Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:19 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times

Advertisements

Get the Permit. Someone will eventually turn you in and you'll be forced to get one anyway, plus fines. And get fire insurance. I know some folks who built their place and it burnt down to a pile of ash in under an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 12:26 AM

128 posts, read 264,675 times
Thank you to those who sent us private messages of encouragement. I really do appreciate the advice some of you have offered. Please know that we are not trying to build anything that is an eye sore for our neighbors. We are people that takes pride in our home. We want to make our place beautiful and want to leave as small of a footprint as possible on the earth. We want to grow our own food and live a simple, healthier life style. I'm not trying to build a shack, but a small tiny house that we can call home for a few years.

Please keep the design ideas coming along. We haven't yet settled on a design but we want something that is going to be appealing, yet easy and low cost to build.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmontijo View Post
Thank you to those who sent us private messages of encouragement. I really do appreciate the advice some of you have offered. Please know that we are not trying to build anything that is an eye sore for our neighbors. We are people that takes pride in our home. We want to make our place beautiful and want to leave as small of a footprint as possible on the earth. We want to grow our own food and live a simple, healthier life style. I'm not trying to build a shack, but a small tiny house that we can call home for a few years.

Please keep the design ideas coming along. We haven't yet settled on a design but we want something that is going to be appealing, yet easy and low cost to build.
Get your goddamn permit.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:18 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Get the Permit. Someone will eventually turn you in and you'll be forced to get one anyway, plus fines. And get fire insurance. I know some folks who built their place and it burnt down to a pile of ash in under an hour.
Seriously. I bet these folks love bernie sanders and hate deregulation of societies laws when it comes to big corporations. But them? Nah, they dont need to follow no stinkin laws cuz they are groovy hippie types who love the earth. The law shouldnt apply to people who are "cool" and "hip". Same hypocrisy is happening in bay area after the ghost ship fire. I guess laws only appy to big corps and muggles....

Old 01-27-2017, 09:36 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Seriously, you guys suggesting he get a permit should come up with some good reasons for doing so, not ridiculous lies.

Lies are just more likely to turn him away from doing it.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:53 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Seriously, you guys suggesting he get a permit should come up with some good reasons for doing so, not ridiculous lies.
I never suggested he get a permit but I will chime in here anyway. We got a permit for a building we just put up for 2 reasons - Insurance and Resell value. Insurance (mine at least) will replace a destroyed building as per county filings. And if I am going to invest a bunch of $$ into a building, I damn well want to get my money out of it when I sell it. Selling unpermitted structures is hard. Banks won't loan on them for one thing.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

Lies are just more likely to turn him away from doing it.
It's been stated over and over and over again on these forums. The permit is necessary to avoid the hassles when your neighbors turn you in

Old 01-27-2017, 09:29 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
I will give him a reason to permit: me. Or specifically people like me.

I am not proud about it, I did not enjoy it, but I felt I had no other choice but to report a neighbor to the county. I feel bad for the amount of effort they put into their cabin and the headaches they will now face.
You will always face that prospect if you go sans permit.

Ps, please, if you disagree with what I did, you would need to know the situation to judge my actions. I try to live my life in the Aloha spirit with a live-and-let-live mentality, but I can only be pushed so far.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:49 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Yikes! All I can say is it must have been pretty bad to do that to a neighbor.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:11 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Yikes! All I can say is it must have been pretty bad to do that to a neighbor.

Just one of the many facets of the 'Aloha' spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: