Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 11:59 PM

26 posts, read 51,365 times

Advertisements

It's been quite some time since I last posted. January 5th will be 1 year since I moved Hawaii. My life has changed and all for the better. Here are some updates:

- My boyfriend and I got engaged this week. I'm so in love with that man.

- I am still maintaining my 4.0 GPA. I will be applying for this cycle of the nursing program.

- My mom came to visit for the first time and she met my boyfriend (now fiance).

-Work is going well. It's a means to an end and lets me pay my bills so I can stay in school.

Now I have a question... where can I go wedding dress shopping on the Big Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Why get all dressed up for a wedding? Island style it doesn't have to be fancy and saves tons of money on a dress you will only wear once. With a white bikini and a bit of lace, you could have a beach wedding.

Macy's would probably have some traditional wedding dresses as well as you could check the phone book or find someone's auntie who is a seamstress. There is a small sewing shop in Honoka'a called "Sew Creative" and there is probably someone there who could sew up a dress for you.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
[quote=hotzcatz;17146076]Why get all dressed up for a wedding? Island style it doesn't have to be fancy and saves tons of money on a dress you will only wear once. With a white bikini and a bit of lace, you could have a beach wedding. /QUOTE]

Or... and I'm not kidding... check the thrift shops. I've seen a lot of wedding dresses there at various time, and most of them have only been worn once!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Thrift shops are a good choice! Considering at this point in time you are just starting out, it doesn't make a lot of financial sense to max out the credit cards or use up cash money that could be better spent on setting up your new household. Have an inexpensive wedding and ask everyone to help donate to a down payment on a house instead of giving you toasters - then you'd have a wedding gift which would last. You can rent a pavilion very inexpensively at a beach park and have a wedding party there. Get some friends to entertain or put CDs on a music system. Either make the food yourself or if you are inviting local folks, a pot luck works. A wedding party barbeque can be a lot of fun and not very expensive. If you know someone who has an imu, you could have a luau style wedding. Mostly it's a big party where there is a priest and you end up married in the middle of it. No expensive decorations, since you are outside - more or less - no big expensive dress up, etc. It's easy to drop twenty or thirty thousand on a wedding and not spending that much on a half day event at the same time you are setting up your new household will do wonders for making your life a lot easier afterwards.

Oh, yeah, pawn shops have loads of wedding rings, too! Are there any family heirlooms which can be made over into a ring? Or family heirloom rings which can be used? I've seen folks get their wedding rings tattooed on lately, that might be an interesting option.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 8,980 times
Here's an idea, my brother's girlfriend started working at mu mu heaven, a store that takes old mu mu floral print fabrics and refashions them to modern style dresses. how perfect for a hawaiin wedding Home | Mu'umu'u Heaven - Unique Hawaiian Fashions from Vintage Aloha Wear

Old 12-27-2010, 02:15 PM

18 posts, read 39,155 times
congrats on the success of your move. i wonder if you can share any info on how competetive the nursing program is a hawai'i cc. i currently live in seattle and no one is getting into nursing programs here unless they have at least a 3.9. (i have a 3.4, a bachelor's degree, and really good test scores, but still no luck.) i got my acceptance letter to hawai'i cc on the friday before christmas and will have to wait untill the 4th to speak to someone at the colllege about specific entrance requirments for nursing...waiting is hard. any info shared will be appreciated.
thanks!

Old 12-27-2010, 02:16 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathed View Post
Here's an idea, my brother's girlfriend started working at mu mu heaven, a store that takes old mu mu floral print fabrics and refashions them to modern style dresses. how perfect for a hawaiin wedding Home | Mu'umu'u Heaven - Unique Hawaiian Fashions from Vintage Aloha Wear
Mu'umu'u Heave is awesome, but they're on Oahu not the BI.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 AM

406 posts, read 866,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Have an inexpensive wedding and ask everyone to help donate to a down payment on a house instead of giving you toasters - then you'd have a wedding gift which would last.

Lots of people getting married get multiple toasters, food processors, sets of cooking utensils, etc. A great wedding gift people usually don't think of is a tool box with the basics - hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. When the couple move into a new home and want to hang a picture, or repair a leaky faucet they have the tools at hand.

Mickey

Old 12-29-2010, 05:08 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
Lots of people getting married get multiple toasters, food processors, sets of cooking utensils, etc. A great wedding gift people usually don't think of is a tool box with the basics - hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. When the couple move into a new home and want to hang a picture, or repair a leaky faucet they have the tools at hand.

Mickey

Now lots of people will be getting multiple tool boxes.

It may sound tacky but giving money for a wedding present might be the most useful thing to do. The recipients can decide for themselves what they most want or need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island