Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:03 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
VTHokieFan, did you get a parking spot where you wanted?

By early afternoon many of the trailhead parking lots were packed and well over capacity.
I got a parking spot at Devil's Lake parking lot arriving around 7. Also successfully, made the round trip in 9.5 hours, including 1.5 hours at the top. The ascent was probably the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life, but I think most of it was because of the lack of oxygen. I was cracking up the whole time going down because basically you have two options: out-of-control sliding or in-control sliding, haha. I guess I just found that ridiculous. I was basically rock skiing in my hiking boots.

Next time: camp the night before to at least get 1/2 way acclimated.

Also, Bend is absolutely incredible. First time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:22 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,691,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I got a parking spot at Devil's Lake parking lot arriving around 7. Also successfully, made the round trip in 9.5 hours, including 1.5 hours at the top. The ascent was probably the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life, but I think most of it was because of the lack of oxygen. I was cracking up the whole time going down because basically you have two options: out-of-control sliding or in-control sliding, haha. I guess I just found that ridiculous. I was basically rock skiing in my hiking boots.

Next time: camp the night before to at least get 1/2 way acclimated.

Also, Bend is absolutely incredible. First time there.
I didn't even think about elevation, but I'm originally from Colorado and I forget that Portland is so much lower than Bend. Glad you had a great hike and enjoyed Bend. Next time, definitely come the night before!

Old 09-08-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I didn't even think about elevation, but I'm originally from Colorado and I forget that Portland is so much lower than Bend. Glad you had a great hike and enjoyed Bend. Next time, definitely come the night before!
Yeh. I went from 100 feet to 10300 in about an 8 hour time period.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:02 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,691,394 times
Quote:
Luckily, altitude sickness doesn't usually happen for people until they get above 12,000 feet. Glad you didn't experience any of that. It is truly awful at best and life threatening for some.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:20 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Quote:
Yeah, going from low to high sucks. But the reverse is great, I feel like a superstar marathon runner when I'm in Eugene.

Did you get any good pics?

-----------------------------
Maybe it's age related by many of my lowlander friends that come to Bachelor get hit with mild alt sickness for the first day or two.

Altitude Sickness-Topic Overview

Quote:
It happens most often when people who are not used to high altitudes go quickly from lower altitudes to 8000 ft (2438 m) or higher.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Yeah, going from low to high sucks. But the reverse is great, I feel like a superstar marathon runner when I'm in Eugene.

Did you get any good pics?

-----------------------------
Maybe it's age related by many of my lowlander friends that come to Bachelor get hit with mild alt sickness for the first day or two.

Altitude Sickness-Topic Overview

Eh, it was hazy caused by (I believe) wildfires. But I got "the" picture of the other two sisters. Do the Middle and North Sister have non-technical routes during the summer months?

Old 09-11-2014, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,588 times
Quote:
Eh, it was hazy caused by (I believe) wildfires. But I got "the" picture of the other two sisters. Do the Middle and North Sister have non-technical routes during the summer months?
I have climbed all of the Sisters, plus Broken Top, but not North Sister. Middle Sister can be easily climbed from Chambers Lakes (SE) or from Arrowhead Lake (NW). North Sister is pretty technical. People die on that one occasionally.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:34 AM

722 posts, read 1,353,780 times
I have been busy unpacking and working on the many logistics of a move across the country and then moving again 7 weeks later so haven't been able to read the threads beyond a scan.

So many hikes I want to do around here. This thread is great reading the first hand experiences.

Look forward to getting out there to S Sister soon. I always go very early and haven't had any issues with crowds or parking anywhere I have been so far.

So many mountains, so many lakes, so many trails... good thing I live here now! it is going to take a long time to get through many of even the popular sights.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Early is key for parking at the South Sisters TH (Devil's Lake parking lot) but it can be at capacity early in the morning from overnight campers.

I visited a few of the lakes last Sunday and hit Devil's Lake in the early afternoon. Lot was completely filled and there were more cars parked up and down Century than I've seen before. Todd's and Sparks Lake were packed. Todd's was so crowded I left after half a mile of hiking. Green Lakes TH parking was over capacity with cars parked near the "only park in designated spots" sign, which was funny. Hosmer was as crowded as I've ever seen it. To get away from the crowds I ended up at Lava Lake. And this wasn't even a holiday weekend although some may have been thinking it was close to the last warm weekend at the lakes.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:34 AM

722 posts, read 1,353,780 times
Wow we are we living in the same place? You must be a crowd magnet. I haven't been to the Devils Lake parking lot so no experience with that one.

I did hike black butte back (weekday) in July, that is a very popular hike (as I have read various places) . There was one other car in the parking lot at 8:30 am, I hiked to the top and did not see anyone until I reached the summit where there was a family from Seattle that asked me to take a family photo. I passed I'd estimate 20 people on the decent and there was still plenty of parking in the lot.

On Labor Day Saturday (middle of the day!) we walked the Shevlin Park Loop and again plenty of parking and a couple dozen people during the entire walk.

We did the Todd Lake Loop back in July (weekday) and there was plenty of parking. I recall less than 10 hikers on the loop. There were around 6 painters with their easels capturing the views.

3 weekends ago we did Misery Ridge Loop at Smith Rock on a Saturday morning, had no trouble parking and trails in the morning were not crowded. This is compared to trails in VA where I used to hike.

I know it comes down to perspective and experience so obviously someone who has lived in Bend might miss the days when the town was much smaller and not marketed so well? There at plenty of remote places in the country (and near Bend) if someone wants extreme isolation it is easy to find.

Personally I like seeing people and chatting when I am out hiking. The enormous wilderness areas here are intimidating to me and it is comforting knowing someone will probably find you if you fall or have an injury of some type.

Quote:
Early is key for parking at the South Sisters TH (Devil's Lake parking lot) but it can be at capacity early in the morning from overnight campers.

I visited a few of the lakes last Sunday and hit Devil's Lake in the early afternoon. Lot was completely filled and there were more cars parked up and down Century than I've seen before. Todd's and Sparks Lake were packed. Todd's was so crowded I left after half a mile of hiking. Green Lakes TH parking was over capacity with cars parked near the "only park in designated spots" sign, which was funny. Hosmer was as crowded as I've ever seen it. To get away from the crowds I ended up at Lava Lake. And this wasn't even a holiday weekend although some may have been thinking it was close to the last warm weekend at the lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend