Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,861 times

Advertisements

How many single family dwellings are allowed on a A1a one acre lot in Ocean View?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 12:39 PM

112 posts, read 96,811 times
Permitted dwellings or a combo of tents, shacks, cardboard houses, etc?

Old 03-20-2020, 01:28 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
If you are talking about permitted structures, call the County zoning office and ask. Don't try emailing; you'll never get a response.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:24 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
One

Probably also a guest house of less than 500 square feet and with no kitchen.

If you have farm income of some type, you may be able to get an additional farm dwelling for workers, but HOVE is all lava rock, not sure what you're gonna farm there.

Otherwise, ask Planning, they're the ones who can tell you for certain.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:01 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
One

Probably also a guest house of less than 500 square feet and with no kitchen.

If you have farm income of some type, you may be able to get an additional farm dwelling for workers, but HOVE is all lava rock, not sure what you're gonna farm there.

Otherwise, ask Planning, they're the ones who can tell you for certain.
There are actually a number of small farms in OV. Greenhouses producing everything from lettuce and greens to "medicine" as well as dragon fruit farms, small Mac-nut orchards etc...

I have had great success growing just about anything (except corn, kept getting blown flat once about 5'). I have coffee trees that produce even though I don't supplement water them. If the will is there, you can farm in OV.
On a related note, the company I work for has bee-farms (40+ hives equals a farm) from South Point to Honoka'a. We have two big bee farms in OV and they do really well. Which means that all those bees have no problem finding enough forage (nectar and pollen) from all the various plants located in OV. So, definitely not all lava rock.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:45 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Sounds like HOVE has improved a lot in the past few decades since my friends lived there. Did they ever get that County water tank installed?

The income requirements to allow a second 'farm' dwelling on a piece of property are pretty high, at least, if I remember correctly, it's been awhile since I looked it up. It would be pretty hard to meet those requirements on a one acre lot, even one which had intensive agriculture. Although, perhaps if it was some sort of lucrative crop, then they could meet the requirements.

But, for the OP, it's most likely just one dwelling with a guest house of limited size with no kitchen and then after proving farm income, perhaps a second dwelling for farm workers but the second dwelling wouldn't be automatic.

However, we're just a forum, ask Planning for valid advice.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

If you have farm income of some type, you may be able to get an additional farm dwelling for workers

Is one acre even viable to "farm" and have income let alone add a dwelling for farm workers.

What could you grow on one acre that would legitimately grow enough to have a viable income other than a hobby?

Old 03-21-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
There are actually a number of small farms in OV. Greenhouses producing everything from lettuce and greens to "medicine" as well as dragon fruit farms, small Mac-nut orchards etc...

I have had great success growing just about anything (except corn, kept getting blown flat once about 5'). I have coffee trees that produce even though I don't supplement water them. If the will is there, you can farm in OV.
On a related note, the company I work for has bee-farms (40+ hives equals a farm) from South Point to Honoka'a. We have two big bee farms in OV and they do really well. Which means that all those bees have no problem finding enough forage (nectar and pollen) from all the various plants located in OV. So, definitely not all lava rock.
Grassyknoll, how much coffee are you growing? I have five producing trees, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the parchment off. Doing it by hand/foot has been laborious. My "crop" is too small for the coffee mill or any commercial establishment to help.

Regarding bees, it looks like my neighbor's house (which sits empty most of the year) has a swarm. Do you know if someone will come get the bees?

Old 03-21-2020, 10:31 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
[quote=Dreaming of Hawaii;57629112]Grassyknoll, how much coffee are you growing? I have five producing trees, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the parchment off. Doing it by hand/foot has been laborious. My "crop" is too small for the coffee mill or any commercial establishment to help.

Regarding bees, it looks like my neighbor's house (which sits empty most of the year) has a swarm. Do you know if someone will come get the bees?[/QUOTE]

I currently only have three trees. I don't harvest them, they were just integrates into my landscaping to see how they would do. Yes, hand processing coffee is quite a bit of work and I have no suggestion for easy removal of parchment.

I may have someone who would come capture the swarm depending on accessibility and homeowner consent. Though chances are, unless the swarm has been there for a few weeks, it is only resting and will move on once it finds a more suitable home.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
[QUOTE

I may have someone who would come capture the swarm depending on accessibility and homeowner consent. Though chances are, unless the swarm has been there for a few weeks, it is only resting and will move on once it finds a more suitable home.
I'll keep an eye on them and call you if they are still around. The house is vacant, but I know the owners and can get their consent if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island