Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,849 times

Advertisements

I see homes with land in kau is pretty inexpensive. Is this because close to volcano? do they have electricity phones and dsl kinda stuff or is this so rural that its not there?
things like this aren't always shown on listings.
thanks
i'm originally from Oahu but never traveled out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 03:15 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkla View Post
I see homes with land in kau is pretty inexpensive. Is this because close to volcano? do they have electricity phones and dsl kinda stuff or is this so rural that its not there?
things like this aren't always shown on listings.
thanks
i'm originally from Oahu but never traveled out.
It is cheap for a reason.
Hot, dry, windy (most of it)
No jobs to speak of
No real shopping, etc. places to get stuff from.
It is a long way from the places that do have that sort of stuff.
Some areas have electric/phone and some DSL for internet. Some don't.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:27 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Ka'u is a huge, rural district that extends to the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park on the east end. The Puna District is actually closer to the volcano and properties there have a higher chance of getting covered in lava than properties in Ka'u.

I think that one reason that properties are inexpensive in Ka'u is that it is really far from anything. There are very few jobs, so most people who choose to work have to commute to either Hilo or Kona, both which are an hour and a half away. Some people take the bus to the resorts north of Kona, which are even further.

I live in Discovery Harbour, which is one of the few subdivisions in Ka'u that has county water. Most people in Ka'u have to rely on catchment, and rainwater is not always abundant. That's why the free water taps in Ocean View, Waiohinu, and Na'alehu always have people lined up to fill their water containers. DH has electricity, phones, and internet throughout our subdivision. Other subdivisions close by, such as Mark Twain and Green Sands, also have full utilities, although the water taps are limited there and not everyone will be able to get county water in the future.

You are probably looking at listings in Ocean View, aka Hawaiian Ocean View Estates (HOVE) and Hawaiian Ocean View Ranchos. None of those properties have county water, and only the lower 1/3 of HOVE has electricity and phone lines. I'm not sure if all of the lots in the Ranchos have electricity, but I doubt it. The lots in HOVE are one acre and the lots in the Ranchos are three acres. Although there are some scattered areas in HOVE with trees, both subdivisions are mostly just black lava.

If you enjoy living off the grid and far away from amenities, then come check out Ka'u. We love the rural life

Old 07-02-2014, 06:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Ka'u is a huge, rural district that extends to the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park on the east end. The Puna District is actually closer to the volcano and properties there have a higher chance of getting covered in lava than properties in Ka'u.
Exactly. Proximity to Kilauea isn't nearly as much a risk factor as altitude and topography, because lava flows downward from the volcano. That's why Kalapana (below) got burned out, while Volcano Village (above) has never had a problem.

Here's a site where you can find a lava zone map that shows the relative hazard in different areas.

Lava Flow Hazard Zones on the Island of Hawai`i

Notice that Discovery Harbor and Na'alehu, where DofH lives are merely Zone 6, because they are not downhill of any eruptions of lava for thousands of years. South Kona District, on the leeward side of the island are considered at higher risk, because of recent activity (1970s) in that area from Mauna Loa.

Quote:
I think that one reason that properties are inexpensive in Ka'u is that it is really far from anything. There are very few jobs, so most people who choose to work have to commute to either Hilo or Kona, both which are an hour and a half away. Some people take the bus to the resorts north of Kona, which are even further.
Although I personally cannot imagine spending a couple hours a day, each way, just to get to an entry level job at a resort in the northwest corner of the island, there are a number of people who do it... from Puna, too... which just highlights the shortage of local jobs.

Quote:
If you enjoy living off the grid and far away from amenities, then come check out Ka'u. We love the rural life
Yes, as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks! I've known people who love living out in the Mojave Desert, too.

BTW, you can find factual data about Ka'u on the City Data Profile:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Kau-Hawaii.html

Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Big plus, lots and lots of sunshine. Best for people who seek the self-sufficient lifestyle.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
In addition to what the other posters listed, the vog is a huge issue. Plus the lack of accessible beaches without too many rocks. If you have a family, schools there are pitiful. Or very, very long bus rides away for the kids. Few police officers, one poorly equipped small hospital in Pahala. With the new short cut of Saddle Road traffic overall got a bit lighter. But that means also less people stop for gas, food, tourist stuff.

So all these issues attract a certain batch of people or don't allow others who live there to move away. Think Californian aging hippie and survivalist retiree couple on one side. Former plantation worker families and their descendants living as 10+ people in a dilapidated house on the other side. And many Marshallese and Micronesians in between.

