Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:26 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons to have a lanai on your house is to cool off the air with a shaded area before it goes inside. There's also the aesthetic value of transitioning from the outside to the inside of the home. Hawaii folks spend probably more time outside than many places on the mainland and a halfway place between in and out is really nice.

Ideally, a lanai is sort of a living room without walls, but they show up in a lot of different varieties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 11:51 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddietude View Post
Ok, then what is YOUR definition of a "lanai". I was under the impression it referred to all of the above you listed...
In a nutshell, a "lānai" is a covered, outdoor area that is appurtenant to a dwelling. When the term "lānai" made the transition to the English language, it lost the kahakō (macron) over the initial "a" and became "lanai." Unfortunately, it also lost some shades of meaning and is often used interchangeably with "porch," "veranda," "balcony," and "patio.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:02 PM

130 posts, read 152,516 times
We have a neighbor a couple of doors down with an octagon house with a wrap around lānai. I think for a tiny house it's a good addition. Our cottage is under 600 sq. ft. and I think that might be the best upgrade we could add in terms of bang for your buck.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:33 AM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
Part of my research into eventually moving there is whether we will be able to (financially) build a house or will buy existing. My ideal house would have a wrap around lanai and I was somewhat surprised to see so few existing houses or new house plans with that feature.

It made me wonder why there weren't. Could it be about mosquitoes/bugs and the difficulty to screen in a wrap around, maybe a cost issue or some other reason?

Looking at the local places that supply house plans I see only 2 models with the wrap around lanai. When I asked for pricing info from Honsador for the model in the pic below I was surprised to see the materials cost was very high - much higher than some other models with very little lanai space but more interior square footage. Maybe it's the cost of the lumber for the decking or increased roof area... If that's the case maybe that's why there aren't many of these style houses around?
Attached Thumbnails
Building an off grid tiny house on the Hilo side of Hawaii, Advice needed-img_8178.png  

Old 03-14-2017, 10:02 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Generally folks will want a carport or garage attached to the house at least on one side. Frequently bedrooms won't have a lanai alongside of them, especially bedrooms that don't have an outside door. Usually a lanai will be on the back of the house if only one side has a lanai. Right now I'm drawing up a house with a lanai on three sides, although it's three separate lanai. The two big ones are attached at one corner the other is the entry lanai.

There are a lot of reasons why folks wouldn't want a lanai entirely circling their house, but usually they want one near the living room or the just use the carport as a lanai.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:45 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times
I find any lanai that is too small (less than a table and chairs) to be useless. If you can't sit out there, or hang laundry, you don't use it and it is wasted (also just more wood to rot and need fixing). In my opinion, it is much better to have a 10x20 (or more) lanai that you will truly use.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
Part of my research into eventually moving there is whether we will be able to (financially) build a house or will buy existing. My ideal house would have a wrap around lanai and I was somewhat surprised to see so few existing houses or new house plans with that feature.

It made me wonder why there weren't. Could it be about mosquitoes/bugs and the difficulty to screen in a wrap around, maybe a cost issue or some other reason?
For the Hilo side of the Big Island, a wraparound, screened lānai might be a bit of a hassle to maintain. Oftentimes, there's mold, mildew, and gecko poop to contend with and it's a perfect place for coqui frogs to hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
Looking at the local places that supply house plans I see only 2 models with the wrap around lanai. When I asked for pricing info from Honsador for the model in the pic below I was surprised to see the materials cost was very high - much higher than some other models with very little lanai space but more interior square footage. Maybe it's the cost of the lumber for the decking or increased roof area... If that's the case maybe that's why there aren't many of these style houses around?
The model in that pic is Honsador's ʻOneki model. Ironically, they call their wraparound lānai a "deck" and point out that ʻoneki is the Hawaiian language transliteration for "deck."
http://www.honsador.com/Runtime/Uplo...0hilo%20BR.pdf

HPM's "Honokaʻa" model has a wraparound lānai that incorporates a carport into the design…
Honoka

Mahana Home's "Kunewa" model has a wraparound lānai…
Kunewa Prefab Home Kit | Mahana Homes Hawaii

And, there are some "Hale-8" and "Hale-12" models by Multifacetted Homes with a wraparound lānai…
The Hale-8
The Hale-12

Old 03-15-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Generally folks will want a carport or garage attached to the house at least on one side. Frequently bedrooms won't have a lanai alongside of them, especially bedrooms that don't have an outside door. Usually a lanai will be on the back of the house if only one side has a lanai. Right now I'm drawing up a house with a lanai on three sides, although it's three separate lanai. The two big ones are attached at one corner the other is the entry lanai.
An "entry lanai" is a "porch." It's interesting how many folks nowadays use "lanai" as a catch-all term when "porch," "patio," "deck," etc. usually provides a better description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There are a lot of reasons why folks wouldn't want a lanai entirely circling their house, but usually they want one near the living room or the just use the carport as a lanai.
"Carport?" Nah, that's just a "vehicular lanai"

Old 03-15-2017, 04:48 PM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
The 'Oneki has a carport option - see attached pic - although it would not be much of a view from that section of lanai, deck, (insert other words here)!

When I saw these plans, but before I saw the materials cost, I thought I would have the lanai/deck widened all the way around, rather than be so narrow along the sides. I would replace a guest room window with a slider or french doors so they could access the lanai/deck and have seating areas adjacent to their room. It seems that would be more useful than a narrow lanai/deck.

But that is all just day dreaming and not a set plan based on the reality of location. As pointed out above, there could be issues with mold, rot and other headaches. When or if the time comes a realistic plan will be made.
Attached Thumbnails
Building an off grid tiny house on the Hilo side of Hawaii, Advice needed-img_8182.jpg  

Old 03-15-2017, 06:38 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
And, there are some "Hale-8" and "Hale-12" models by Multifacetted Homes with a wraparound lānai…
The Hale-8
The Hale-12
We were very interested in the Multifaceted Homes when we were originally looking to build in 2004. However, I thought that they were out of business. When you mentioned them, I looked up their website. In January of 2015 they posted the following: "We are currently working on some projects in the South Pacific and will be out of production for approximately one year."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: