Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 11:52 PM

60 posts, read 63,532 times

Advertisements

I didn't know you could mention another forum on this forum. Kona Web, of which I am a long-time member, will take down any message that mentions another forum; even the (or maybe especially the) Puna Web.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 11:49 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times
That's odd censorship. Reminds me of the little kid who would take their marbles and go home.

Old 11-29-2019, 02:16 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
Well, that's Bob and Shirley's decision. Konaweb is still going strong after almost 20 years, so I guess they are doing something right.

Old 11-30-2019, 12:43 AM

The Kona Web is a great resource for people living in, or thinking of moving to, West Hawaii. Tons of links and information as well as the great forum. I just remember once I suggested someone more interested in Puna check out the Puna Web, and my post was removed. I can't remember if I had a discussion with Kona Bob about it; it was many years ago. Things could have changed by now. It seems the City Data Forum is to huge go be monitored by anything other than an algorithm searching for links to other websites. Kona Bob and Shirley monitor their forum personally all day long.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:18 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
OP, if its a new Jeep and you are really set on driving a new Jeep, check out the cost of shipping the thing and compared to price to buy a similar vehicle in Hawaii (with taxes, fees, island price, etc.). That should help you arrive at an answer for the Jeep.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:59 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvieron View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies. My husband said that I shouldn't have mentioned the Jeep. He is bringing his 'special" Jeep lol, but we will sell our other car. Yes, I was looking for a more central location in Kona for us to rent a place for 4 to 6 weeks.

Since you'll have transportation (see, I'm not using the J-word!), you'd be able to rent a place somewhere on the Kona side without worrying about our limited bus transportation.

Folks complain about the traffic heading out of Kona towards Southpoint in the evenings. There's also traffic along the lower highway heading into Kona from the Waimea side in the after work hours. I have no idea where they're all coming from unless it's the resort workers along the coast? But, there's apparently traffic in and out of Kona at that time of day. At least, on the lower highway.

The Palisades area is close to Kailua-Kona and yet can be accessed by the upper road as well as the lower road. Holualoa could be a nice area since it's above Kailua-Kona and you could get in and out of Kailua easier than coming in from the Southpoint side. There's only one road between Kailua-Kona and Southpoint which makes for a bit of a traffic jam during certain times of the day.

Where will you want to be going once you live on the island? Where ever that is, find a house as close as possible? We used to live ten to fifteen minutes out of town and then when we moved directly into town, things were so much easier, it's amazing. We went to see the 5:00 movie tonight and left the house at 5:00 pm. We missed the previews for the upcoming movies but got to the movie theater, got tickets and popcorn before the actual movie even started. ($6 for movies and popcorn is now up to $3, but it's popped fresh with real melted butter on it.) But that's the difference between living outside of town and being very centrally located in a small town that's actually walkable. Unfortunately, there's not many areas of Kailua-Kona that are actually walkable, are there?

It's amazing how much the exact location of a house can make on someone's life.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:21 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Unfortunately, there's not many areas of Kailua-Kona that are actually walkable, are there?.
Nope, and that sucks. Ali'i drive is about the best you can do.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:23 PM

Actually, there are many areas where one can walk in Kailua. There's the famous Walua Walking Trail and of course Alii Drive as you mentioned; then there's the circular walking path at the Old Airport beach. It's also a community garden so you can admire people botanical masterpieces as you walk. You can walk in any of the neighborhoods with sidewalks such as Kilohana/Komohana. Many of the neighborhoods have so little traffic that you can walk in the street if they don't have sidewalks. If you want lots of exercise and want to be where it's cool, there is Kaloko Drive. It's starts at 1,500' and goes up to almost 5,000'.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:06 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypritikin View Post
Actually, there are many areas where one can walk in Kailua. There's the famous Walua Walking Trail and of course Alii Drive as you mentioned; then there's the circular walking path at the Old Airport beach. It's also a community garden so you can admire people botanical masterpieces as you walk. You can walk in any of the neighborhoods with sidewalks such as Kilohana/Komohana. Many of the neighborhoods have so little traffic that you can walk in the street if they don't have sidewalks. If you want lots of exercise and want to be where it's cool, there is Kaloko Drive. It's starts at 1,500' and goes up to almost 5,000'.
I think the comment about walkability was more about being able to easily walk to acess all necessities of daily life. Kailua is a bit spread out to easily be able to walk to everything you need from most neighborhoods.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:20 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
From our house, we can walk to the post office, grocery store, hardware store, theater, a variety of restaurants & shops, library, farmer's market, vegetable market, swimming pool, dentist, emergency room and university extension. Couple of banks and gas stations, the park & tennis courts, too. Churches of all variety. I've probably forgot a buncha stuff, but if the car broke, we'd pretty much be able to go everywhere we needed to go and get the supplies we need without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island