Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:31 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I strongly doubt this. Those Cleveland teams were no where near as complete as Boston and their big three at the time. It was an amazing feat just for a young Lebron to take the Cavs to the Finals back in '07. Remember, for a fair comparison, this would have to be 80's Jordan, not 90's veteran Jordan.
I'm giving Jordan a Finals appearance in 2009 and a slim chance at a championship. That was possibly the best Cavs team before 2015. I never gave the parameters of the Jordan hypothetical. Could Lebron of any year carry the 04-10 Cavs to a conference title against the Pistons/Celtics? Yes/no? Then Jordan of any year applies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 08:50 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times
LeBron deserved the FMVP though it probably should've been somewhat of a closer vote...he was unanimously voted as FMVP from what I read...Kyrie didn't even get a vote

that block with game tied at 89-89 under 2minutes will be remembered for ages...he is climbing up the Goat ladder

Last edited by JL; 06-20-2016 at 09:05 AM..

Old 06-20-2016, 01:35 PM

287 posts, read 237,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
Really?Last I checked cleveland wasnt the team with a 73-9 record,so i think we all know who the best team was this year
...And this is where W fans show their immaturity. I don't mean childish, I mean inexperience with being an elite team. Being one of the teams at the top, means you know the value of the regular season. It's important to get a seat at the table in the playoffs, it's even important to get a good seeding so you're not on the road every series, but the regular season is NOT meant to extract a lot of value from it.

Just ask Mavs fans how important the regular season is. In the early and mid oughts they always had one of the top records in the regular season only to lose in the playoffs over and over again until they broke through. This is how I think of the Dubs. Nice team, nice lineup but they aren't built for the playoffs. They won last year not having that tough a road and getting the Cavs when they were down 2 of their starters and then this year they lose with their top players not being close to their regular season brilliance. The playoffs are just a different beast. And I will never think of the Dubs as an elite team unless they can MAINTAIN excellence when it counts.

P.S. in a 7 game series, the best team does win. I think at least this year we all (outside of Oakland) do indeed know who the best team was.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:49 PM

596 posts, read 428,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
LeBron deserved the FMVP though it probably should've been somewhat of a closer vote...he was unanimously voted as FMVP from what I read...Kyrie didn't even get a vote

that block with game tied at 89-89 under 2minutes will be remembered for ages...he is climbing up the Goat ladder

He's the first player ever EVER to lead BOTH teams in Points, Rebounds, Assists, Blocks, and Steals over a Finals series.

Only one, ever. Yeah, it's unanimous.

And I'm not diminishing Kyrie's complete destruction of Curry over the course of the Finals either. Kyrie was the second best player in the series.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:11 PM

33 posts, read 34,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
Really?Last I checked cleveland wasnt the team with a 73-9 record,so i think we all know who the best team was this year
The best team is the team that wins 4 games in the finals.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:50 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
the Lakers played in the sorry western conference in the 80's, a reason they made it to the finals 8 times out of 10 in that decade. The East in the 80's was more physical with Boston, Sixers, Pistons, Knicks and Bulls.

I never heard anybody complain about the Magic's Lakers in the 80's. but want to complain about Lebron playing in the Eastern conference.....please!
We call that selective haterism. Webster is on the verge of adding it to the dictionary for Lebron James haters.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:52 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I've always heard it pronounced "Steph-ON." By the way it's spelled, you'd think it would be pronounced "Steven." I mean when's the last time someone said the actor who's the brother of Alec Baldwin was "Stephon" Baldwin? If you want it to be pronounced "Stephon," then SPELL IT that way as Stephon Marbury did. To do otherwise, to me, is pretentious. It smacks of parents who name their children "North West" or "Apple" just to be "special." Bluh, I hate it.
When you start talking about things that have nothing to do with on the field performance or mannerism with regard to the game, your point becomes an empty rant. Who gives a rats about his name? The kid is a deadly shooter and deserves his respect. LeBron is a better all around player and should also be given his dues.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:05 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
He's the first player ever EVER to lead BOTH teams in Points, Rebounds, Assists, Blocks, and Steals over a Finals series.

Only one, ever. Yeah, it's unanimous.

And I'm not diminishing Kyrie's complete destruction of Curry over the course of the Finals either. Kyrie was the second best player in the series.
+1 Anyone voting other than Lebron needs medical treatment.

KI contributed but Lebron did EVERYTHING.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:13 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,141,781 times
Injuries, officiating, cold shooting, etc are all factors beyond just who the better team is even in a 7 game series. Injuries especially as some players will play through them where others would sit out. Kyrie was the man in this series and he was a difference maker between this year and last year. Even last year though the Warriors underperformed in the finals just like they did in this one. Last year obviously first time jitters, but this year there was huge issues with Steph being hurt, Barnes forgetting that the ball is supposed to go in the hoop, and Draymond with suspension.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:21 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,002 times
why would the refs get rings, the better team won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball