Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:15 PM

252 posts, read 659,836 times

Advertisements

What or where can you find the new laws on safety inspection for your vehicle? Our vehicle did not pass as he said the water in radiator was a bit low??????????????????

Since when does that have to do with safety? We brought it home and checked and the water level is right up there where it should be.

Does any one have a link to the safey inspection laws I searched the internet but could not find one from the state direct and the ones I did find like from Lex Brodies on theirs says nothing about checking the coolant system. We did not bring to Lex Brodies we brought to Pauls Repair in Pahoa its almost like they were checking things to bring in more business or something.

Very frustrating as we always keep our vehicle maintained, looks nice, runs and sound good. Its hard to believe some of the vehicles that I see on the road passed inspections as they look like they are put together with duck tape and ours didn't pass? We have brought it to Pauls for years for the inspection this year its different I guess to new laws, so would like a copy of the inspection laws so I can see what they are all supposed to check and we can be prepared next time.

Very frustrating to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 02:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
I'd say you were scammed, and I'd recommend reporting it to HiDOT. The cooling system and fluid level in the radiator are NOT on the list of items to be checked on this SAFETY INSPECTION!

Here's the checklist from Lex Brodie's...

http://www.lexbrodies.com/Files/Docu...inspection.pdf

Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 PM

Yeah I seen Lex Brodies... and yeah says nothing about coolant levels. Well we shall see hubby just now ran back up there to have them check again. Well there was one other thing I guess the license plate light bulb was out. That I can see although that is not listed either but it makes sense to have that working.

We will see when hubby gets back if they pass it now since we got a new bulb (didn't touch the fluid level) as it did not need any coolant. Am curious to see what transpires and if the water level is an issue most certainly will report to HiDOT.

Thing is we have been bringing to Pauls in Pahoa for years and this year I guess a new guy there doing it with a big long list of things to check and taking photos of the vehicle etc. I can see taking photos as this would aid in making it not so easy for your safety sticker to get ripped off and someone else applying on their vehicle.

Much thanks!

Old 05-12-2014, 03:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
What or where can you find the new laws on safety inspection for your vehicle? Our vehicle did not pass as he said the water in radiator was a bit low??????????????????
Quite odd, I've never opened the hood of my car for a safety check.

Yelp is a good source on where to go.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah I seen Lex Brodies... and yeah says nothing about coolant levels. Well we shall see hubby just now ran back up there to have them check again. Well there was one other thing I guess the license plate light bulb was out. That I can see although that is not listed either but it makes sense to have that working.
Oh, that's different. So you got a NO PASS for a burned out bulb, which has always been the case. Any burned out bulb fails the test. And in addition they noted low coolant, as a customer service item. That's completely different.

Quote:
Thing is we have been bringing to Pauls in Pahoa for years and this year I guess a new guy there doing it with a big long list of things to check and taking photos of the vehicle etc. I can see taking photos as this would aid in making it not so easy for your safety sticker to get ripped off and someone else applying on their vehicle.
The photos are to crack down on inspectors passing cars with illegal modifications and window tints. If they pass a car with tires protruding outside the body, that's going to be a problem for them, because the photos will show it. But if they pass a car with normal tires, and it later gets a ticket for protruding tires, the photos show it was not the inspector's fault, and it's all on owner.

The sticker has your vehicle ID on it. If someone rips it off and they get stopped the number will show the cops that sticker doesn't belong on that vehicle.

Last edited by OpenD; 05-12-2014 at 03:36 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Quite odd, I've never opened the hood of my car for a safety check.
It's hard to do the following check without opening the hood. Or... since November... to take a picture...

Quote:
FUEL & INTAKE SYSTEM
• Any component of the system is missing, improperly mounted, not of an approved material, leaks, cracked, broken, cut, or improperly repaired.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Well, I haven't had to do one in almost 2 years - so I guess it changed.....

Old 05-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Yeah, the big obvious changes in November were that they changed from paper checklists to iPads, which also take photos, are used to print out the stickers, and also transmit the data to Honolulu via the internet. Some of the checklist definitions were also updated. And the fee was raised $5.

But coolant level is not on the new checklist.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:06 PM

yeah it passed so it must have been the bulb as when he brought it back they never mentioned again about the water level- Hubby said initally they opened the hood and checked the belts, battery cables & coolant levels and then went through the lights, brakes etc.

Maybe that was not part of the actual inspection (under hood check) or something and just a customer service check.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:26 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Maybe that was not part of the actual inspection (under hood check) or something and just a customer service check.
Maybe they were just being 'nice', and trying to insure that you had no unforeseen problems down the road. It does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: