Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 03:16 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,452,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street grid View Post
I mean the Warriors are the best team in terms of player development but Curry is a generational player. I just feel like if those original 3 guys hang up their boots in a few years then that could be it for titles for them. Can't forget the other guys are just really good role players that's perfect for Curry, klay and Dray and without that core 3, I don't know if they would even make a deep playoff run. And with the 3 core guys atleast we know they are chip capable as they did in 2015. Durant still seem like the most reliable peice that was proven with their back to back runs.

As for the Nets, they could be screwed now and on their way back to the bottom.
Well it's hard to predict the future. You never know, one of the young guns might step up to become the franchise player when the OG's hang it up. I distinctly remember Kawhi when he first joined the Spurs. He wasnt an immediate super star either, but when Duncan, Manu and Parker started to fade away, he stepped up. Not saying that any of GSW's young guys are on that level, but it's not impossible. Wiggins has been a 20ppg scorer in the league and Poole would be one if he was given starter minutes and touches. With Wiseman and Kuminga, I suspect GSW would have to change their team offense and structure when it's those guys time since they are obviously different to Klay Steph and Draymond. This is where I think Kerr will have to really earn his money as a coach when he doesnt have the obvious super star team in place like when he first was hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 04:33 PM

14,699 posts, read 14,677,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The Nets. Could be the worst performing super team ever. Especially when some called them the best super team ever assembled. As far as dysfunction goes I don't recall worse with no titles or even finals appearances. 6 months after they had KD, Kyrie and Harden on the same roster they might all be gone. Who would have guessed that?

The warriors are trying to position themselves for the future. Part of letting go some important roll players from the championship team is to get the next group ready. Poole, Kuminga, Wiggins, Moody and Wiseman are the next group coming up And Looney just signed an extension. Management might be wrong about them but their track record and picking the right players and developing them is pretty much 2nd to none in the NBA. And if they do it right they can add free agent talent to that mix.
Agreed...the Warriors owner was quoted recently as saying he wanted to the organization to catch the Celtics in all-time number of championships, which is not something you do by trading young talent for a win-now piece. Look at how well that worked out for the current Nets & Lakers.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Agreed...the Warriors owner was quoted recently as saying he wanted to the organization to catch the Celtics in all-time number of championships, which is not something you do by trading young talent for a win-now piece. Look at how well that worked out for the current Nets & Lakers.
The warriors currently have 7 championships. Boston 18 I think. It's going to be take either a massive collapse by Boston over the next several years or an incredible run by the Warriors for them to catch up. I think the owner is being a tad too optimistic, but hey I'm sure the fan base eats that up.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:52 PM

30,198 posts, read 11,850,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The Lakers got a title in 2020. And LA also has 17 championships. I will take one title and 2 flops the past 3 years compared to 3 playoff teams who did not win it all over in Boston. No one remembers who came in 2nd or 3rd.

Old 07-05-2022, 01:05 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,506,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Two stars and draft picks are too much. Unless Irving is part of that trade. Or you throw everything in. Trade Booker, CP3 and Bridges for KD, Irving and Simmons. Not sure if the $ work or not, probably not. Both teams might come out ahead. The Nets have talent they can build around and the Suns become the favorite to win it all, or miss the playoffs entirely depending what mood Simmons and Kyrie are in.

As I have said many times I don't think the Suns were that good two years ago. Or really even last season. They had an easy playoff run two years back all against teams with a major star out. We see what happened this year against a healthy Mavs team. Even if they won that series the Warriors would have crushed them. Yes they were 2 games from a title but the factors that got them to that point are not going to repeat again. Especially against a likely much more healthy and stacked west.

But gutting the team for KD would be a dumb move. Brooklyn has to make this trade, the Suns do not. I think when it comes down to it, it might end up like Simmons last year. No team will give the Nets what they want so KD will sit half the year or the Nets will end up taking less.
The Suns were "that good". You can go on and on about two years ago...doesn't change anything. Getting to the finals is about talent and opportunity, and whether or not the Warriors would have 'crushed them' is a hypothetical. That Mavs series was an abomination and it's not because they were fully healthy. The Suns partially did themselves in and Chris Paul got old at the worst possible moment.

Speaking of Suns, I wonder what's going on with Ayton. They are complicating him from leaving.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The Suns were "that good". You can go on and on about two years ago...doesn't change anything. Getting to the finals is about talent and opportunity, and whether or not the Warriors would have 'crushed them' is a hypothetical. That Mavs series was an abomination and it's not because they were fully healthy. The Suns partially did themselves in and Chris Paul got old at the worst possible moment.
If you look at history:

https://champsorchumps.us/records/be...season-records

Suns were tied for the 23rd best record ever in NBA history. And if you look at the results. Only the 2007 Mavs who lost in the 1st round had a worse playoff run.

