Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 05:16 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankjake View Post
Where are you guys getting these prices? We had 3 vehicles shipped with Matson. They were hauled by the shipping company from our home on the main land to Los Angeles. It took roughly two weeks until they arrived in HILO and we were charged $800 per vehicle. If there would happen to be any damage the shippers take responsibility. You’re going to pay more for a new vehicle from one of the local dealers. The used cars from dealers are extremely expensive, way over priced. If and when I decide to buy a new vehicle, I’ll buy it on the mainland and pay the $800 to ship it and save a few thousand bucks.
I had a vehicle shipped from Seattle 17 years ago and it was more than that-about $900 driven by me to their dock. Still have that vehicle, BTW. When did you do it?

Current price is $1500 from West Coast on Matson. And, OP is not shipping from West Coast, they'd be shipping from a foreign country in Caribbean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 05:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Where are you guys getting these prices? We had 3 vehicles shipped with Matson. They were hauled by the shipping company from our home on the main land to Los Angeles. It took roughly two weeks until they arrived in HILO and we were charged $800 per vehicle.
St. Croix is not exactly close to Los Angeles. You've got to get the car from St. Croix to the East Coast. The East Coast to the West Coast. West Coast to Hawaii. I can't imagine it can be done for less $3,000 - unless it is a really special Jeep, in my opinion doesn't make sense to ship. Sell it. Buy something else on island.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

Current price is $1500 from West Coast on Matson. And, OP is not shipping from West Coast, they'd be shipping from a foreign country in Caribbean.
Well, St. Croix is in the US Virgin Islands - so I don't know the rules if there are customs fees or allowances or not.

I do know you go thru customs when arriving from Guam to Honolulu and there are customs limits. USVI may have an exception like Puerto Rico

Old 11-21-2019, 06:46 PM

24 posts, read 17,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I had a vehicle shipped from Seattle 17 years ago and it was more than that-about $900 driven by me to their dock. Still have that vehicle, BTW. When did you do it?

1 year ago. We got prices as much as $3,000 per vehicle. It pays to check around. A private company often gets heavy discounts and can beat the bigs guys prices. Same with moving household items.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:49 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Agreed, sell the Jeep. I can't even imagine how much it would cost to get a vehicle shipped from the VI. We sold two cars we really would have liked to get here because the cost of shipping from Alaska was over twice as high as shipping from the next state down and you can actually see Hawaii from Alaska. (Wait, is that Palin said? Disregard if I'm confused...)

Old 11-22-2019, 10:06 PM

679 posts, read 877,108 times
Yeah, it would have to be a pretty special Jeep to ship almost halfway round the world. Please let us know the quotes you get. Then carefully weigh them against the actual worth of your vehicle.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:06 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Quote:
Where are you guys getting these prices? We had 3 vehicles shipped with Matson. They were hauled by the shipping company from our home on the main land to Los Angeles. It took roughly two weeks until they arrived in HILO and we were charged $800 per vehicle. If there would happen to be any damage the shippers take responsibility. You’re going to pay more for a new vehicle from one of the local dealers. The used cars from dealers are extremely expensive, way over priced. If and when I decide to buy a new vehicle, I’ll buy it on the mainland and pay the $800 to ship it and save a few thousand bucks.
covered transport the entire way costs more. I'm guessing the guy was from east coast or something. $800-1000 is shipping from CA to HI, not in a container.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:07 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Pasha's RORO is probably the cheapest

Old 11-24-2019, 07:38 PM

60 posts, read 63,459 times
St. Croix is in the U.S Virgin Islands so there should be no customs. For shipping cars from the mainland, and/or back to the mainland, Jim the Kona Car Guy can ship it cheaper than Matson because he gets a discount for shipping over 100 cars/year. I heard he picks the car up in Hilo or Kawaihae for you and delivers it to your door. Not sure if that's still true, but you can check by calling or emailing him: Jim McCain, 808-649-0891, jim@konacontainerguy.com , konacarguy@msn.com , Kona Container / Car Guy - Shipping Containers, Cars, and Goods to Hawaii He can also move your household goods cheaper that other companies, and last I heard, he will deliver the shipment to your door and unpack it.

I don't know about St. Croix, probably not, but you can ask.

My experience with vehicles, especially Jeeps, is that they are worth about $1,000 more on the Big Island than most anywhere on the Mainland. So it pays to ship them. Again, I don't know about St. Croix.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:16 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Since the acquisition of the Virgin Islands by the U.S. from Denmark [in 1916], by treaty, customs fees are assessed using local law.

When traveling to one of the U.S. insular possessions, such as the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa or Guam, you are required to clear Customs and Border Protection and are entitled to a $1,600 duty-free exemption, as long as you are there for 48 hours or more. I've never done it but I understand that leaving USVI you clear CBP at departure not upon arrival at your US destination and yes this applies to US citizens.

So while you are not required to have a US Passport to go to USVI if you go there and back directly, you will have to go through customs.

American Samoa is different still, you cannot visit without a US passport, however you will not need a visa. You are also required to have a return ticket purchased before your arrival. You will also have to deal with their customs laws and our own before you return. AS has their own constitution and immigration laws.

Traveling to US territories is different than traveling between the states.

Even the Apollo astronauts had to go through it- the moon is neither another country nor part of the USA.

Last edited by terracore; 11-24-2019 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island