Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:23 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,347,442 times

Advertisements

I bought Industrial Zoned Land with a Residential exemption. No problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 04:00 AM

722 posts, read 1,354,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I bought Industrial Zoned Land with a Residential exemption. No problems.
You constantly bash CCR/ HOA and the "anal" people who live in them so why would you buy land zoned with restrictions? thought you wanted "anything goes"

Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,006,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
You constantly bash CCR/ HOA and the "anal" people who live in them so why would you buy land zoned with restrictions? thought you wanted "anything goes"
I think you misread Steve's post. He has Industrial Zoned Land with a Residential exemption.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:29 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I think you misread Steve's post. He has Industrial Zoned Land with a Residential exemption.
I would never live where Steve lives, just too noisy and dusty. He is almost surrounded by industrial properties but probably has a nice view out the back way.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I did not miss his point. There are rules associated with the land and surrounding properties he purchased. There cant be an exemption on land with no rules. my point has always been he bashes CCR and HOA when in the truth there probably isnt land in OR that doesn't have some degree of land use rules/zoning?

Just tired of his ranting. Some people like and see benefits of more restictive CCR/HOA properties. Steve is name calling "anal" and bashing them all the time. onward and round and round we go ...

Old 02-24-2014, 12:03 AM

Snownut, when it comes to doing what you want, neighborhood CC&Rs aren't even in the same ballpark as an industrial lot with a residential exemption. Steve got as close to anything goes as I can think of. I would say that Central Oregon has many "anything goes" areas. Neighborhoods with strict CC&Rs are more of an exception than the rule around here, but I think they will become more common in Bend with the population growth.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Snownut, when it comes to doing what you want, neighborhood CC&Rs aren't even in the same ballpark as an industrial lot with a residential exemption. Steve got as close to anything goes as I can think of. I would say that Central Oregon has many "anything goes" areas. Neighborhoods with strict CC&Rs are more of an exception than the rule around here, but I think they will become more common in Bend with the population growth.

Wow, I did not know there was a difference between where Steve lives and all the other "anal people" .. Thank you so much for setting me straight, I thought they were the same.

Interesting many areas of Central OR have "anything goes" land.. no permits, no building codes, no health department regulations, no fire regulations, no environmental laws, hunting laws, etc... a sprawling "free for all" in the high desert.

Not sure anyone need post here anymore, just send your questions to the "BendLocal and Steve Show" your one stop source for the final word and the real truth on all that is OR..

Old 02-24-2014, 07:53 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,928,191 times
When searching for our property we found many with very lax restrictions, and it showed. Trash everywhere, old cars and trucks in the front yard, Building across property lines, racing ATV's on their property and others. High powered rifles in the back yard of a 1/2 acre plot. These properties were often right next to very nice homes.
I guess if that's is the way you want to live........

Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
When searching for our property we found many with very lax restrictions, and it showed. Trash everywhere, old cars and trucks in the front yard, Building across property lines, racing ATV's on their property and others. High powered rifles in the back yard of a 1/2 acre plot.
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Interesting many areas of Central OR have "anything goes" land.. no permits, no building codes, no health department regulations, no fire regulations, no environmental laws, hunting laws, etc... a sprawling "free for all" in the high desert.
Central Oregon is a large remote area imbued with a strong sense of personal rights. That is why some people are extremely annoyed by things like CC&Rs. Some of my long time local friends feel the same way. They don't understand why anyone would ever agree to neighbors telling them what they can do on their own land. They also think its crazy to tell your neighbor what to do! "Mind your own business" might be a popular C.O. bumper sticker.

Did you know that gun shooting is a popular activity? When you go hiking and mtn biking its not uncommon to hear gun fire. I'm not kidding - you are riding a mtn bike just a few miles from Bend and you might be hearing BANG BANG BANG as you ride the trails with your family. This can be unsettling for big city transplants that just can't believe there is shooting that you can hear from the trails. You aren't in Kansas anymore!

Last edited by BendLocal; 02-24-2014 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,280,827 times
Quote:
When you go hiking and mtn biking its not uncommon to hear gun fire. I'm not kidding - you are riding a mtn bike just a few miles from Bend and you might be hearing BANG BANG BANG as you ride the trails with your family. This can be unsettling for big city transplants that just can't believe there is shooting that you can hear from the trails. You aren't in Kansas anymore!
A bit of an over exaggeration in my experience. Only time I've heard 'Bang, Bang' is hiking east of town in or near the Badlands. Also, I've found shellings on Horse Butte which is out east too.

West of town, in the National Forrest and Wilderness, it's extremely uncommon to hear gunshots in my experience. I've never heard one and I'm up there on a very regular basis.

Also, big city transplants may or may not be more use to hearing gunshots on a regular basis. I heard a ton more gun fire in a month in my apartment in Baltimore than my entire 3.5 years at my house in Bend/hiking the surrounding areas. It really depends.

Last edited by kapetrich; 02-24-2014 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend