Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
I've always thought the BI needed someone with cheap rental cars, like a fleet of beaters with the owner on call to come pick you up if it breaks down and have another one to replace it while they fix yours. I have no idea how the logistics of that would work but I know there is a shortage of affordable options here.
Well, that's the business model for Bundy Rent-A-Wrecks, that were a well-known feature in LA when i lived there many years ago, and which now operate in many states. And having used them several times, i can tell you that they were not wrecks, just cars that were a little more used than the major rental companies' fleets.

The local equivalent is the used car dealers who rent cars off their lots in Hilo and Kona. Mostly they seem oriented around kama'aina business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 03:06 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
I've been able to get well-running-but-slightly-bruised weekly rentals by calling ahead to the Kona airport car rental vendors, and asking for a kama'aina car rental. It would not work for a tourist's needs, but does if your family car needs temporary replacement.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM

502 posts, read 985,913 times
Suprised to hear you can still rent less than pristine vehicles... I noticed this trend in the States; all the local governments are bent on creating the appearance of modernism, green, upscale, not third world Economies. ( no offense to Cuba )((I would like to visit it someday))(((it still is primitive in a good way)))((((the local food would be tempting too.))))

Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
I noticed this trend in the States

I'm betting it has a lot more to do with the extreme shortage of quality used vehicles on the mainland. Between the Cash For Clunkers program and many devastating storms all over the mainland that destroyed hundreds of thousands of vehicles, used car prices have risen to the point where for many people, it's more economically sound to go ahead and buy a new car with its new car warranty. It's simple Economics 101...supply and demand.

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-07-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Mangodog, where did you get the idea that local governments can somehow control the quality of cars being rented by rental car agencies? I used to work for local government ON THE MAINLAND, and that's a first for me.

CyberCity, thanks for the tip about kama'aina rates at the rental companies.

FallenIntoGreatness, are you still in the Laker house?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,664 times
The major factor against rent-a-wrecks is connecting with the customer. Before the internet, the national chains had lock on the travel agents, and after the internet, they had a lock on advertizing and being offered on travel sites. Tourists go with what's familiar and where they have loyalty cards. Nowadays, you can find a few local renters on the islands, quality varies widely, and also changes over time. You can also find a few private car rentals on craigslist--again, your experience may vary enormously. Personally, I think with the rise of AirBnB, we're going to see a rise in peer-to-peer car rentals. There are already websites to facilitate this, though I don't think it's a wise idea, just as AirBnB is not a wise idea.

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-05-2012 at 07:44 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
There are already websites to facilitate this, though I don't think it's a wise idea, just as AirBnB is not a wise idea.
Wondering, what do you dislike about AirBnB, as compared to other websites/businesses where the homeowner is renting to strangers on a short-term-basis?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 AM

502 posts, read 985,913 times
You are all wet ! Government, local and other have a vested interest in regulating the improved emission standards of car rentals and taxis in Hawaii as well as the states. You got to be Blind or sheltered not to see the incringement of local and national gov demanding through Code, the upward standards of everything. (cars, trucks, housing.) That is why for the most part all the homes - hawaiian islands, dont look like third world nation's crackerboxes; (not that I have anything against low rent homes.) The more regulations on acceptable transportation and housing in this country, the tax revenue comes in. Also some great Statesman I know of said -"Follow the Money trail."

Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM

219 posts, read 497,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
FallenIntoGreatness, are you still in the Laker house?
Yes, and if you've seen the vehicles parked there.... everyone knows my home AND how I get to work. That 3/4 bed is legal, barely but the head is cracked on my car and the truck had a little accident (a week after we purchased it) so until I can find a long bed to replace it or get a new cylinder head that's how it is.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Wondering, what do you dislike about AirBnB, as compared to other websites/businesses where the homeowner is renting to strangers on a short-term-basis?
Do you mean v.r.b.o? It doesn't really matter as they are all heading the same way. Whatever becomes popular is where the advertisers will go. AirBnB works great when you have a few people renting out a spare bedroom to considerate people. It doesn't work when it becomes popular and full of regular hotels (or illegal hotels) advertising their rooms (just like car dealers on craigslist). There have already been cases of landlords in NYC renting out appartments short term on AirBnB, which isn't always legal and takes away units from the local rental pool. Why did they do it on AirBnB and not before on v.r.b.o? Probably because AirBnB revealed and sort of created that market. Also, I suppose AirBnB works where it's legal (except if it disrupts the neighbors), but in parts of Hawaii, it is illegal to do transient (less than 30 day) rentals. AirBnB facilitates that illegal use of residential housing. Sure, if someone lives there gets a paid guest once a month, that's not much of a disturbence to the neighboorhood. But what if they rent out the entire unit and have a guest almost every week? That can really annoy the neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island