Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 03:11 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Oh, so you no wan' hear about saimin?
yes i what to hear the Saimin and i getting hungry just reading the things about the foods ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,605,835 times
Quote:
IHOP? One. Prince Kuhio Plaza in Hilo. Roy's Pancake House on Kamehameha is better, legendary even, and is open 24/7
surely you mean Ken's? that place is priiiiiime. i get something different off the menu every time. sumo anyone?

sorry, just re-read the thread and realized someone else pointed this out. still one of hilo's gems though!!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:23 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
surely you mean Ken's? that place is priiiiiime. i get something different off the menu every time. sumo anyone?

sorry, just re-read the thread and realized someone else pointed this out. still one of hilo's gems though!!
It's probably unkind to bring up sumo when Henry1 isn't even up to saimin yet and is already jonesing for some ono grinds.

On the other hand, you seem to have same kine keyboard as Henry1, with the broken SHIFT key, so maybe you bruddahs should talk in private.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 PM

The one person in my work who could cook all the Hawai'i dish that we all like has moved back to Maui for good to take care of her mother and she would cook on sundays and bring it in to work for us to enjoy and i starting to jones for my fix of her cooking on sundays ..

We all chip in some money on weds night after work and when she came back on sunday night to work she would bring in mouth watering dish for us to eat that night at lunch and now since she been gone now for about two weeks iam in a need of a fix of her cooking and you guys here are talking about local food and it makeing me hungry for her cooking..

She was the only person who i have met that could make meat of the fish that she would cook just fall off the bone and taste like heaven with the spics she used when cooking ...

Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
and now since she been gone now for about two weeks iam in a need of a fix of her cooking and you guys here are talking about local food and it makeing me hungry for her cooking..
You know, the best thing to keep the aging mind in good health is to keep learning new things. It's never too late to learn to cook...

Old 01-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Iam a pretty good cook i can hold my own againest most of the people who i work with there in the kitchen .. The problem is i can never get the dish to taste the same way that she does it and has the magic touch when it comes to fixing some foods

Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,605,835 times
Quote:
It's probably unkind to bring up sumo when Henry1 isn't even up to saimin yet and is already jonesing for some ono grinds.

On the other hand, you seem to have same kine keyboard as Henry1, with the broken SHIFT key, so maybe you bruddahs should talk in private.
damn i miss the food.. shout-outs for cafe 100? yes please. mmmm i'll be back there soon enough

Old 01-27-2011, 01:42 PM

"So we got these directions to the place that were all full of 'mauka' this and 'makai' that, but we got totally lost. Which means left and which means right?"

Ha! Hawiian directions actually make sense when you consider that left and right are subjective terms when given in directions, depending entirely on which direction you are coming from. Hawiian directions are absolute, and therefore better navigational terms overall.

Mauka = towards the mountain, or inland; Makai = towards the sea. These terms are so endemic to Hawiian culture that you hear them used on TV news reports, and see them in newspaper articles.

Welcome to Hawai'i !

Old 01-27-2011, 02:49 PM

84 posts, read 152,293 times
Vegetarian versions of manapua!!! I hope they have them on the Big Island. Anyone know where I could get some? Any other vegetarian/vegan suggestions? We will be there in July.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreDedra View Post
Vegetarian versions of manapua!!! I hope they have them on the Big Island. Anyone know where I could get some? Any other vegetarian/vegan suggestions? We will be there in July.
I bought some vegetarian manapua at "Down to Earth" in Hilo. Here's a link...
Down to Earth Hilo (http://www.downtoearth.org/our-stores/store-locations/down-to-earth-hilo - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island