Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:23 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,154,890 times

Advertisements

Im done with Syracuse. This year this team had so much potential playing a team element, and they can't even make it to the elite eight. Last year with all that talent, once again knocked out in the sweet sixteen. Syracuse is an overrated program and I am tired of it. I am so tired of Syacuse and their innability to win the big one. At one point this year, this teams zone defense looked better than I have ever seen in all of college basketball ever. Then once it started getting praise, what happened? As usual like most Syracuse teams, they completely went downhill. Lost to Louisville of all teams twice. Wheres the heart in that? One and done in the Big east tournament. And now this. Butler is a decent team, but by no means should have won. I think they give Jim Boheim way too much credit. For the talent he has had in over thirty years, he has won the big dance just once. Pathetic. Get a new coach. Obviously he is failing to tap into whatever it is that you need to tap into to get the best out of your players. He often has great talent, like last year, yet fails to get them to play team concept basketball. This year they finally play team basketball (which I believe is because of the players themselves) and they still lose. This team just continues to break my heart. I am at a point where I think it is time to find a new team or give up watching college basketball altogether.

Does anyone else think that the heartache involved with constant losing when it comes to your team makes the decision to just stop watching it worth it? I know that I am ranting, but I am just frustrated with becoming depressed with losing teams..Enough already. Maybe I am too pashionate to be a fan. After all it is just a sport and it isn't worth ruining your day or weekend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 PM

39 posts, read 49,488 times
Boheim is a good coach, but he should forever send 'Melo a large portion of his paycheck.

That said, the media (yet again) fell into the Big East Hype.

I've never stopped watching my team, though it was very difficult the last few seasons, but stick it out if they really are your team.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Im done with Syracuse. This year this team had so much potential playing a team element, and they can't even make it to the elite eight. Last year with all that talent, once again knocked out in the sweet sixteen. Syracuse is an overrated program and I am tired of it. I am so tired of Syacuse and their innability to win the big one. At one point this year, this teams zone defense looked better than I have ever seen in all of college basketball ever. Then once it started getting praise, what happened? As usual like most Syracuse teams, they completely went downhill. Lost to Louisville of all teams twice. Wheres the heart in that? One and done in the Big east tournament. And now this. Butler is a decent team, but by no means should have won. I think they give Jim Boheim way too much credit. For the talent he has had in over thirty years, he has won the big dance just once. Pathetic. Get a new coach. Obviously he is failing to tap into whatever it is that you need to tap into to get the best out of your players. He often has great talent, like last year, yet fails to get them to play team concept basketball. This year they finally play team basketball (which I believe is because of the players themselves) and they still lose. This team just continues to break my heart. I am at a point where I think it is time to find a new team or give up watching college basketball altogether.

Does anyone else think that the heartache involved with constant losing when it comes to your team makes the decision to just stop watching it worth it? I know that I am ranting, but I am just frustrated with becoming depressed with losing teams..Enough already. Maybe I am too pashionate to be a fan. After all it is just a sport and it isn't worth ruining your day or weekend...
You could come to Indianapolis and celebrate with all the other Butler fans!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You could come to Indianapolis and celebrate with all the other Butler fans!
Or better yet, learn to love Kentucky and celebrate #8 this year along with the greatest program of all time.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:06 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,154,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ff3w View Post
Or better yet, learn to love Kentucky and celebrate #8 this year along with the greatest program of all time.

I like the color ot their unfiroms. It's time for a change go wildcats. Actually and I am not jumping on a bandwagon, but I thought all year long that Kentucky was the best team, besides at one time when Syracuse was looking so dominate on defense with their two three zone. The problem I have with Jim b. is that at the end of the season teams were figuring out the zone and like always he did not adjust. We looked the worst I have seen all season. Jackson should get the goat award. What did he have grease on his hand. Triche did nothing like usual. Wes did not insert himself enough like usual. And where the hel l was Joseph since taking the starting role.

In the end, I know Onuaku hurt us alot, but we still would not have beatin Kentucky if it came to that matchup. I have thought even when they keep throwing the young thing in that Kentucky was better than Kansas. They play with a hunger that you don't always see. Go Kentucky. Btw, I wasn't that surprised about Kansas losing. I thought they were a little soft with Aldridge and they did not have enough three point shooters besides Collins. Kentucky will no doubt win it all and they should. They have the most talent who have the type of desire and pride that it takes to win. Go kentucky....Fc k Kansas state too, I can't stand their coach and that dumb as s pullen. Shave that weak as s beard...Duke on the other hand, overrated and easy schedule to the final four like usual. I do believe the committe especially Dicky V. is too busy stroking Duke you know where.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,994 times
Syracuse needed Arinze. Tough break for us Orange fans. Melo was the sporting equivalent of having a divine being briefly descend from the sky, only to return to the heavens after what seemed like only an instant. Wesley Johnson isn't that caliber, but he's up there. He's gone for certain, too.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:31 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,062,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ff3w View Post
You mean the most crooked program with the most sleezy/crooked coach which will vacate this year's wins in about ohhh... 4-5 years?

