Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 04:04 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"If I have to take a boat to get there I will "

Most of the "oceanfront" lots in Puna (Big island in general) are dangerous high rocky cliffs with no water access. The ones that do have any sort of beach or safe water access are probably going to be 7 or 8 figures.

Yup, another reason why the 'ocean front' lots are affordable. There's no ocean access. That pretty much keeps our town affordable and we're way on the other side of Hilo. If there was a big white sandy beach here we'd not be able to afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 03:19 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Plus, Puna has Punatics, that may have something to do with the prices as well.
Haha I leave the joke to true locals. I will just concur somewhat by sharing what I saw when I drove through Government Beach Road. About 5 miles of nothing but the below jungle scene...it was pretty spooky for me (and I am the adventurous of the family).

What's the latest on Kapoho area eruption now?  Any afterthoughts?-puna.jpg

What's the latest on Kapoho area eruption now?  Any afterthoughts?-hawaii-1.jpg

Old 05-10-2020, 03:36 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yup, another reason why the 'ocean front' lots are affordable. There's no ocean access. That pretty much keeps our town affordable and we're way on the other side of Hilo. If there was a big white sandy beach here we'd not be able to afford it.
Look at rocky shore as “entry-level" oceanfront properties. True, it's not as kids friendly and convenient as sand beaches, but at least it offers the direct ocean view, and if you truly want to you can move some rocks to create a path to climb down. Then, on calm ocean days you can climb down to enter the water.

Rocky shore in CA has an advantage over sand shore in that there will is more fish that we can catch for eating, because there are more places to hide. In Hawaii I did see a lot of fish around sand beaches, but most are tropical fish it seems; I did not see a lot of food fish.

This one property currently on the market is very much doable for me in terms of the oceanfrontage. I can easily access the water. And in fact there are some tide pools, which essentially is a swimming pool at low tide. That is a nice set up.

The only thing about this property is the spookiness of the place currently (if entirely developed it would be a different story); and state development laws makes it very discouraging to develop the place. It may be fully covered by lava before it is fully developed. If the price were at around 100K instead of the 190K I would consider buying it.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/G...94418074_zpid/

Old 05-11-2020, 01:45 PM

Nope, the ocean is not accessible in most of our area (Hamakua coast) except via rappelling. We have thirty to sixty foot cliffs, not just rocky shores. We'd be thrilled if it were just rocky shores. We do have great ocean views since we're on a hillside and we don't worry about lava. But, we can't reach the ocean except in a very few spots.

But, you're looking over at Wa'a Wa'a in Puna. That's in Lava Zone Zero, IMHO. Although last time the lava turned about a mile up from there and headed the other direction so Wa'a Wa'a got missed. However, you can reach the ocean in that area. I may even have swam at that exact lot, the rocks look very similar.

One of the difficulties of that area is the disparity between the 'haves' and the 'have nots'. Due to the lower costs of land and houses in that area, you have loads of 'have nots', which can create a higher level of thefts and such.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:01 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
The other issue is that the beaches are public property. You would constantly have people in your "back yard" and inviting all that entails.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:08 AM

Now there's a bunch of earthquakes around Lo'ihi, which is the underwater volcano about 3,000 feet down. It's supposed to be the next island in the chain, but it's gonna be awhile before it gets above the surface. Give or take 10,000 years? Maybe more? I forget, but the experts have an estimate and it is not any time soon. However, if the lava exits at Lo'ihi, that may take the pressure off the rest of the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island