Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
We could do the reverse of what mainland people do and it's amazing to us. I visited some mainland relatives this summer and they put potato chips in a bowl on the table and left them there for several days. !!!! The potato chips not only stayed crispy, but there weren't any bugs in the bowl! Extremely amazing to me but they seemed to think it was normal.
Here, in order to keep chips crispy and bug free the first thing is we get corn chips instead of potato chips. Corn chips can withstand several hours in high humidity and still have a crispness to them.
Potato chips are so central to the American Way of Life (along with Truth and Justice) that I'm amazed that more recently transplanted mainlanders don't go screaming back home on this basis alone!

My theory about the popularity of "Hawaiian style" kettle chips is that they last a little longer in the open air because they have a hard coat of extra oil which makes them more waterproof.

The problem I find with corn chips as a substitute, is that unlike potato chips, which go limp within hours, corn chips go tough.

Quote:
Potato chips are gonners in about an hour and a half or so. We also have an old oven which has a pilot light so it stays warm and dry inside. All of our chips are stored in the oven after they've been opened in order to retain any hope of crispness.
That's really quite brilliant, 'Catz. I nominate you for a $500 CDF award for sharing that innovation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 PM

268 posts, read 383,433 times
Tell me you guys are kidding about the "couple hours" shelf life of opened chips?! Really? Come on, are you punkin' us mainlanders?

Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,175 times
Quote:
We could do the reverse of what mainland people do and it's amazing to us. I visited some mainland relatives this summer and they put potato chips in a bowl on the table and left them there for several days. !!!! The potato chips not only stayed crispy, but there weren't any bugs in the bowl! Extremely amazing to me but they seemed to think it was normal. Of course, they had humidity of about ten percent and it had just barely started to warm up for summer so this may have been before there were any bugs around. Although, maybe they don't have bugs in their house. I didn't see any. Didn't ask, though.

Here, in order to keep chips crispy and bug free the first thing is we get corn chips instead of potato chips. Corn chips can withstand several hours in high humidity and still have a crispness to them. Potato chips are gonners in about an hour and a half or so. We also have an old oven which has a pilot light so it stays warm and dry inside. All of our chips are stored in the oven after they've been opened in order to retain any hope of crispness.
Would it work to use a FoodSaver vacuum sealing system? Put the chips and other food items in containers. The air is then vacuumed out with the FoodSaver system.

Vacuum Sealer & Food Sealer Accessories at FoodSaver.com.

I use the FoodSaver system to seal premeasured 2 cup sized Minnesota wild rice in plastic. I buy the wild rice in bulk and divide the 50 pound bag into many small 2 cup vacuum sealed FoodSaver bags.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Would it work to use a FoodSaver vacuum sealing system? Put the chips and other food items in containers. The air is then vacuumed out with the FoodSaver system.
You missed the point. When guests come over you don't put out a bowl of dip and a Foodsaver bag of chips.

And to 67CAM, no, we're not kidding. When the humidity is high a bowl of chips can go limp in an hour or so, and in many places there will be ants or other wee beasties throwing a luau in the bowl in about the same time frame.

That last point throws some people even more than the limp chips do. We have a lot of bugs on the Big Island. Lots. All kinds. There's no cold winter to make then die back like most of the mainland gets. So gardening and householding both have special challenges... termites, roaches, fruit flies, mosquitoes, centipedes, scorpions, ants, fleas, ticks, whiteflies, aphids... we've got them all and more, any time of year.

So of course you keep your food in insect proof containers, but as soon as you put any of it out on the table the battle for control begins.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:12 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
^^^^^

Thus the pidgin term "kakaroach" Take without asking.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Perhaps places selling AC should put in the advertisements - while you are cool and refreshed, keep your chips fresh just like the mainland!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Does AC de-humidify enough to keep potato chips crisp? That might make the cost of AC more worthwhile. There's dehumidifiers, but what with the louver windows, I doubt we'd be able to keep the wind out enough that the dehumidifier could de-humid everything.

Hmm, maybe a "crisper" box would be less expensive to run. Just a closed in box with a small heat source under it. Do you think the pilot light/flame helps keep the humidity out or is it the heat part? Heating a small box would be a lot easier than a small box with a flame under it.

Generally, though, high humidity is pretty good. You get off the airplane and you can just feel your skin relax into it. No more lotion, lip balm and all that other goopy stuff you need on the mainland to feel comfortable.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Does AC de-humidify enough to keep potato chips crisp?
Yes - And eliminates mold/mildew. And you don't need special furniture. Or not keep certain things.

I do find it interesting people think there is much humidity in Hawaii - try Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, Virginia, and all states south of those if you really want humidity in the summer. They must have AC for day to day living and enjoy crisp chips!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:26 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Does AC de-humidify enough to keep potato chips crisp? That might make the cost of AC more worthwhile. There's dehumidifiers, but what with the louver windows, I doubt we'd be able to keep the wind out enough that the dehumidifier could de-humid everything.

Hmm, maybe a "crisper" box would be less expensive to run. Just a closed in box with a small heat source under it. Do you think the pilot light/flame helps keep the humidity out or is it the heat part? Heating a small box would be a lot easier than a small box with a flame under it.

Generally, though, high humidity is pretty good. You get off the airplane and you can just feel your skin relax into it. No more lotion, lip balm and all that other goopy stuff you need on the mainland to feel comfortable.
Yes its wonderful.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
Tell me you guys are kidding about the "couple hours" shelf life of opened chips?! Really? Come on, are you punkin' us mainlanders?
Not much of an issue. Buy fresh tropical fruit for snacks instead of potato chips.

Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island