Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 AM

502 posts, read 985,913 times

Advertisements

Yes, I will try to help you get started realistically on Big Island Hawaii if you throw me your questions. I know how to do it reasonably cheap weather you want to buy a cheap piece of land or work in some organic farm somewhere to see if Hawaii is a match for you. AND NO, I am not a realtor nor will I try to sell you anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM

26 posts, read 45,542 times
Aloha Mangodog,
Thanks for taking on this question. Hopefully you haven't bitten off more than you can chew! But I'm sure this thread will be helpful. My husband & I are planning to retire to the Big Island Jan 2014. We will both be 59 @ that time. I am a retired RN and hubby will have 38 yrs "phone man". I lived in Ewa Beach for 3 years as military brat. LOVED Hawaii. Didn't leave the island the entire 3 yrs,never got rock fever. We would like to buy a home under 350K, within 20-30" of Hilo or Kona. Want to be active in community,fish,garden. Would appreciate advice on where we would best fit in. We are life-long Democrats,tolerant and sociable. Have lived 40 years in sunny Boise but can't take the cold winter and blasting hot summer anymore. All our family is here but expect to return 1-2x/yr as well as visits from them. Have only visited BI once but loved it seemed like a "tropical Idaho". We will be there for recon in April. I do know I don't want to live anywhere I have to have a stove to keep warm in winter but maybe I'm wrong. Surely you've seen enough people come and go that you can help. We do plan to rent a while to get the feel of things. A big mahalo!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
bduva, when you say "within 20-30" of Hilo or Kona", do you mean 20-30 minutes of Hilo or Kona?

I'm sure you can find plenty of places within your price range on either side. There have been lots of discussions on this forum about the pros and cons of both Hilo and Kona. I think the main thing to keep in mind about Hilo side is that it is wetter and you have to deal with coqui frogs. If you don't know coquis, then Google them, because if you are like most people you don't want to be living with them around.

I live half way in between Kona and Hilo, an hour and a half from both. We love it there, but it's probably too remote for you.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 PM

BDUVA........

So you have more spending power than you realize you have to buy a home. I would recommend you first google: cheap real estate in Hawaii, big island; get a feel for what is out there then spend a month in a cheap apt so you can save your money. Once you are there, talking to the locals, you will find that there are plenty of homes in the low range you found on the net and then probably even lower prices once you are there physically on the island. I would bet you could find your dream home - the one you would expect to pay $350.K (your budget), for between ($160. - 200.K) . Dont tell anyone you have $350.K in pocket to buy a home. Act like you are barely making ends meet. You will do very well. But I caution you to physically be in your target area for a month, and be in no hurry to sign. I once laughed at a price quote and it cost me plenty when the guy who was going to do work for me realized what I was thinking !!!

Last edited by mangodog; 10-06-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 02:37 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,939 times
Try alohaliving dot com its the online MLS for all islands

Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 PM

26 posts, read 45,542 times
Thanks all- We'd prefer to keep under 300k but don't want a fixer as that's all we've done to our house here for the last year. We're attracted to the "green" & slightly cooler temps of windward side. Don't want to be paying those outrageous electric bills.Don't mind warm rain as long as not gloomy for weeks at a time. I guess we could always drive to Waikoloa for sun. I'm not a big shopper but will need my "Costco fix" occasionally. Wondering if Laupahoehoe would be nice. Are there many "transplants" there? Much community activity? We just want to live simply and frugally. Like all of you we worked very hard to get what we have. Moving to Hawaii may not be the wisest financial choice but we've been cautious all our lives and it's time to take a leap of faith for the lifestyle we want for the rest of our lives.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Not a whole lot of community to happen in Laupahoehoe, although it is a really pretty place. Honokaa is a big enough town to have community things going on.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:40 PM

You have got to spend a month living cheaply, in small room if you must... Drive around and get a REAL look at what you are planning to do on paper. You may be pleasantly suprised or just suprised at what you see. A month with a small rental car and fuel, and small room for rent should not cost more than $3000. If you are enterprising and resourceful, you can do this. Hello ROOMATE SHARE - Craigslist.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:02 AM

4 posts, read 11,139 times
Hi Mangodog,

I know paradise requires hard work, careful planning and the most difficult obstacle to overcome is of course, a way to generate income stream for a non-retiree. Given the BI economic environment, starting a new business seems too risky and finding a job almost guarantees lesser pay for equivalent job when compared to mainland or no job.

I'm married, in mid thirties, and a general contractor. My wife is a banker. We don't have any kids. Our budget is 300K, both WISHING to be full time farmers. Ideal farm size is 20 acres or less in Puna subdivisions.

My question is:
Would it be possible to make a living just farming (excluding Kona Coffee Farm)? I am noticing many are farmers in Big Island, but I don't know whether they are all full time farmers or if they have additional income from outside jobs for support?

Excluding retirees, how are others able to sustain living in farming? Are people able to save or live there and have minimal or no financial progress?

Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Aloha Nesoi, and welcome to the City-Data Forum on the Big Island, aka Hawai'i County.

Is that Nesoi, as in "Goddess of the Island," or Nesoi, as in the cargo category for items "Not Elsewhere Specified or Indicated?"

I think additional information would be helpful to all of us who comment here.

Do you have any experience as a farmer, or would you be stepping into the unknown and starting from scratch? What is it about farming that makes it more attractive to both you and your wife than what you have been doing for a living up until now? And what is it about farming in Hawai'i, in particular, and even more particularly farming in Puna District that appeals to you, as opposed to say... farming in Arkansas, or in Oregon? Have you ever been to Hawai'i? Puna?

Since you've ruled out coffee already, what are you thinking of growing? "Farming" is a broad occupational category, with several major divisions that I can think of, each requiring a different skill set and temperament, so what do you have in mind? How many years are you prepared to run at a loss in order to get the farm established and learn about the business? And have you, as the TOS here suggests, spent time using the Search function to comb through the forum archives for the wealth of information already posted?

Looking forward to hearing more about your unique dream...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island