Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 11:48 PM

435 posts, read 175,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
BTW, I don't think the Mac nut sitch is the make or break for the ongoing process of making America great again, which is well-underway and reaping great rewards on a national basis.
lol, based on what? A minimal tax break that increased interest rates on our debt and deficits that our future generations will have to pay tenfold? The reason why the US will fail is this short term focus to winning the next election that both parties have. Trumpian politics are the politics of the 1950s-80s.

Whether Trump fans like it or not, we are a global economy and the future is in brainpower, not manufacturing or fossil fuels. Our strength for so many years was that we were the center of it all, people wanted to come here for education, business, research, etc. Now, high caliber foreign students are seeking other options, they don't want to be here. Bullying doesn't work anymore and countries resent it. They have other options and are starting to explore them. This is exactly the absolute worst time for this nonsense that the Trump administration is pushing. To be the best, you have to attract the best. We are telling people from all over that they are not welcome. It is not good.

It amazes me that people think that a $700 tax break is worth going back to trillion dollar deficits. In peace time no less. Maybe it is just me, but when my personal economy is growing, I reorganize to pay down debt, I don't look to double or triple it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 02:10 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
lol, based on what? A minimal tax break that increased interest rates on our debt and deficits that our future generations will have to pay tenfold? The reason why the US will fail is this short term focus to winning the next election that both parties have. Trumpian politics are the politics of the 1950s-80s.

Whether Trump fans like it or not, we are a global economy and the future is in brainpower, not manufacturing or fossil fuels. Our strength for so many years was that we were the center of it all, people wanted to come here for education, business, research, etc. Now, high caliber foreign students are seeking other options, they don't want to be here. Bullying doesn't work anymore and countries resent it. They have other options and are starting to explore them. This is exactly the absolute worst time for this nonsense that the Trump administration is pushing. To be the best, you have to attract the best. We are telling people from all over that they are not welcome. It is not good.

It amazes me that people think that a $700 tax break is worth going back to trillion dollar deficits. In peace time no less. Maybe it is just me, but when my personal economy is growing, I reorganize to pay down debt, I don't look to double or triple it
Making America Great Again. Get used to it, bub.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:17 AM

More like - Setting America Back At A Crucial Time

Old 05-29-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
More like - Setting America Back At A Crucial Time
It may have escaped your attention (seems like you've missed just about everything judging by your post), but this is the Big Island Forum under the Hawaii Forum.

You may want to take your gibberish to the Politics..... forum where that kind of babble is expressed by all sorts of left-wing crackpots.

JMHO.

Bye

Old 05-29-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Here's the thing with macnuts: In Australia they can be harvested mechanically by having a tractor shaking them off into a net surrounding the trunk of the tree. Do that here in Hawaii and the whole frigging tree comes out of the ground. Hence we need pickers who bend down again and again and again. Forget about finding whites to do that job. Can't get Hispanics because they are in construction, pick coffee, or left because of Trump & ICE. So leaves you with Marshallese. They are not reliable because they only come when the welfare check runs out.

And even if you get the nuts picked, the state allows machine harvested imported Aussie macnuts to be labeled 'Hawaiian' and yours are more expensive even when breaking even. So much for the "making America great again" B.S.

Back to the processing: Coops for farmers are a great idea, but it needs folks who run the coop. A location, book keeping, machines, workers, etc. And folks to chip in. When the gentlemen farmers insist on buying their very own expensive equipment their money in the coop pot is missing. The poor farmers don't have time to organize or comprehend the market dynamics-they gotta work 7 days a week to battle nature and basic family needs.

Perverted as it sounds, a farmer is better off buying Aussie nuts and selling them as his own 'Hawaiian' mac nuts to gullible tourists on the market. Tourists at least can attach a rugged face to it versus the ABC Stores and Walmart anonymity.
Amazing bit of "logic" there. The State (virtual one-party (Democrat) rule) allows Australian nuts to be labeled "Hawaiian", and you somehow lay that at the doorstep of a Republican President.

You can NOT make that sort of BS up, folks.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:37 PM

Lol, you make a political statement and then complain about people talking politics. Sounds about right. Self Awareness is not a strong suit of the MAGA crowd. Also, pointing out that Trump's policies are bad is not liberal, it is rational. Conservatives used to be for fiscal responsibility, competition and free markets, are those liberal things now? On that note, I will apologize to the OP for responding to you, and that will be my last post on the matter

Last edited by J_Quayle_Higgins_III; 05-29-2018 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-29-2018, 02:30 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
It may have escaped your attention (seems like you've missed just about everything judging by your post), but this is the Big Island Forum under the Hawaii Forum.

You may want to take your gibberish to the Politics..... forum where that kind of babble is expressed by all sorts of RIGHT-wing crackpots.

JMHO.

Bye
fixed it for you...and heed your own advice, take it to the Politics forum.

buh-bye.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Lol, you make a political statement and then complain about people talking politics. Sounds about right. Self Awareness is not a strong suit of the MAGA crowd. Also, pointing out that Trump's policies are bad is not liberal, it is rational. Conservatives used to be for fiscal responsibility, competition and free markets, are those liberal things now? On that note, I will apologize for the OP for responding to you, and that will be my last post on the matter
I responded to a comment about Mac Nuts and its affect on Big Island Growers. Your comments were gratuitous and non-related to the Big Island. Huge difference, but I am not surprised it goes over your head like a satellite in geo-synchronous orbit.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
fixed it for you...and heed your own advice, take it to the Politics forum.

buh-bye.
Please keep your filthy mitts off of my posts. Pervert your own, not mine, bub.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:38 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,456 times
It seems that the OPs main goal is not to make money selling coffee beans. Rather, just a hobby farm. It seems like a pretty expensive venture for just a hobby farm. Even if you really like to drink coffee, how much coffee can you actually consume each month?

Whenever I drove through the Captain Cook area, which was only a few times, it was always very voggy. The VOG made my throat sore, so I tried to avoid visiting that part of the island. I’m not sure how much of a problem VOG is south of Kona. If VOG is typically a daily occurrence, you might not want to live there, unless you can tolerate VOG. Maybe I was unlucky, and it happened to be voggy every one of the few times I drove through the Captain Cook area. The road south of Kona was pretty poor in my opinion, due to all the twisting and turns. Not really much you could do to improve that, it is what it is... I wouldn’t want to drive that road on a frequent basis.

From what the OP has stated, I have them impression that they might not have ever visited the Big Island. Perhaps they have visited they have visited the Big Island, but that doesn’t come across in the posts that has actually occurred.

I think you have to separate the issues about what you want for a lifestyle and what is a practical and most probable way to make money. It’s one thing to have a small hobby farm for personal fun and satisfaction. It’s something completely different to investment your life savings into a money making or money losing venture. There are a lot of other much easier ways to make money.

Since the last presidential election, things have improved in the US considerably on many accounts. You can look at your 401K balance, very low unemployment, hundreds of “Help Wanted” signs in most businesses, improved VA health care, the recent Right to Try bill that’s very important for people to have some hope in their lives. The mainstream media is filled with absolute hate. Trying to find fault with anything, even if things are obviously improving. Personally, my net worth is much higher in the past 18 months. All I hear are hateful people that don’t like the results, and just cannot accept the result of the last presidential election. If you objectively look at the economy and quality of life in the US, it has improved for most people in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island