Anybody moving there will have to fit in, deal with this rather unique social constellation. Wide open spaces are giving you reprieve from it.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
The earthquakes should be something to consider.

On 11/29/1975 at 14:47:40, a magnitude 7.2 (6.0 MB, 7.1 MS, 7.2 UK, 7.2 MS, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 43.2 miles away from the city center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths)

On 8/21/1951 at 10:57:00, a magnitude 6.9 (6.9 UK, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 50.5 miles away from Kau center

On 11/16/1983 at 16:13:00, a magnitude 6.7 (6.4 MB, 6.7 MS, 6.7 MW) earthquake occurred 26.1 miles away from the city center, causing $6,000,000 total damage

On 10/15/2006 at 17:07:49, a magnitude 6.7 (6.2 MB, 6.6 MS, 6.7 MW, Depth: 24.2 mi) earthquake occurred 56.9 miles away from the city center

On 6/26/1989 at 03:27:03, a magnitude 6.2 (5.8 MB, 6.1 MS, 6.2 MS, 6.2 MD) earthquake occurred 35.6 miles away from Kau center, destroying 5 buildings

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kau-Hawaii.html

Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,849 times
well I love the rural. I need land for my business with no restrictions. and the internet, a really good connection and fast speed. water and electricity. don't mind traveling to store etc... do the 3 acre subdivisions you were talking about have restrictions on anything. animals or growing.
also I really appreciate the detailed responses. your all great...i'll ck out some of the other areas named too.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The earthquakes should be something to consider.
Southern California is far worse than Ka'u, and earthquakes are far more frequent there.

To put the emphases where I think they belong...

On 11/29/1975 at 14:47:40, a magnitude 7.2 (6.0 MB, 7.1 MS, 7.2 UK, 7.2 MS, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 43.2 miles away from the city center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths)

On 8/21/1951 at 10:57:00, a magnitude 6.9 (6.9 UK, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 50.5 miles away from Kau center

On 11/16/1983 at 16:13:00, a magnitude 6.7 (6.4 MB, 6.7 MS, 6.7 MW) earthquake occurred 26.1 miles away from the city center, causing $6,000,000 total damage

On 10/15/2006 at 17:07:49, a magnitude 6.7 (6.2 MB, 6.6 MS, 6.7 MW, Depth: 24.2 mi) earthquake occurred 56.9 miles away from the city center

On 6/26/1989 at 03:27:03, a magnitude 6.2 (5.8 MB, 6.1 MS, 6.2 MS, 6.2 MD) earthquake occurred 35.6 miles away from Kau center, destroying 5 buildings

Last edited by OpenD; 07-02-2014 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkla View Post
well I love the rural. I need land for my business with no restrictions.
No question, the land in Ka'u is affordable, compared to most of the state. And some of it is quite nice. Pahala and Na'alehu are both cute small towns, pretty sleepy, with not a lot happening. I've talked to people in Ka'u who grow macadamias and coffee. Phenomenally good coffee, btw. A lot of the private land along the east flank is former sugar cane plantation so you do have to be careful of the arsenic and mercury pollution in the ground in much of the region. If you want to grow anything be sure to get comprehensive soil analysis.

And sort out the water requirement for whatever is your intention. Much of the old agriculture in the area, especially sugar cane, depended on irrigation from redirected streams and river water, rather than on rainfall, and you may not have access to that water.

Vog? Not as bad as Kona side, in my experience. I know that sounds strange, since Kilauea is so much closer to Pahala than to Captain Cook, for example, but the volcanic emissions come out of the crater at 3,800' altitude on a heated upward plume, so much of it stays high as it heads south and passes over the lower altitudes of most homes in Ka'u. Plus, it hasn't had time to cook in the sunlight yet, which is what turns it into vog. That's why afternoons in Kona can get bad. But the straight emissions from the volcano can be bad enough, when the wind is blowing it your way.

Quote:
and the internet, a really good connection and fast speed. water and electricity.
I'm afraid that rules out much of Ka'u. But then again, it also rules out much of Puna. And a big chunk of the rest of the island too. Two out of three is generally considered good here, and high speed internet seems the most elusive, then county water.

Quote:
don't mind traveling to store etc...
Easy to say, but when it's over an hour to a supermarket or pharmacy, and gas is maybe $4.50/gal, then a lot of people do start to mind the drive after a while.

Quote:
do the 3 acre subdivisions you were talking about have restrictions on anything. animals or growing.
Some do, some don't, entirely based on HOA rules. You have to check them individually. Oh, yeah, county says you can't have more than 10 dogs without a permit.

Last edited by OpenD; 07-02-2014 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island