Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 06:30 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnat View Post
Either I didn't notice it before or it's a new feature, but airbnb has a tab for monthly rentals. That is exactly what I wanted since need 3-6 months before buying and didn't want to deal with utilities and such until it's permanent. I'm super excited about my rental. Host has a lot of reviews and we had a nice chat before booking.

I searched various property mgmt sites, and they seemed to have more "regular" longer-term rentals. Just couldn't find what I was looking for. Gave airbnb another try, and voila, there were monthly rentals.

Good luck!
That is what we did. Found a nice long term rental through Airbnb. I think as long as the rental agreement is 30 days or longer it’s legal now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 08:17 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
Nice. Please keep us updated how your move goes!

Old 06-13-2020, 01:23 PM

181 posts, read 176,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
FWIW, most folks call them the 'Hilo' side and the 'Kona' side. East and West don't mean much around here since we live on a round island.

Houses here are smaller than their mainland counterparts and folks generally have less stuff. There's loads of stuff already here, so unless it's small and sentimental, just replace it when you get here.

If you don't have a P.O.Box yet, you can send your stuff via U.S. Mail to:

your name,
General Delivery
post office of your choice, Hawaii
zipcode.

Haul as much as possible on the airplane with you, some of them allow extra luggage for a fee.
Only the Naalehu post office offers general delivery. The ocean view post office does not.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Do you know if the Oceanview post office is a contract post office or not? I'm thinking maybe the contract post offices don't have the full services of an official post office?

Moving is a great time to clear out all the extra 'stuff' that seems to accumulate around folks. Seems it's about time for us to move again so we can clear out all this choke junk we get cluttering up our space. I'm thinking we should build a new house with loads of closets, we keep getting these old houses (currently, it's a 1952 house) and apparently back then folks had less stuffs. The 1911 house had zero closets. The 1952 houses have very small and awkward closets. The 1974 house had lots more closets.

Not that the OP is going to have to worry about the amount of closets in their rental, though, since they will have cleared out a lot of excess stuff before moving. At least, one would expect so, however frequently folks will ship over a 40' container of stuff from the mainland and then no matter how many closets they get, most times there won't be room for it all.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:51 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
According to the USPS web site the Oceanview post office is a real post office.

The ones that I'm aware of that offer "General Delivery" are the ones where they do not provide home delivery and/or have a waiting list for a PO Box.

There is a UPS store opening in Pahoa at the new mall, so there is another option for mail delivery coming to that area. My PO Box is over $112/year and the parcel pickup service there is beyond horrible. I'll be very interested in exploring a different option.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:29 PM

112 posts, read 96,952 times
Default Honaunua PO Has General Delivery

Honaunau 96726 has General Delivery options. All packages sent to OV addresses (that don't have mail delivery) end up at Honaunau's Post Office.

Easy to ship to yourself for Pick Up at Honaunau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island