forgotten on the court.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:05 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
That's the problem teams have with Cleveland. Who do you roll to? Lebron?, Kyrie? Love? Everyone talks about Mozy and JR being steals...no actually they are benefiting from being forgotten on the court.
Yeah, that's Clevelands strength.

They should be able to outscore most teams and cover for their defense as such.

One thing we can ALL agree on is that this years east is at least interesting.

If the Bulls were completely healthy it would be even more compelling but I will accept at least having them healthy enough that they could upset somebody.

Thank god it's not a repeat of last years miserable east where one good\healthy team slept walked to the finals. The finals was only good because it was such a shocking dismemberment of Miami in a rematch of a very competitive series the year before.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:09 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't even want a guy shooting 17 threes in a single game. Your point is lessened by the fact that if Smith only shoots, say 9 threes, and hits 4 of them, the Cavaliers may have 12 fewer points, but they also have 8 additional possessions to work with and I'll take that.

We could really play this kind of game all day:

Maybe Iman Shumpert doesn't shoot 0-for-6.
Maybe Kevin Love does better than his 4-for-12.

Cleveland only shot 42% to Chicago's 44% for the game so it's not as if they really shot the lights out. We could also ask if Dunleavy will shoot 8-for-12 and 4-for-6 from 3 in a playoff series.

The fact is: Cleveland won. For all the turmoil both teams have been through, Cleveland is 3-1 vs Chicago this season. Unfortunately or fortunately, I don't think Chicago is able to compete due to the injuries they've suffered this season. If they played a series today, I'd take Cleveland in 5 with a potential for 6.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I don't even want a guy shooting 17 threes in a single game. Your point is lessened by the fact that if Smith only shoots, say 9 threes, and hits 4 of them, the Cavaliers may have 12 fewer points, but they also have 8 additional possessions to work with and I'll take that.

Cleveland only shot 42% to Chicago's 44% for the game so it's not as if they really shot the lights out. We could also ask if Dunleavy will shoot 8-for-12 and 4-for-6 from 3 in a playoff series.

The fact is: Cleveland won. For all the turmoil both teams have been through, Cleveland is 3-1 vs Chicago this season. Unfortunately or fortunately, I don't think Chicago is able to compete due to the injuries they've suffered this season. If they played a series today, I'd take Cleveland in 5 with a potential for 6.
You make a good point but there are some caveats. The Bulls lost the first game in OT. For the 2nd loss Noah was out. For the recent 99-94 game we have already discussed. Of course a W is a W, and there is no entry for 'excuses' in the box score.

Chicago Bulls vs. Cleveland Cavaliers - Box Score - January 19, 2015 - ESPN
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls - Box Score - February 12, 2015 - ESPN
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls - Box Score - October 31, 2014 - ESPN
Chicago Bulls vs. Cleveland Cavaliers - Box Score - April 05, 2015 - ESPN

I'd say the Bulls have some chance to be competitive. I hope it is Bulls/Cavs in the second round; that will be a good series. I would admit that the Cavs have to be considered the favorites. They have both the better overall record and the 3-1 edge. LeBron is Lebron, and Irving is playing at a high level right now.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post

I agree, however I am extremely hopeful that a Bulls team with Derrick back and a healthy core of players will be able to rise to the occasion and beat the Cavs.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:17 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Derrick Rose continues to struggle with his shot (3-of-9, 0-of-1 from 3-point range) and the Bulls are losing at the half to a historically bad 76ers team that is playing without Nerlens Noel and any healthy point guards just a few nights after getting beat by Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball