Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:36 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times

Advertisements

Usually vog in DH isn't bad because the tradewinds blow it right on by. It then ends up settling in Kona.

HO fees in DH are about $85 per year. That's a pittance when you consider what other HOA's charge. We maintain a community center where we have various social events through the year.

Monthly power depends on your usage. People pay anywhere between $150 and $300. We have propane stove, dryer and water heater, which helps reduce the bills. Some people use on-demand water heaters and others hang their clothes out to dry. Ours runs about $200 a month for two people in a 1700 square foot house. That's using 2 computers and a tv.

Monthly water bill runs about $20. We usually get enough rain that we don't need to water very often. Rainfall varies widely just in our subdivision -- the lower the elevation the less rain. We are at 1,200 feet and get twice as much rain as people at 800 feet which is the bottom of our subdivision.

There are local clinics in Naalehu and Ocean View. We are with Kaiser and go to the clinic in Kona, and they've just recently opened a small clinic in Captain Cook. There is an ambulance which comes out of Pahala. The nearest emergency room and hospital are in Pahala.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 12:48 AM

8 posts, read 32,539 times
Default Dh

thank you so much for the information. I will check the elevation of the home we are going to look at.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:04 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
I'll echo several other veteran posters here and say... don't make ANY long term plans until you've spent some serious time there. Moving to Hawai'i IS like moving to another country, and Discovery Harbor is more remote a location than most people have any real experience with.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 PM

Default Looking into Hawaii

Thank you for sharing this great piece of advice.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:22 PM

13 posts, read 66,392 times
We are currently on the Big Island looking at property in Discovery Harbor. Discovery Harbor is in Lava Zone 6 which is great. Its true it is a small town but it also true its between two larger towns. One being Hilo and the other Kona. The drive maybe a little challenging at times but it really is not a problem for us as we will be retired. No real need to get to someplace at top speeds. The Vog from what we are told is not a problem due to the winds more of a concern according to a doctor we meet who works in Hilo for people with asthma who live in Kona. There is a great bakery that makes hawaiian breads and ships it all over the country. The bread is so good we had to buy a loaf just to mooch on. Back to the area we personally like the area do to the fact it does not have all the fast places to eat no busy life here. If you need a dose of the Arts there is Hilo or Kona. We have Kaiser insurance so we will need to visit Hilo or Kona for our check ups. And Costco is in Kona which we will visit as needed to stock up on the essentials of life. Much cheaper than most stores around. Gas is now at 4.35 a gallon right now but with not having to drive every day to work I can live with it.

We are keeping all of our grocery receipts this time to check the difference between Southern Ca to here. More and more are starting to see it as a year round residency the more of us old timers that move here the more services we will see. Year round temps in the 70s good for my bones and well being. Do not expect this area to be Newport Beach or Manhattan Beach as you will be very disappointed but if you are looking for a tropical island very laid back then this might be your place. This is our third trip here and if things work out for us it will be our home away from home.

PS look at the tax breaks if it does not change that you will receive.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decan51 View Post
We are currently on the Big Island looking at property in Discovery Harbor. Discovery Harbor is in Lava Zone 6 which is great. Its true it is a small town but it also true its between two larger towns. One being Hilo and the other Kona. The drive maybe a little challenging at times but it really is not a problem for us as we will be retired. No real need to get to someplace at top speeds.
Unless, of course, you're in an ambulance. That's the big concern for a lot of retirees. DH is an hour and a half from Hilo Hospital.

Quote:
If you need a dose of the Arts there is Hilo or Kona.
And don't forget Volcano, which is an arts colony. I attend some kind of concert or gallery showing or performance here almost every week. And it's only halfway to Hilo from there.

Quote:
Gas is now at 4.35 a gallon right now but with not having to drive every day to work I can live with it.
True, but it will keep getting worse, you can count on that. I'm personally planning for $5 a gallon by the end of the year.

Quote:
PS look at the tax breaks if it does not change that you will receive.
That's an iffy topic. I'd be very surprised if the current legislature does not start taxing pension income, because they are really running out of places to look for money to keep the state running. Social Security payments are the only thing off the table in the current discussions. And the Governor says if the legislature passes it, he will sign it.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
There is a hospital with an emergency room in Pahala, which is 20 minutes away. We have an excellent well-trained volunteer fire department right here in Discovery Harbour.

Interestingly, gas is cheaper in the South Point area than in Kona. Sometimes gas here is even cheaper than at Costco. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Decan51, I live in Discovery Harbour and would be happy to answer any of your questions about living here. Just send me a private email.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
There is a hospital with an emergency room in Pahala, which is 20 minutes away. We have an excellent well-trained volunteer fire department right here in Discovery Harbour.
Yes, Ka'u Hospital and Rural Health Clinic is probably as good as a "21 bed rural general hospital" can be. And they are currently looking to hire: GENERAL CARDIOLOGIST, GENERAL SURGERY, NEUROLOGIST, and ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY.

As I said earlier, Hilo Hospital is an hour and a half away. For some of us, honestly, that's a deal breaker.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 AM

13 posts, read 66,392 times
Open D thanks for your open opinions. I know that $5.00 a gallon is not out of the question for the mainland and here on the island. My brother just told me gas was 4.05 in Ca. and higher in the resort towns upward to 4.45 a gallon. So not much of a real difference there.

I heard on the plane over there is a bill to tax retirements. And if so I still have to wonder if it will be less than what my wife is giving up on her state retirement in Ca.

I really do not know anything about Volcano driven thru but never really paid much attention to what's happening there. I'll have to pay more attention next time to the area.

As far as wondering about our health I found out yesterday there is a clinic on the main street. Hopefully they can handle the light stuff and I suppose if a real serious problem arises they would helicopter you out. And there is an ambulance stationed in town.

If I do end up in Discovery Harbour which I hope happens I will plan my doctor visits in Kona and also visit Costco on the same day and enjoy my $1.50 hot dog and coke. I am sorry but the drive is a mute issue for me as I can spend 1 hour each day in traffic just waiting to go 20 miles on the frwy. The only reason the drive to Kona is slow is there is a 35 mile an hour speed zone that goes for miles.

Thank You Dreaming Of Hawaii I still have a few questions unanswered so please expect a few emails.

Last edited by decan51; 03-27-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Default Pahala Clinic

The more everyone shares the more my wife and I are learning from Quincy, Ca.

In emergencies is there helicopter service in DH and, can you become a member of life flight? In coastal northern CA and in the High Sierras, we belong to life flight services for an annual fee - you are covered for most transportation costs. Does this exist on the Big Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island