Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:03 PM

11 posts, read 63,724 times

Advertisements

You know I guess I made my decision on where to move to after I left BR based completly on schools and the type of enviornment my children would grow up in. I am 36, and I guess if I were 25 and liked to go out and all that kind of thing I would not mind living in BR. In fact it did not bother me a bit when I was 25 and lived a different lifestyle and had different concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,247 times
Default br

I have to say that as a 42 year old mother of a 5 year old, i could not be happier here. There are great restaurants and plays to attend(for my age group, there are tons of things to do). I also enjoy the softball games, gymnastics ans all the sporting events that LSU has to offer. There are also a lot of movie places here. I just have a hard time understanding why so many people say there is nothing to do in BR, I think anyone of any age can find things to do, just get the paper out and look! Believe me, this area has much more to offer than south Florida did!!!!!!!!! Nothing but beach and bore!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Caa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo32 View Post
No offense, but I am just trying to say that I do not think you will find anyone who has lived in the BR area their whole life that will say it is better off than 10, 20 or 30 years ago. I don't see how it can even be a debate.

The question should be why and then what's the solution.
Actaully, I do not know one person that has ever said their city was better off than x number of years ago, most everyone feels that their town is worse off, even people I know in Georgia and Massachutes complain about the same things we do! I do think the revitalization of downtown is pretty cool.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,791 times
Default Many Find Choices and the Time is Right

Hi there. The greater Baton Rouge area is a great place to live. Moderator cut: no advertising
Historically, the November to mid-January is a slow selling season. Combine that with the fact that there is currently an oversupply of homes over $350K in most areas makes this a great time to consider a home purchase.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-04-2007 at 02:50 AM..

Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 PM

24 posts, read 113,761 times
Hi posters. We are particularly proud of our new Central Community School District. Its public and free too. We have a great mix of asian, african american and caucasian residents. This football season was a joy at our old Central High Stadium.

edit- forgot to mention it is NORTH of Florida Blvd, still has the mostly small town feel. (despite heavy traffic for an hour or so in the am and pm)

Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneevans1 View Post
Hi posters. We are particularly proud of our new Central Community School District. Its public and free too. We have a great mix of asian, african american and caucasian residents. This football season was a joy at our old Central High Stadium.

edit- forgot to mention it is NORTH of Florida Blvd, still has the mostly small town feel. (despite heavy traffic for an hour or so in the am and pm)
Central (and Zachary as well) can be considered exceptions to the "north of Florida Blvd" rule. Word of caution: the road insfrastructure in Central needs major updating, and the NIMBYs have fought hard against the proposed loop going through Central.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 16,332 times
Default Move to Baton Rouge

I have recently moved away from Baton Rouge after living there for 37 years. The thing I miss least about it is the traffic. If I were moving back I would most definetly move to a location that had easy access to my employment. That being said, and not knowing whom you work for, school location would be next on my list. The public school system is awful but there are a few exceptions to this. Shenandoah Elementary has a very good reputation and is located in an area with some good housing. Both the middle school and high school that it feeds into are brand new and very nice facilities. I would be cocerned about disipline and drugs in the upper grades however. Episcapal is an excellent K - 12th school as is Runnels which has no religious affiliation. There are also a number of magnet programs that look good but most likely require a long bus ride for the kids. L.S.U also has a lab school that people speak highly of but of which I have no first hand knowledge. If you decide to move to Livingston or Ascension, get ready to deal with some major traffic headaches! It would be a fluke if you could get into a Catholic school not being Catholic - they are in really high demand but you never know, it can be done. Good luck, Baton Rouge can be a fun place to live if you can put up with the traffic and shady politics!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana101 View Post
Baton Rouge can be a fun place to live if you can put up with the traffic and shady politics!
Louisiana has a reputation (mostly deserved) for its politics, although we have a lot of new faces this year in the legislature and statewide offices. BR, however, is fairly tame by comparison.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Caa

Parkview Baptist is an excellent school. I love it here, but traffic, it is the same as anywhere else, people say traffic is bad here, but compared to some places I have lived, it is not bad at all! I truly love it here!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:59 PM

54 posts, read 193,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
this area has much more to offer than south Florida did!!!!!!!!! Nothing but beach and bore!
? Still trying to figure this one out, I suppose if you like movies and LSU sports vs clubs, the beach, and all of the professional sports south Florida offered. South Florida has a ton to offer, although some parts are extremely rough and the people are usually alot more rude than the rest of the southeast.

I wonder what will happen with Baton Rouge. Ususally homes around the downtown areas of a city greatly decrease as people sprawl to the burbs but with so many people moving to other places and people moving from other places to Baton Rouge who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge