Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
The Na'alehu library has free wi-fi when open and it's 20 minutes away from OV.
Well, it's a few minutes longer by bus. But yes, that saves a half hour or so of transit time over the next best choices we've unearthed so far.

Unfortunately it's still going to take most of the day, and there's only one scheduled run per day each way that will work.

Ocean View to Na'alehu will be on the 10:25 am bus toward Pahala on the Ka'u to Kona route. Arrives 10:55 am.

Return will be via the 4:50 pm bus toward Ocean View on the Hilo to Ka'u route. Arrives 5:15 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Actually, the preferred method of travel for a lot of people in that area is hitchhiking. Gotta be faster than the bus.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Actually, the preferred method of travel for a lot of people in that area is hitchhiking. Gotta be faster than the bus.
Sure, but hitchhiking is not appropriate or desirable for everyone, and OP asked about the bus, so I obliged.

Reading between the lines I've made a guess about the OP's specific situation, which I've written on a small piece of paper that I signed and dated and folded up non-symmetrically and put in an old Altoids tin, which I have buried under a big package of frozen mixed vegetables in my freezer where nobody will tamper with it. Once the rest of the circumstances behind these questions have been revealed by the OP, I will pull out my prediction and post it here, whether I'm right or wrong.

What can I say, I've been watching a lot of Sherlock on TV...

Old 09-11-2013, 12:16 PM

406 posts, read 866,031 times
Here's a list - may or may not be up to date and accurate

free wi-fi Hawaii

Mickey

Old 09-11-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
Here's a list - may or may not be up to date and accurate
Mahalo for the good thought, but no, it is not up to date and not accurate. For example, I've found that B&B owners are generally not happy about people tapping in to their wi-fi unless they are registered guests.

Neither are any of the other lists I've found online. This is one of the small corners of life in which online forums like this might actually be the best source of information. Like finding out that the Na'alehu library has free wi-fi. That's a little nugget of gold, considering the distance between the next hotspots in either direction. As many times as I've been by there it just hadn't occurred to me, even when it would have been most useful to know.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,616 times
Thanks You to everyone who has kindly replied, in my absence.

The tip about the library is good to know. I know it seems silly to move to such a remote location when i can't drive, but at the this point in time there are only two things I have control of - sleeping inside and sleeping outside. "giggles" And the people who are kind enough to let me sleep inside their house are moving to Hawaii.

I am kind of money disabled and have autism. I'm trying to find a solution that will work for me though, so that one day I can stand on my and be independent. "crossing everything"

Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 PM

Welcome back. I hope that the move goes well for you and that we can be a useful resource for you in the future. Most of us here are pretty nice.

Earlier I said:
Quote:
Once the rest of the circumstances behind these questions have been revealed by the OP, I will pull out my prediction and post it here, whether I'm right or wrong.
My guess was that you are a young person, moving with your parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island