Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:45 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The only way any big name goes to the Lakers is if they're seeking a big payday in a big market, and don't care much about winning a championship. Like Carmelo Anthony. Russell Westbrook might do it, since he's from LA and seems that type, but no one else is attracted to the Lakers right now.
But, but, but...THEY'RE THE LAKERS and a big market.

laker hater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 01:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The only way any big name goes to the Lakers is if they're seeking a big payday in a big market, and don't care much about winning a championship. Like Carmelo Anthony. Russell Westbrook might do it, since he's from LA and seems that type, but no one else is attracted to the Lakers right now.

Russell would have to see pieces coming together and the chance to rebuild and be the center point of the mighty Lakers. After all being a Laker great will be a better career closer than being a Thunder great!

Old 07-18-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Russell would have to see pieces coming together and the chance to rebuild and be the center point of the mighty Lakers. After all being a Laker great will be a better career closer than being a Thunder great!
Don't forget, Lebron might not sign with Cleveland and would of course want to come to LA.

Then they could trade Mozgov for Curry too.

I mean, if you're going to dream....dream big right?

Old 07-18-2016, 03:54 PM
C7C

101 posts, read 101,755 times
Saw this headline, published two hours ago... Report: LeBron James will re-sign with Cavaliers
at first, thought it read that he will "resign." Huge difference between resign vs. re-sign!

Old 07-19-2016, 09:40 AM

So, please tell me WHEN was the last time that the Lakers got a great UFA to join them?

How about just a really good one?

I started looking and wow....I went back to 2010 and gave up....was it Shaq?

Here's a link....good luck!
Los Angeles Lakers Transactions - RealGM

I'm just trying to point out that the Lakers built their franchise off in the last 20 years off of Shaq, Kobe and the Gasol trade.

There really is no precedent for them attracting big time UFA's on a consistent basis. Not even when they were contenders.
(and no, past prime Karl Malone and Gary Payton don't count)

Old 07-19-2016, 02:57 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
I don't think the Lakers really needed to sign great UFAs in the Shaq/Kobe era. M They had a few down years and went right back to the finals in 08/09/10. The same core won 57 games in 11 and the division in 12. In 2013 they tried the Dwight/Nash experiment. They've only been BAD for 3 years...and signing a great FA wouldn't have changed that considering Kobe's health issues.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I don't think the Lakers really needed to sign great UFAs in the Shaq/Kobe era. M They had a few down years and went right back to the finals in 08/09/10. The same core won 57 games in 11 and the division in 12. In 2013 they tried the Dwight/Nash experiment. They've only been BAD for 3 years...and signing a great FA wouldn't have changed that considering Kobe's health issues.
Make that 4.....and counting....

Wouldn't have changed things doesn't matter...the point being that they haven't added a quality UFA since what looks to be Shaq....but somehow that's what Laker fans are now claiming will save the franchise in the next few years. They claimed it the last 3-4 years as well citing that everyone wants to play with Kobe and then that morphed into...well...we didn't get UFA's because of Kobe.

Do you honestly think Westbrook is considering the Lakers who will be luckly to win 30 games next year when Durant just jumped to the Warriors?

Old 07-25-2016, 10:32 PM

Ok, lets hear from the Lakers management

The Los Angeles Lakers could be shut out from free-agent stars again - Los Angeles Lakers Blog- ESPN

Best quote...

Quote:
"But as long as the team is fun to watch, our fans and our partners can see a team that's growing and getting better as the season goes along, I think that's the barometer that's best for us."
This is a brutal article to read if you think they're going to rebound fast.

I've been called Laker hater long enough for being real....I now dub thee...Laker lickers. Enjoy!

Old 08-04-2016, 04:55 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
westbrook agreed to 3 year 85 mil to stay in OKC
so much for "he wants to be a laker"

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243034/Russell-Westbrook-Agrees-Upon-Three-Year-$85M-Extension-With-Thunder

Old 08-04-2016, 06:24 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
westbrook agreed to 3 year 85 mil to stay in OKC
so much for "he wants to be a laker"

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243034/Russell-Westbrook-Agrees-Upon-Three-Year-$85M-Extension-With-Thunder
With Durant leaving to play on a stacked team and not accepting the challenge of taking his original team to the championship (OKC, being pretty close), it makes me root for Westbrook and OKC this year.

To me Durant's move is sporting cowardice, way worse than Lebron and Bosh joining Wade in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball