Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,280,827 times

Advertisements

Edit: Spare us your lectures.

Last edited by kapetrich; 02-24-2014 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:17 PM

150 posts, read 215,546 times
Wow, I hope the experience of living in Bend is slightly better than the bantering that can go on back and forth in here. I may be guilty to a degree (as Snownut also mentioned he was) of looking at Bend through slightly rose-tinted glasses too, but if I only listened to the things that BendLocal has posted and did no other research and moved sight unseen, I would probably be very surprised with what I found in Bend.

BendLocal - Do you have a personal reason for making Bend sound "not as great as others portray it" or does it just come off that way through these forums? Or is it really not as great as others seem to portray it?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM

740 posts, read 1,251,620 times
Last year I watched the bickering and bantering on this forum from another state. Everyone has an opinion but you can check on most facts, like snow amounts, taxes, etc. We came to visit central Oregon for the first time last summer and within four days had made an offer on a house. We've only lived here four months now but feel that we made a good decision. Everyone's situation is different, so back your gut feeling with some due diligence and go with it.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 AM

150 posts, read 215,546 times
Thanks Coniferian, we have definitely been doing our due diligence, and we don't plan on moving until probably next spring with potentially a couple more visits to the area between now and then, just to "make sure" and scout out areas. I always take stuff on message boards with a grain of salt, but thanks for the advice!

Old 02-25-2014, 09:52 AM

722 posts, read 1,354,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
Last year I watched the bickering and bantering on this forum from another state. Everyone has an opinion but you can check on most facts, like snow amounts, taxes, etc. We came to visit central Oregon for the first time last summer and within four days had made an offer on a house. We've only lived here four months now but feel that we made a good decision. Everyone's situation is different, so back your gut feeling with some due diligence and go with it.
Glad you are feeling good about your decision, look forward to more of your local perspectives here on the forum.

I think most folks coming here for info can sort through the bantering.. if they have the patience.

The photos you have been posting are wonderful, particularly the Aerial shots. The one of Redmond has me wondering about that town/city?

Perhaps you could start a "What's it like in Redmond Thread" I only know it is where my flights land and that the Redmond Lowe's stocked the tile we needed for our remodel last year. I am sure it has its own identity and offerings.

I imagine other people are interested in what Redmond is like? Bend gets all the attention and maybe that it the way the people of Redmond like it?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:11 PM

740 posts, read 1,251,620 times
The adage about higher housing prices in Bend vs higher taxes in Redmond rings true. If you judge the town by what you see from 97 you'll be disappointed. We were used to suburbs of Denver where the sea of roofs went on forever. In our Redmond house we're less than a mile from farmland, but have city amenities. Dry Canyon is great for bike riding, dog walking and frisbee golf. About the only thing this town doesn't have is a Target, but there is a Super Walmart (we were rarely ever in a Walmart in Colorado). And it's a quick jaunt down to Bend for all the happenin' stuff and Trader Joe's. Of course, our perspective comes from being retired and we seldom have to be anywhere, like commuting to work.

We haven't been here long enough to comment on Redmond's "identity" but the people, like most Central Oregonians, seem uniformly friendly. We like it so far and can't wait to see what summers are like here.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,347,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
You constantly bash CCR/ HOA and the "anal" people who live in them so why would you buy land zoned with restrictions? thought you wanted "anything goes"
I didn't. We have one industrial classification. "Any Legal Endeavor". I also never said I want anything goes. I hate Anarchy. In fact many HOA's are anarchist in design and implementation.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
The adage about higher housing prices in Bend vs higher taxes in Redmond rings true. If you judge the town by what you see from 97 you'll be disappointed. We were used to suburbs of Denver where the sea of roofs went on forever. In our Redmond house we're less than a mile from farmland, but have city amenities. Dry Canyon is great for bike riding, dog walking and frisbee golf. About the only thing this town doesn't have is a Target, but there is a Super Walmart (we were rarely ever in a Walmart in Colorado). And it's a quick jaunt down to Bend for all the happenin' stuff and Trader Joe's. Of course, our perspective comes from being retired and we seldom have to be anywhere, like commuting to work.

We haven't been here long enough to comment on Redmond's "identity" but the people, like most Central Oregonians, seem uniformly friendly. We like it so far and can't wait to see what summers are like here.
Thanks for the update, I did not know about the dry canyon there until your photo .. that "uniformly friendly" is consistent with my Bend/Central Oregon experiences. (everywhere except on this forum)

Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,006,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener_Pastures View Post
BendLocal - Do you have a personal reason for making Bend sound "not as great as others portray it" or does it just come off that way through these forums? Or is it really not as great as others seem to portray it?
Bend has many very nice qualities but I see no point in jumping aboard the bandwagon that is overselling the town. 300 days of sunshine? Seriously? I could go on but what is the point. Believe what you will.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Bend has many very nice qualities but I see no point in jumping aboard the bandwagon that is overselling the town. 300 days of sunshine? Seriously? I could go on but what is the point. Believe what you will.

I think most of us here are focused on the "very nice qualities" with realistic knowledge there are problems and issues in Bend. It is certainly not a "perfect" place but I think (as others have noted) is has some unique qualities that set Bend apart from some similar sized Cities around the country. That is why it has grown and is attractive to people like myself.

That seems your go to point and I haven't observed anyone on this forum claiming 300 days of sunshine ? I and many others have written that off as untrue.

Please share another of your "overselling" examples from the bandwagon. That one isn't on any bandwagon here.

If anything I think you are on the "Bandwagon" of underselling the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend