Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:22 PM

393 posts, read 1,880,887 times

Advertisements

Basically after I relocate I will be starting anew and thinking of getting some nice, but basically inexpensive household items like dishwares, linens, rugs and things!

I would like to get some basic opinions on the best place to shop for these things, I am not a shopper so I have lots and lots of old used belongings so I can dispose of them, and get new. I don't like buying expensive things, because I don't take care of them like I should..... but then again I want quality, do most of you shop at Kmart? Walmart? Target? for household products and decorating things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 03:46 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,544 times
I don't like shopping either, but try Big Lots.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:20 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,934 times
Another way to go for temporary and or cheap wooden goods is Goodwill or the Salvation Army stores. Don't buy couches and/or mattresses used. You have NO idea what you can wind up cohabitating with.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:22 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,603,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Basically after I relocate I will be starting anew and thinking of getting some nice, but basically inexpensive household items like dishwares, linens, rugs and things!

I would like to get some basic opinions on the best place to shop for these things, I am not a shopper so I have lots and lots of old used belongings so I can dispose of them, and get new. I don't like buying expensive things, because I don't take care of them like I should..... but then again I want quality, do most of you shop at Kmart? Walmart? Target? for household products and decorating things?
Not sure where you live, but try places like TJMaxx, Marshall's, Kirkland's has alot of nice reasonable priced stuff for decorating.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:15 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
I would rather get an item of good quality at a thrift store or flea market, than a cheap item at WalMart. Now I do like Walmart for general household goods, but not things like furniture. I have had more than my share of self-assembled furniture made out of nothing much more than cardboard! lol

ditto mjb, TJMaxx, Ross's, Marshall's...those places have department store items for really cheap. I would check there for things you can't find at flea markets/thrift stores, or for things that you would not want to buy used (like linens).

Also go to freecycle.org and see if your area has a group. Freecycling is a great way to give/get items that are free, and it keeps things from ending up in landfills. Right before we relocated, I gave away a lot of good stuff on freecycle. You never know what someone might be giving away. I have also found good stuff at church sales, garage sales, etc.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,090 times
thrift stores are the best for little knick knacks for shelves. I even go and buy some of the frames they have (which most often have horrible pictures) and put in my own photo or print that i have purchased elsewhere. Example, come lady had donated some very thick oak wood frames with some cheesy print (very old fashioned). I took it out, painted one pink and one yellow, mounted my daughters photo and they look great.

I also do the TJ Maxx and Craft stores which sell some little stands and tables with really great pricing.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:51 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,804 times
I think it's worth it to check out Target's housewares....they often seem to have 50% off, and in fact I'm planning to get a new lampshade from them tomorrow. Less than $10 for a very respectable shade to go on my at least semi-antique lamp base.

Also, do you have the stores called Tuesday Morning in your area? Their deals are at least as good as Big Lots, and I think perhaps higher quality. Don't you love a bargain? I know I do.

Last edited by Macrina; 10-02-2007 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: added..

Old 10-02-2007, 05:30 PM

52 posts, read 567,370 times
TJ Maxx, Marshalls and HomeGoods!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,235 times
Check craigslist's 'free' section (it's under the For Sale section). You'd be surprised how much stuff is on there. A lot is junk, but if you dig through the posting you can find good stuff too. Some things simply need a good cleaning.
Just be quick on calling the poster. It doesn't last long when it's free.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:06 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,108 times
Depending on where you live...don't forget about places like The Salvation Army.
You'd be surprised at what kind of things can be found there.
Some brand new, never used items. When I moved this last time I unloaded quite a bit of my stuff at a SA....clothing, housewares, blankets.
All were in practically new condition.

I also second, Tuesday Morning (http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/indexCatalogOff.asp - broken link).<----- Awesome place to find deals and steals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products