Everyone is banged up by the playoffs. Luka was banged up. What team was fully healthy by that point in the playoffs? That is just an excuse. Looking at how the Mavs beat the Suns and then looking at how GS handled Dallas. I can't imagine how the Suns would have had a chance.

That good to me means winning a title. This year GS was that good. Last year the bucks, year before the Lakers. Those who did not win a title were not "that good". The Suns had a good team the past two years. But its all about the rings. And I will stand by what I have been saying. Last post season injuries on other teams helped the Suns. And this year. Injuries with western conference teams during the regular season also helped the Suns. That is why I questioned how far they would go this year. 2nd team they have faced in the post season the past two years where one of their stars was not out was Dallas, before that Milwaukee. They lost both of those series. Not sure they would have beaten N.O. if Zion was healthy and playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Speaking of Suns, I wonder what's going on with Ayton. They are complicating him from leaving.
That is the other thing that separates the Suns from say Golden State. They have a cheap owner. The Warriors are fine going way over the luxury tax. You either have to pay people or give up on chasing a title. Just be fine making the playoffs each year.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 07-05-2022 at 08:25 PM..

Old 07-05-2022, 09:33 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,664,154 times
The Suns have no excuse for getting blown out at home by the Mavs. That is the kind of loss that destroys teams. I would not be surprised at all if this is it for this iteration of the Suns.

GS is now third All-Time in championships. They do have a loooong way to go to catch the Lakers and the Celtics, but who saw them being in third just a decade ago? You might as well aim for #1s now.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
The Suns have no excuse for getting blown out at home by the Mavs. That is the kind of loss that destroys teams. I would not be surprised at all if this is it for this iteration of the Suns.
Good teams only have so many chances to win it all. I remember PG13 saying after Denver beat them that he did not care because they will have more chances. Injuries, aging and other teams getting better all can make that impossible. The Ayton situation is a problem for the Suns. If he is not the right guy then trade him. If he is the guy but they just want to get him on the cheap. That is not a good look for that franchise. And it tells other players how its going to go for them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
GS is now third All-Time in championships. They do have a loooong way to go to catch the Lakers and the Celtics, but who saw them being in third just a decade ago? You might as well aim for #1s now.
What helps the Warriors is being an older franchise as it does Boston. The Spurs have 5 titles and the Warriors have 4 since the Spurs have been in the NBA. Chicago 6 during that time. Boston has had 5 titles and the Lakers 11 since 1976. Those teams are the elite teams of the modern NBA.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 07-06-2022 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-26-2022, 03:18 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,634,776 times
Just gotta comment on what's going on with the Celtics. I have been a pseudo-fan since they acquired Kemba Walker (because I really only used to watch UConn) but then it started getting exciting with Tatum and Brown, mostly after Walker was traded. The compelling story of the Celtics is that you have a bunch of young guys who all grew together and formed a complete, cooperative unit. They started playing for each other, making each other better, to get team wins. The team had heart.

If they dish Jaylen Brown and Derrick White to buy a superstar, they are going to lose the main appeal they have for many of their newer fans. I know Durant sure looks tempting to the front office, but I thought Brad Stevens would have more sense than to mess with a good group of guys who made it happen for the C's last year and gained a lot of fans, too. If Durant comes, I just feel like we lose that. Maybe win about the same number of games, maybe have a marginally better chance at the title. Maybe lose fans in the process.

Old 07-26-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Just gotta comment on what's going on with the Celtics. I have been a pseudo-fan since they acquired Kemba Walker (because I really only used to watch UConn) but then it started getting exciting with Tatum and Brown, mostly after Walker was traded. The compelling story of the Celtics is that you have a bunch of young guys who all grew together and formed a complete, cooperative unit. They started playing for each other, making each other better, to get team wins. The team had heart.

If they dish Jaylen Brown and Derrick White to buy a superstar, they are going to lose the main appeal they have for many of their newer fans. I know Durant sure looks tempting to the front office, but I thought Brad Stevens would have more sense than to mess with a good group of guys who made it happen for the C's last year and gained a lot of fans, too. If Durant comes, I just feel like we lose that. Maybe win about the same number of games, maybe have a marginally better chance at the title. Maybe lose fans in the process.
In a crazy way, if you are going to trade anyone for KD, to me it has to be Tatum. Brown is used to being the number 2 guy. He did it for Tatum he will definitely do it for KD. I wonder if Tatum who has been anointed a superstar (too early IMO), is he now going to be happy playing as the number 2 guy behind KD? I say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball