Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 03:46 PM

189 posts, read 189,079 times

Advertisements

When we built a home in Hilo in 1998, our home was completed in 4 months. Our contractor has already ordered roofing material and other materials so they’ll be here when he needs them. And you’re right about things taking a while. For example, if the weather had prevented the pouring of our foundation, our contractor said we would have had to wait for another 2 months before we could get any concrete. This is why I said we hope to be in by Christmas, praying and keeping our fingers crossed. He orders materials based on his estimation where he’ll be during the various stages of construction. When I mentioned starting on the framing next day, for example, the workers are out there setting up the materials, etc., so when the framers get there, everything is set up and ready to go when they arrive. Our contractor is very well organized. He has had to turn down people who want him to build for them. He does not advertise his business. He is kept busy just by word of mouth. We were very lucky to get him. He’s a friend of my SIL. If we don’t get in by Christmas, we know it’s not lack of effort by the contractor. He never promises, but he tries his best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 12:40 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau Time View Post
Getting her foot in the door is the first step. Once they get to know her and see her work performance, they’ll find a way to make her full-time. Right now COVID-19 is making everything difficult for everyone.

We finally got our building permit, and the foundation on our home was done yesterday. We’re doing a lot of praying and crossing our fingers to be in our home for Christmas.
I bet the stress is pretty high on that. Honestly, I’m not sure we would have been able to deal with building. We seem to be in a quiet area and really like it. This house is completely renovated.

Definitely, she gets her foot in the door and they get to know her and whatnot, she’ll land a full time position. She is really good at what she does.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:06 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Finally we are no longer renters (6 years) and get to fix the crap that breaks. We were renting at the bottom of Nanawale for a couple months and it was real nice there imo. Nanawale gets a bad rap, but we had no problems and very quiet. Our landlord was the best and we have become friends. We made friends with a couple neighbors there too, but glad we now own a little piece of paradise. We like the fact of mail delivery, water without catchment, and paved roads. We are also a mile away from our first Hawaii friends.

Of course it wasn’t not the original plan, but I am working full time here. Being I’m working full time, I applied to Hawaii PD.
Good for you.

Curious, why didn't you apply to Hawaii PD before you were working full time?

Old 08-17-2020, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Good for you.

Curious, why didn't you apply to Hawaii PD before you were working full time?
I did. I take the test on the 27th. Will see what happens.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Best of luck to you. With your experience, I’m sure you’ll score high.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:22 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Book em.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Best of luck to you. With your experience, I’m sure you’ll score high.
I’ve taken plenty of these kinds of civil service tests. I’ve scored poorly and I’ve scores the highest 98%. It’s a crapshoot.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I’ve taken plenty of these kinds of civil service tests. I’ve scored poorly and I’ve scores the highest 98%. It’s a crapshoot.
In that case, best of luck to you.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:24 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
"However, with all the hotels shut down, construction crews should be able to find workers."

A lot of the big-project construction workers were being flown here from Honolulu on Monday and back home on Fridays. With the quarantine I don't know if that is possible. I don't know how this might affect home building, but know people in the industry who had problems finding workers pre-covid.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:28 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Congratulations! Hope you get the job.
Second that. Puna needs good (and more) cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: