Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 07:38 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times

Advertisements

Here's a nice film of the 1960 Kapoho eruption:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BsIm7iodIs

Why people keep trying to move there, I do not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 11:26 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

My goal is to own a waterfront property near tropical or sub-tropical zones. In US there aren't a lot of choices. Hawaii is my top consideration. And in Hawaii, only Puna is affordable to me.

Prior to the lava flow, the cheapest oceanfront deal I could find was 1 acre of land for $150K (land only, and very remote and hard to access, practically in a jungle). If it were around $100K I would've bought it. Now in the new reality, even if an oceanfront lot is covered by lava, or access cut off, as long as the price is reasonable reflecting the current condition I'd still buy it. I get satisfaction from owning such a property. If I have to take a boat to get there I will (not unlike I have to take a plane to get to Hawaii).

Since the eruption I had turned my attention to Philippines. Philippines is a real GEM... The American leaders who gave up Philippines to independence was pretty retarded I must say... Would've been nice (and very doable) to take a few islands in exchange for letting them go independent. Then the US would have so REAL NICE beach properties.

As it is now Philippines properties have their own unique challenges for foreign investors. The big one is govt does not allow direct foreign ownership of the land, just the house is OK. So I am still trying to figure it out. In the mean time I am keeping an eye on the developments in Hawaii.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:08 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
What about Samoa, Guam, etc.? They're U.S. Territories and should be easier than an entirely foreign country.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:56 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

Awesome video - thanks for sharing.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:55 PM

"The American leaders who gave up Philippines to independence was pretty retarded I must say... Would've been nice (and very doable) to take a few islands in exchange for letting them go independent. Then the US would have so REAL NICE beach properties."

There have been recent efforts to make the Philippines a US state but none of them have gained any serious traction. Usually they revolve around some idea that their current government is an illegal occupation and they should be allowed to petition for statehood. It was more common when there were people who remembered being part of the USA fondly, but most of those people are gone now. It is noteworthy that their Independence Day celebrates their independence from Spain, not the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/51st_state#Philippines

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq...ate-annexation

Until recently Filipinos were allowed to join the US Navy:

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=43042

Old 05-08-2020, 05:36 PM

65 posts, read 69,219 times
About "lava property," there are two lots (as of the date of this posting) in Leilani for sale, right at the edge of the flow. Front of the lots are still fully accessible by paved road, and electrical lines are still there. From the street, all you see is rain forest. 2/3's of the way back, there's the edge of the 2018 flow.

For the daring, it'd be a interesting place to plop a house.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:40 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What about Samoa, Guam, etc.? They're U.S. Territories and should be easier than an entirely foreign country.
I looked into all those places, even Puerto Rico as well. Guam and PR are fairly urbanized and prices are not cheap. American Samoa is a bit too far out of everything for me.

Central America have some cheaper oceanfront properties, but security is a concern.

I have come across a Florida property that is bay-front and leads into Gulf of Mexico; 1 acre land with a mobile home on it, it's a steal at just 150K. But I am weary of having to deal with the potential of hurricane repairs when I don't live there.

Puna, perhaps because of its raw state and the lava risk, turns out to have some of the most affordable warm weather oceanfront properties!

Old 05-09-2020, 03:54 PM

"If I have to take a boat to get there I will "

Most of the "oceanfront" lots in Puna (Big island in general) are dangerous high rocky cliffs with no water access. The ones that do have any sort of beach or safe water access are probably going to be 7 or 8 figures.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobanion View Post
About "lava property," there are two lots (as of the date of this posting) in Leilani for sale, right at the edge of the flow. Front of the lots are still fully accessible by paved road, and electrical lines are still there. From the street, all you see is rain forest. 2/3's of the way back, there's the edge of the 2018 flow.

For the daring, it'd be a interesting place to plop a house.

The sugar plantations used to have small houses that could be picked up and moved every few years to follow the cane crop. If I were to do anything with Leilani, it would be with a moveable house. HOWEVER, Leilani has CC&Rs which would probably prohibit such a solution.

Actually, buying those lots and making them into a parking lot for the folks who want to visit the lava may be a cash flow opportunity. Your neighbors would probably howl, though.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I looked into all those places, even Puerto Rico as well. Guam and PR are fairly urbanized and prices are not cheap. American Samoa is a bit too far out of everything for me.

Central America have some cheaper oceanfront properties, but security is a concern.

I have come across a Florida property that is bay-front and leads into Gulf of Mexico; 1 acre land with a mobile home on it, it's a steal at just 150K. But I am weary of having to deal with the potential of hurricane repairs when I don't live there.

Puna, perhaps because of its raw state and the lava risk, turns out to have some of the most affordable warm weather oceanfront properties!

Plus, Puna has Punatics, that may have something to do with the prices as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island