Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 05:44 AM

376 posts, read 490,122 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, after downloading Google Earth (neat program that is)-since there was a large dump of lava far away from the actual volcano (the 1960 one that hit the east coast of the big island) what that area looks like now?
Since the lava has been flowing, and there have been earthquakes, do you think there may be movement near Pahoa/Nanawale or any of the other Puna subdivisions? Why or why not?
Thanks for any opinion or facts you would like to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 11:52 AM

144 posts, read 735,838 times
Here is an article from Monday's Honolulu Star Bulletin.

The lava flow has taken a turn and they expect the flow to cut off the main road to Puna (if it keeps going the way it is now). They are thinking of rebuilding the Chain of Craters Road to provide access to Pahoa.

And yes, one of the reasons real estate is so affordable in the Puna area is because of the danger from lava flows.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:54 AM

Here is the County of HI website for lava flow information.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,696 times
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory Status Page Volcano Observatory Status Page

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/maps.html Maps

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/updat...w_070911_L.jpg (Large map-note the dark red areas where the expansion has been observed in the last few days.)

Check these links for updated information. The third link is to a map that shows the most recent activity.

Here are two recent articles from the local paper:

Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii (http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2007/09/03/local_news/local01.txt - broken link)

Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii (http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2007/09/02/local_news/local07.txt - broken link)

Julie, In the pictures I posted on the sticky thread on 7/27 (pg 3 of the thread, I think), there are a couple of shots from Kalapana. Let me know what area you were looking at specifically and I will see if I have other photos!

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 09-12-2007 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 09-12-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Cowgirl View Post
Here is an article from Monday's Honolulu Star Bulletin.

The lava flow has taken a turn and they expect the flow to cut off the main road to Puna (if it keeps going the way it is now). They are thinking of rebuilding the Chain of Craters Road to provide access to Pahoa.

And yes, one of the reasons real estate is so affordable in the Puna area is because of the danger from lava flows.
That is unbelievable. How can there only be one road? Why wouldn't they just build a bridge over the lava flow? Gosh this is worse than I thought. I had planned eventually working in Hilo and living in Pahoa.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Cowgirl View Post
Here is the County of HI website for lava flow information.
Just fyi the link doesn't work.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory Status Page Volcano Observatory Status Page

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/maps.html Maps

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/updat...w_070911_L.jpg (Large map-note the dark red areas where the expansion has been observed in the last few days.)

Check these links for updated information. The third link is to a map that shows the most recent activity.

Here are two recent articles from the local paper:

Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii (http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2007/09/03/local_news/local01.txt - broken link)

Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii (http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2007/09/02/local_news/local07.txt - broken link)

Julie, In the pictures I posted on the sticky thread on 7/27 (pg 3 of the thread, I think), there are a couple of shots from Kalapana. Let me know what area you were looking at specifically and I will see if I have other photos!
As my name suggests, I am worried about Nanawale Estates which is where my land is. I am worried about this potential commute. I don't understand why they wouldn't just build a bridge over the lava rather than making people drive almost 100 miles more. I don't understand why with everything going on, they don't build another road anyway. I guess that I am used to it here in AZ where the construction never ends. I am so worried for everyone in that area. I am wishing you all the best!!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
Just fyi the link doesn't work.
Sorry. Here's the link.

Kilauea Eruption Update

Old 09-12-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
As my name suggests, I am worried about Nanawale Estates which is where my land is. I am worried about this potential commute. I don't understand why they wouldn't just build a bridge over the lava rather than making people drive almost 100 miles more. I don't understand why with everything going on, they don't build another road anyway. I guess that I am used to it here in AZ where the construction never ends. I am so worried for everyone in that area. I am wishing you all the best!!
From the Star Bulletin map it looks like Nanawale Estates will be okay. But if you have to make it into Hilo it would be a heck of a commute.

The lava is probably too hot for them to build a bridge over it and the flow could be too wide.

All this might not even happen, BTW. They're just planning for the worst possible scenario.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 17,568 times
ive lived in pahoa hi and it anit no place to stay long.there are some nice people there but bussiness is just not good you work hard but there is just not enough people comming in to the pahoa town area and the rent you pay for run down bussiness space is just un realistic. the only people making money is the rouge landlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island