Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 04:34 PM

13 posts, read 10,988 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

Our home in California closes escrow on 6/22, then we plan to move to the Kona/Captain Cook area.

I could use some advice with the logistics.

We have several pets, and are going to need to rent someplace first. I'm having difficulty finding pet friendly rentals.

I also need to decide on a carrier for bringing over our stuff Matson could do it, and I have a quote, but they won't store it until we're ready for it. Do any movers offer storage, ideally where we'd have access to it.

It's just my wife and I coming, and we have a housemate who is joining us once we find a place to buy. If anyone on CL knows of a property coming available, by all means, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 05:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paindude View Post
Aloha,

Our home in California closes escrow on 6/22, then we plan to move to the Kona/Captain Cook area.

I could use some advice with the logistics.

We have several pets, and are going to need to rent someplace first. I'm having difficulty finding pet friendly rentals.

I also need to decide on a carrier for bringing over our stuff Matson could do it, and I have a quote, but they won't store it until we're ready for it. Do any movers offer storage, ideally where we'd have access to it.

It's just my wife and I coming, and we have a housemate who is joining us once we find a place to buy. If anyone on CL knows of a property coming available, by all means, please let me know!
If I were in your situation, I would begin contacting rental owners/managers even if their ads say "no pets".
I don't know if rentals have started to empty out on the BI yet but they will as the CARES money dries up. That may not be until Fall.
Informed owners know that is where the market is headed and may be ready to make exceptions to their rules.

How many pets do you have and what kind are they? It may make a difference. If you have no luck, do you have someone trustworthy who could care for the pets in California until you are settled here?

Old 06-08-2020, 06:16 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
OP didn't mention what kind of pets they have but hopefully they understand that pets require planning for their import months before they plan on bringing them. We brought parrots and a dog, and the dog was easier to import than the parrots were.

Being a landlord on Hawaii island is complicated because landlords have few rights under the law and the county police are "not allowed" to assist with evictions, so the process is expensive and time consuming, requiring hiring Maui police to come perform the procedure, a process around $10k with travel, per diem, and overtime. That was before the COVID moratorium on evictions. There are pet-friendly landlords (my friend was one of them) but it will be especially hard on the West side.

A glimmer of hope is that the county cracked down on vacation rentals before the tourism dried up and gutted the market anyway, so a lot of VRBO and AIRB&B operators are getting into the longer-term rental market for the first time.

When we moved here the container storage fees at the port were ridiculously high. We wound up storing it while it was en route in Honolulu for a fraction of the cost. It might be cheaper to store your stuff where you are and have it shipped when you are ready for it.

I don't know anybody who does container storage on the west side other than at the port. There is a place near Hilo that does it, and I think they let you access it during their business hours: https://www.bigislandcontainer.com/ When I was working with them they didn't really do email, probably better to call them. Realize that if you are not storing at the port you'll be paying to get it trucked to a storage yard (maybe $400) and paying to store it there, then later paying to get it trucked to wherever you want it delivered, plus potentially rental charge on the container itself.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:34 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Aloha,

I could use some advice with the logistics...

Bring your laptops, phones and a few clothes and leave the rest behind. Well, you asked.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Bring your laptops, phones and a few clothes and leave the rest behind. Well, you asked.
Agreed. Within the first few years we wound up giving or throwing away almost everything we brought with us. If I were to do it all over again it would have been luggage, carry-on, and maybe a LCL pallet or two.

One smart thing we did before we moved here was the last trip we took we got a PO Box. So the day before we left Alaska we had an address to mail some things to that were neither able to fit in luggage nor could wait uncertain time for container to arrive.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:48 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
I moved to Maui 6 years ago with 2 suitcases and a couple of carry-ons and I brought too much.
I sold or gave a way everything else in California. Do yourself a favor and don't haul furniture or other stuff over here. You will regret it.
Read up on suggestions for moving overseas. For example, don't pack towels. Their cost is negligible.
I brought two pairs of long pants and one windbreaker. I've never used them in Hawaii and carry them only when I travel.
For the price of shipping a container of "stuff" ($5-10k), you could buy new "stuff" here instead.

Moving animals here is a pretty big procedure. Hopefully you have investigated that already.

Best of luck!

Old 06-09-2020, 12:21 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
FWIW, most folks call them the 'Hilo' side and the 'Kona' side. East and West don't mean much around here since we live on a round island.

Houses here are smaller than their mainland counterparts and folks generally have less stuff. There's loads of stuff already here, so unless it's small and sentimental, just replace it when you get here.

If you don't have a P.O.Box yet, you can send your stuff via U.S. Mail to:

your name,
General Delivery
post office of your choice, Hawaii
zipcode.

Haul as much as possible on the airplane with you, some of them allow extra luggage for a fee.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Maybe Hawaii is different, but not all post offices offer general delivery, it is recommended you contact the office first to make sure they participate.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-General-Delivery

Old 06-10-2020, 11:59 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times
Kona Trans will haul and store your container. Not sure how accessable it is during storage, but you can call and ask

Old 06-11-2020, 05:15 PM

52 posts, read 36,849 times
Quote:
Aloha,

Either I didn't notice it before or it's a new feature, but airbnb has a tab for monthly rentals. That is exactly what I wanted since need 3-6 months before buying and didn't want to deal with utilities and such until it's permanent. I'm super excited about my rental. Host has a lot of reviews and we had a nice chat before booking.

I searched various property mgmt sites, and they seemed to have more "regular" longer-term rentals. Just couldn't find what I was looking for. Gave airbnb another try, and voila, there were monthly rentals.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island