P.S. I think UCLA may have something to say about your claim of "greatest program of all time"!

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 03-26-2010 at 05:40 AM..

Old 03-26-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
You mean the most crooked program with the most sleezy/crooked coach which will vacate this year's wins in about ohhh... 4-5 years?

P.S. I think UCLA may have something to say about your claim of "greatest program of all time"!
UCLA's championships are the sole responsibility of Sam Gilbert. UCLA players took a pay cut when they left for the NBA. The ONLY thing UCLA has over Kentucky is championships, and since all but 1 of those were during the Sam Gilbert era, the fact that they have no real consistency negates them from the discussion. Kentucky, North Carolina, and Kansas all are better "programs" than UCLA.

Kansas has more major NCAA infractions than Kentucky. Kansas last 2 championships ('88 and '06) are both tainted. They were on probation in '89 and couldn't defend their '88 title and were actually ON PROBATION when they won their '06 title.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 AM

Here is a list of Kentucky's basketball accomplishments.

All Time Wins: 2023 (NCAA rank #1)

All Time Winning Percentage: .761 (NCAA rank #1)

NCAA Championships: 7 (NCAA rank #2)

NCAA Championship Game Appearances: 10 (NCAA rank #2)

NCAA Final Four Appearances: 13 (NCAA rank #4)

NCAA Final Four Wins: 17 (NCAA rank #2)

NCAA Elite-8 Appearances: 32 (NCAA rank #1)

NCAA Sweet-16 Appearances: 41 (NCAA rank #1)

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 50 (NCAA rank #1)

NCAA Tournament Wins: 101 (NCAA rank #2)

NCAA Tournament Games Played: 145 (NCAA rank #1)

NCAA Tournament Winning Percentage: .697 (NCAA rank #5)

Total Postseason Tournament Appearances (NCAA and NIT): 58 (NCAA rank #1)

NBA Draft Picks: 92 (NCAA rank #2)

All Americans: 50 (NCAA rank #1)

All American Total Selections: 80 (NCAA rank #1)

First Team Consensus All-Americans: 15 (NCAA rank #2)

First Team Consensus All-American Total Selections: 20 (NCAA rank #2)

Final AP Poll Top-10 Finishes: 39 (NCAA rank #1)

Final AP Poll #1 Finishes: 8 (NCAA rank #1)

Final UPI/Coaches Poll Top-10 Finishes: 35 (NCAA rank #1)

Final UPI/Coaches Poll #1 Finishes: 7 (NCAA rank #1)

20-Win seasons: 54 (NCAA rank #1)

25-Win Seasons: 29 (NCAA rank #2)

30-Win Seasons: 12 (NCAA rank #1)

35-Win Seasons: 4 (NCAA rank #1)

Total Winning Seasons: 90 (NCAA rank #2)

Total Non-Losing Seasons (.500 or better): 93 (NCAA rank #2)

Total Decades With a Final Four Appearance: 6 (NCAA rank #2)

Total Number of Coaches With a NCAA Championship: 4 (NCAA rank #1)

Conference Regular Season Championships: 46 (NCAA rank #2)

Conference Tournament Championships: 27 (NCAA rank #1)

National Attendance Titles: 22 (NCAA rank #1)

In addition, Kentucky also has 2 NIT Titles (1946, 1976), 2 Helms Titles (1933, 1954), 5 Sugar Bowl Tournament Championships, 6 Naismith Hall-of-Fame Members, 4 National Players-of-the-Year, 10 #1 seeds all time in the NCAA Tournament, 57 1000-point scorers, and 9 Olympic Gold Medal Winners.

Further, Kentucky holds the NCAA record for Consecutive Non-Losing Seasons (60), and for Consecutive Home Court Victories (129). Kentucky was also the FIRST school to reach BOTH the 1000-win and 2000-win victory plateaus.

And finally, Kentucky can boast of having the nation's largest radio affiliate network and the nation's largest television affiliate network. Kentucky can also boast of playing in the largest BASKETBALL arena in the country (Rupp Arena). Lastly, Kentucky can boast of playing before the largest regulation game crowd in basketball history (78,129).

Old 03-26-2010, 10:44 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,062,512 times
^^^ Add "Kentucky has the most crooked/sleezy coach" to your long list... In a few years, you can also add "kentucky's wins from 2009-2010 have been vacated by the NCAA" to your list.

The same rational you have about UCLA can be said about Kentucky and Rupp era. Personally, I don't think Rupp era championships count... Not trying to step on your big blue pride but it's just my opinion. I now have even less respect for Kentucky with Calipari in charge.

P.S. There is no way anyone can talk Kentucky and Rupp ahead of UCLA and Wooden, NO WAY!! Wooden and UCLA are the legite #1. And I am NOT a UCLA fan, I don't even like them but a spade is a spade. Cheers...

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 03-26-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball