Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2020, 07:16 PM

189 posts, read 190,057 times

Advertisements

Well, we hope to be in our new home for Christmas. Our contractor is doing his best to make that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 11:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,928,674 times
Yelp is often a good indicator of which moving companies to consider - the reviews are worth reading.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:56 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,051,580 times
Ask your new neighbors, there's frequently someone in the neighborhood who can be hired to move things around. When living in rural areas, most everything is done 'locally' since travel can take up a lot of time. You want someone in your area so when you have a small project, you'll be able to call them and they won't have to drive a half hour to get there. Starting out with unloading a container is a good time to find folks in your area who are workers.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:15 PM

This is weird. Only one line has posted. I don’t know what happened to the rest of my posting.

Primarily I was looking for info to get our household goods unloaded from a PODS container on to a truck and from the truck unloaded into the house. On the mainland they would have small businesses like “Two Guys and a Truck,” etc.

Thanks for the two replies.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,928,674 times
You check on craigslist under Labor/hauling/moving - for instance, I see a post, Big Island General Laborers.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:50 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,051,580 times
FWIW, you can rent trucks from UHaul and such places. They'd probably have ramps and hand trucks as well. Then all you'd need is to find some folks to help move heavy objects instead of having to find folks to move heavy objects that also have a truck.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:02 PM

38 posts, read 42,996 times
Between California, Hawaii, and back to California, I’ve loaded and unloaded 5 20’ containers. Pretty much by myself. It takes about 2 days for a person to load or unload a tightly packed container. Your best bet is a 20’ ramp, although a big stakebed rental truck with a lift gate works well too. For heavy stuff, you need appropriate dollies and/or extra help.
Good luck.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
FWIW, you can rent trucks from UHaul and such places. They'd probably have ramps and hand trucks as well. Then all you'd need is to find some folks to help move heavy objects instead of having to find folks to move heavy objects that also have a truck.
That’s what we plan to do. That’s what we did in Florida. In fact, they did such a great job, my husband gave them extra money. We found them on Facebook. When we moved to Florida, we were also very pleased, but they refused the tip, so we called their company and told the company how happy we were with their service.

We have people lined up, but I always like to have a Plan B if Plan A fails. I could check out FB and Craig’s List, but I prefer to get recommendations since we would be letting strangers into our home.

Mahalo.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:06 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,394,726 times
I hired a 5-man crew who were participating in a bonded city make-work program. Check out charities in your area. They took items to the dump, refurbished my furniture for re-sale, moved my household to an apartment, and cleaned my previous home top to bottom. No fuss. $600. Plus I was helping out people who had changed their lifestyle and needed a hand up.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I hired a 5-man crew who were participating in a bonded city make-work program. Check out charities in your area. They took items to the dump, refurbished my furniture for re-sale, moved my household to an apartment, and cleaned my previous home top to bottom. No fuss. $600. Plus I was helping out people who had changed their lifestyle and needed a hand up.
I’ll do some research.

Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island