Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 AM

286 posts, read 521,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralOregonDude02 View Post
No I'm not doing the same because I personally don't mind Bend. I like the town. Just some of the people are unbearable because they think they are better than most other people. I don't think I'm better than anyone else.
Maybe you don’t, but it's amazing how many Oregonians do. The display of bigotry here is just breathtaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
The Californian immigration has brought some snobs, and huge homes, and gentrified towns (Ashland comes to mind)
How do you know that California transplants are the cause of the effect that you've observed? California is a convenient scapegoat and many people simply choose to believe by fiat that there is a different culture in California that is omnipotent and irrepresible and transforms an area whenever a few Californians comes into a new state. I doubt it. There in no monolithic California. The state embraces a lot of different cultures that vary with region, ethnicity and socioeconomic status. Most of the rich Californians never moved out of the state -- they didn't have to.

I think that Metlakatla's hypothesis is more convincing. Much of what is considered "California snobbiness" in southern Oregon would be considered mainstream Oregon culture in Portland. It's the "me decade" of the 80's more, than any particular direction of geographic movement, that has changed Oregon. And the changes being seen in Oregon can also be seen everywhere else in the country...even in northern California. The Californication Hypothesis is a cause-and-effect assumption with no demonstrable evidence.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
I think that the OP's incident is less of a Bend thing and more of an Awbrey Butte thing.

Of course, the only way to really fully understand the comment would have been to ask a follow-up question to figure out why she said it.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
How do you know that California transplants are the cause of the effect that you've observed? California is a convenient scapegoat and many people simply choose to believe by fiat that there is a different culture in California that is omnipotent and irrepresible and transforms an area whenever a few Californians comes into a new state. I doubt it. There in no monolithic California. The state embraces a lot of different cultures that vary with region, ethnicity and socioeconomic status. Most of the rich Californians never moved out of the state -- they didn't have to.

I think that Metlakatla's hypothesis is more convincing. Much of what is considered "California snobbiness" in southern Oregon would be considered mainstream Oregon culture in Portland. It's the "me decade" of the 80's more, than any particular direction of geographic movement, that has changed Oregon. And the changes being seen in Oregon can also be seen everywhere else in the country...even in northern California. The Californication Hypothesis is a cause-and-effect assumption with no demonstrable evidence.
Believe me, I know of what I speak. In Ashland, at least. It has been completely conquered by exurban Californians, and not from Bakersfield. You quoted me out of context there though. I meant to say that some people might be snobs,but even the so-called "snobs" have good sides too. And I completely agree about the diversity of California, and the many cultures it contains. You have to realize the housing bubble launched hundreds of thousands of equity-rich people on specific regions of Oregon (Ashland/Medford, Bend, the S. Coast, nice parts of Portland area) over a very short period. Locals feel threatened or usurped, and the incomers have not really learned that much about Oregon. So misunderstandings will occur. Are Oregonians any better than Californians? Of course not, but it will take efforts on both sides to come together as a cohesive state.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:31 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Are Oregonians any better than Californians? Of course not, but it will take efforts on both sides to come together as a cohesive state.
Especially now that these California transplants are trapped in underwater mortgages. We'd better learn to accept them, because they ain't going anywhere for a loooong time.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Especially now that these California transplants are trapped in underwater mortgages. We'd better learn to accept them, because they ain't going anywhere for a loooong time.

Oh man, you are right about that. I do know a few that have cashed out an investment home in California for ridiculous cash ($200k on a 3br ranch investment home in Newhall or some other burb) in 2005, moved to Oregon and plunked $400k down on a "cheap" home in a town with a $35k median family income, then bailed a couple years later after taking a $150k bath. Poetic justice at some level, since the equity was never real anyway, and the person who took the hit might as well be someone who struck it big a few years earlier. In any case, we won't have the equity nomads rolling in like a few years ago, that's for sure. But the ones we have are going to have to settle in and enjoy Oregon.

This whole housing bubble thing is a bit of a crack up at some dark level. I was told in 2002 to "buy now or be priced out forever." So after much searching, I bought a tiny home in 2003. And now it feels like I will be "priced in" forever!

Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
We've been casually looking at homes to buy here... and it's crazy the number of people still trying to sell homes at what they were (maybe) worth 5 years ago. Way too much for the true values now. We're definitely taking our time. No rush.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,374 times
Well, folks

I've been living in rural AZ for the last 7 years and have had enough. Too many SoCals and their reactionary ideas. We are moving to Redmond for a number of reasons. We like the smaller town atmosphere of Redmond, yet have the advantages of a larger city (medical care, shopping, cultural, etc.). Also, we are buying a house for $140,000 that 3 years ago sold for exactly twice as much!

Such a deal!! And real trees and grass.

We are originally from the Midwest. We have lived in Western PA, Mass., Michigan, Illinois, AZ, and soon Oregon. One thing we've noticed. Natives of the East Coast no nothing about anything west of the NY border and have little interest in learning, natives of the West and SW no nothing of the country east of the Rockies and have little interest in learning, and Midwesterners know little of either coast, but are curious. Maybe people in this country need to travel more and take an interest in their country, instead or relying on assumptions and prejudices.

See all you Oregonians in a few months!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 PM

20 posts, read 89,182 times
Here is the thing...it seems that everyone wants to blame someone else for the trials of the area. In the border states it is the illegal aliens. In other areas it is people from other states. Unless you go to every house and ask them if they are from California you are making an assumption that could be incorrect. It sounds like the old saying...I don't have anything against (whatever), some of my best friends are (whatever). It is so easy to fall into the generalization trap. If I want to sell my house I don't care who buys it..I just need to move. How can I sell my house to someone and then be mad because they are in the area? There are good people and bad people everywhere. If you like someone thats great and if you don't that's ok....just move on. Wars are fought for things like this.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:23 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,634 times
to answer your original question, probably not just the rich ones. tons of people in Eugene look down on Springfield even though the cities are not that different. People in Springfield probably look down on Glenwood or something. everyone just likes to kick someone else's dog, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend