Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 05:06 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times

Advertisements

Curry with a +44 last night (+/-). Just a year out, he seems to be left out of all MVP conversations now that he plays with Durant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 10:32 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Curry with a +44 last night (+/-). Just a year out, he seems to be left out of all MVP conversations now that he plays with Durant.
I expect voters to ignore him because . . . factors. Absent another '15-'16 season, I think voters will overlook Curry for foolish reasons. But you are right--when it comes to actually impacting the outcome of basketball games and a basketball season, Curry belongs in the MVP discussion.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:14 PM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Spoken like a true Cleveland Sports Fan with the Lakers I will say "there is always next year" and I'm going to admit now it probably won't happen this year.

With Lebron and the award- I agree its numbers focused but I think Westbrook and Harden have their numbers water down a bit with the additions to their respective teams
I'd give 2:1 all day everyday....heck 3:1, maybe more....that Lebron doesn't win MVP this year.

Not dogging on the guy, he's one of the very very top all-time players but MVP is a fickle regular season award that they like to pass around.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Offer them here: the mild & the wild.

MVP: KD
DPOY: Gobert
COTY: Thibodeau
MIP: Porzingis
6th Man: Eric Gordon
ROTY: Ben Simmons

Finals: Warriors over Cavs
ECF: Cavs over Bucks
WCF: Warriors over Rockets

Who gets fired?
Billy Donovan
Doc Rivers
Dwane Casey
Dave Joerger
Quin Snyder

Biggest surprise: Giannis looks like the best player in the ECF
2nd biggest surprise: Spurs end their streak of 50+ win seasons
Biggest surprise for the media: OKC is not that good
Biggest disappointment: Pelicans don't trade Cousins
New record: a team makes 30 3s in a game
Best teams no one cares about: Grizzlies & Nuggets
Seems like a good time to revisit. Congrats to James Harden for murdering my MVP prediction. Condolences to Gobert & Porzingis for injuries that take them out of the running. Thanks to Ben Simmons for delivering. I'm still holding out hope for Eric Gordon, but I think Lou Williams has it. I assume coach of the year is going to Casey or D'Antoni. Speaking of Casey, congrats on making me wrong in expecting your firing. I think that Doc, Joerger, and Donovan are all still potentially in the hot seat. I think Snyder is safe.

I'm not feeling great right now about predicting the Bucks to make the ECF. I'm wavering on my Warriors over Rockets pick, but I do think those teams will see each other in the WCF.

I feel pretty good with my other predictions: Spurs end 50+ win streak (check), OKC is not that good (check), Pels don't trade Cousins (check and sorry to Demarcus for his injury). The Grizz and Nuggets were both hampered by injuries. I still think they had good basketball rosters, but losing Conley killed the Grizz and Millsap's extended absence did a number on the Nuggets; of course, nobody really cared about either of those teams, as expected.

How did you fare?

Old 04-05-2018, 03:03 PM

525 posts, read 279,460 times
Quote:
Seems like a good time to revisit. Congrats to James Harden for murdering my MVP prediction. Condolences to Gobert & Porzingis for injuries that take them out of the running. Thanks to Ben Simmons for delivering. I'm still holding out hope for Eric Gordon, but I think Lou Williams has it. I assume coach of the year is going to Casey or D'Antoni. Speaking of Casey, congrats on making me wrong in expecting your firing. I think that Doc, Joerger, and Donovan are all still potentially in the hot seat. I think Snyder is safe.

I'm not feeling great right now about predicting the Bucks to make the ECF. I'm wavering on my Warriors over Rockets pick, but I do think those teams will see each other in the WCF.

I feel pretty good with my other predictions: Spurs end 50+ win streak (check), OKC is not that good (check), Pels don't trade Cousins (check and sorry to Demarcus for his injury). The Grizz and Nuggets were both hampered by injuries. I still think they had good basketball rosters, but losing Conley killed the Grizz and Millsap's extended absence did a number on the Nuggets; of course, nobody really cared about either of those teams, as expected.

How did you fare?
I had to make some changes as well. Initially I thought Giannis would win MVP. Turns out the number of wins Milwaukee has compared to Houston is playing a huge factor, as well as Harden's stellar play this year. There's been so many injuries this year. I think this year has been cursed because of that. What's unfortunate is that injuries are something that we can't control. Ben Simmons will win Rookie of the Year no doubt. He was my pick to win it at the beginning of the season. We'll see who wins Sixth Man of the Year. It's possible that Lou Williams has too many starts to be considered, but we'll see. I'd like to see Dwane Casey win Coach of the Year. He's led the Raptors to a franchise best season.

I think it'll be Raptors and Cavs in the East finals. The question is can the Raptors dethrone the Cavs? It's hard to tell at this point, but keep in mind that playoff LeBron is a lot different than regular season LeBron. Warriors will still win the West, so long as they can get everyone healthy by the time the second round comes around, and are at full strength come the Western Conference Finals. Should the Warriors fail to be at full strength come the West Finals, Houston will win the NBA championship.

OKC is alright, but not as good as they should've been with how much talent they have on their roster. There were a lot of teams this year that were hampered by injuries at some point in the season. Heck, the Warriors are dealing with injuries right now, and the Rockets had to briefly deal with injuries earlier in the season as well.

That being said, what are your predictions for the playoffs?

Old 04-06-2018, 08:34 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
Quote:
I'll play...

MVP: Lebron
DPOY: Gobert
COTY: Malone
MIP: Jaylen Brown
6th Man: Eric Gordon
ROTY: Ben Simmons

Finals: Cavs over Rockets
ECF: Cavs over Wizards
WCF: Rockets over Warriors

Biggest surprise: (Tie) TWolves barely make the playoffs, OKC stumbles (5 seed), 76ers make the playoffs
2nd biggest surprise: Detroit plays well and makes the playoffs (6 seed)
Biggest surprise for the media: Warriors don't repeat
Biggest disappointment: OKC, Boston
Lebron is my MVP. He's having one of his best seasons.

Malone for COY was off.

Brown, Gordon Simmons- good picks

Cavs over Wiz could happen if Cleveland gets the 4 (which could happen).
Rockets over Warriors looks a little better now than it did in Nov.

I was spot on with my Biggest Surprises (all three).
Off on Detroit (it started nicely though)

OKC and Boston could be the biggest disappointments in a couple weeks.

Not bad.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:56 AM

You guys still don't see Brad Stevens as Coach of the Year? He's done the most with the least all year long.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:32 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You guys still don't see Brad Stevens as Coach of the Year? He's done the most with the least all year long.
Probably the same reason why Lebron will not win the MVP.

He probably gets the Lebron treatment. You expect it at this point- he did the same last year.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:

How did you fare?
I guess I was right about Casey after all . . .

Old 05-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Probably the same reason why Lebron will not win the MVP.

He probably gets the Lebron treatment. You expect it at this point- he did the same last year.
Right you were. He didn’t get a single vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball